• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- -Nice little duke'em back in the day!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Nice little duke'em back in the day!

Holmes was good enough to beat Louis, but I just feel those championship rounds go to the guy who hits harder and more consistently.

I think Norton could have beaten Holmes if he'd put his foot to the pedal a little harder and little earlier. His plan to make Holmes work seemed to backfire. The best Norton probably beats the best Holmes.

While Joe could get out-boxed and was stunned by lesser punchers than Holmes, that Norton fight is screaming at me to pick Louis. He;s better than Conn and Schmeling, but is he really as crafty? Or just bigger and more technically refined?

Comment

Joe Louis vs. Larry Holmes

Holmes overwhelmingly.

None of the aforementioned great heavyweights could beat

Jack Johnson. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by ron davis View Post
          Holmes overwhelmingly.

None of the aforementioned great heavyweights could beat

Jack Johnson. Peace.
          - -So, Lar loses overwhelmingly.

No surprise.

Comment

Joe Louis vs. Larry Holmes

Vice Versa!.

"Holmes The Winner" by Ko 7th rd. 2/14/1941

Comment

Originally posted by ron davis View Post
              Vice Versa!.

"Holmes The Winner" by Ko 7th rd. 2/14/1941
              - -Tubby Lar providing the inspiration for young Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela?

Or even the concensus, unified champ?

Nope, not even close.

Comment

So many of these things could go so differently so quickly under different prevailing conditions.

Rusty Trombone makes a great insight about the so called championship rounds when he says "the fight goes to the guy who can hit harder and more consistently." Its also true, that for a puncher, these rounds are a few more opportunities to favor the odds by hitting the opponent with more potential KO shots. Louis could go all 15 and deliver such shot and had boxing skills.

If ever there was a puncher who could take Larry out, Louis, or Tyson seem to be two candidates. on the short list, I know Holmes was older, but we did see Tyson do it.

Look at the tape and we will see that post Schmelling Louis slips a jab very well. Yes Holmes hits him but Louis also can deal with the jab and get off on his own punches to the degree that Holmes defence will allow.

prime Holmes never fought a puncher like Louis. Louis wins this and possibly KO's Larry. Larry cannot stop Louis from getting in his big shots enough to win the fight, only to win rounds.
                Last edited by billeau2; 12-20-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

- -Me'n Lar never got along, but I'd genuinely feel sorry for him after Joe uses him as a basketball.

Comment

Holmes had the reach, and the jab, but I think louis would find a way to get to him, and apply some pain.

A lot would have to do with the ref, Holmes was always quick to tie up his opponents on the ropes, or after getting hit good.

I am sentimental, I will go with Louis by late stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                      Holmes was good enough to beat Louis, but I just feel those championship rounds go to the guy who hits harder and more consistently.

I think Norton could have beaten Holmes if he'd put his foot to the pedal a little harder and little earlier. His plan to make Holmes work seemed to backfire. The best Norton probably beats the best Holmes.

While Joe could get out-boxed and was stunned by lesser punchers than Holmes, that Norton fight is screaming at me to pick Louis. He;s better than Conn and Schmeling, but is he really as crafty? Or just bigger and more technically refined?
                      Good post. But, along with putting your foot to the metal, you gotta be able to not wear yourself out.
                      Fatigue hits guys in different ways, genetics.

Comment

Working...
                      X