No announcement yet.

Oscar DeLa Hoya VS Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Oscar has taken much worse shots in his career. It was simply a hard shot, in the right place, at the wrong time when he wasn't ready for it. That wasn't Oscar at his best, and he was fighting a much bigger guy. If I remember correctly Hopkins came in near 170 for that fight, significantly bigger than Oscar.

Look at the beatings Duran took when he was older and in higher weights? That was an awful part of his career, and he would be considered a bum if that's what we based his career or his chin on.
    man, I kind of know what you're trying to say but it is just ..... Look. You're obviously a massive fan of Oscar.

Although you won't believe me, I think I am as big a fan of his as you are.

But, I just look at certain styles of fighters and ATG's and look through their careers and see the little things that I think would win or lose them a fight.

I simply see Oscar losing this fight.

As for the above post: Think of it this way. Oscar lost by KO, to a body shot from Hop at 31 years of age. It was only a few months after then Sturm fight. He wasn't an old fighter with only 40 fights at 31. Duran had had eighty fights by 31. I'm not saying this is some thing that makes him better...so relax before you think I'm ****ting on him. It's just a fact.

Duran was able to win the MW title of a massive (as big as Hopkins) MW titlist who went on to win more titles than Hopkins and fight in more divisions. Now, all I'm saying is Duran got hurt by one guy. Hearns. Oscar is not Hearns with either hand. In my opinion (and you think differently as I realise ok? don't 'flame' me) Oscar is more able to be hurt than Duran.......but only to the body! Both guys had freak chins. Oscar took massive shots and I believe (again, this is just my opinion so don't lose it) Duran took even bigger shots from bigger punchers.

I don;t now man. ITb is what it is.

Comment

Duran was pretty close to unstoppable at 135

Comment

Duran was so unstoppable as a lightweight that he felt the need to avoid unifying the division against Rodolfo Gonzalez when he had the chance.

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Says the troll who thinks Joe Frazier is a bum.

I don't follow that division but I still know of the greats that fight in those classes, as that isn't very hard to follow.

Nobody brought up that glass jawed,cherry picking leech until you mentioned him.

browsing boxrec doesn't give you any real idea on any of these greats that you claim to know of.
        Last edited by Snopkins; 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snopkins View Post
          To acknowledge him as a top 3 140lb fighter,you'd actually have to know of that divisions history.Judging by your overall ignorance of the sport and it's history,I'd say you really haven't got a clue.

In regards to De La Hoya's heart,well,if Jim Lampley and the other cheerleaders at hbo said De La Hoya was the bravest,greatest warrior to ever grace the ring,then it must be true.

Perhaps it's worth noting that De La Hoya backed off from Quartey in the twelfth round of their fight.He had Quartey right where he wanted and because he felt a little tired he simply backed off and didn't throw another punch after that.
          Who is this post in regards to?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            man, I kind of know what you're trying to say but it is just ..... Look. You're obviously a massive fan of Oscar.

Although you won't believe me, I think I am as big a fan of his as you are.

But, I just look at certain styles of fighters and ATG's and look through their careers and see the little things that I think would win or lose them a fight.

I simply see Oscar losing this fight.

As for the above post: Think of it this way. Oscar lost by KO, to a body shot from Hop at 31 years of age. It was only a few months after then Sturm fight. He wasn't an old fighter with only 40 fights at 31. Duran had had eighty fights by 31. I'm not saying this is some thing that makes him better...so relax before you think I'm ****ting on him. It's just a fact.

Duran was able to win the MW title of a massive (as big as Hopkins) MW titlist who went on to win more titles than Hopkins and fight in more divisions. Now, all I'm saying is Duran got hurt by one guy. Hearns. Oscar is not Hearns with either hand. In my opinion (and you think differently as I realise ok? don't 'flame' me) Oscar is more able to be hurt than Duran.......but only to the body! Both guys had freak chins. Oscar took massive shots and I believe (again, this is just my opinion so don't lose it) Duran took even bigger shots from bigger punchers.

I don;t now man. ITb is what it is.
            I would never question anybody that says Duran would beat Oscar. I was simply playing devils advocate and saying I'd give Oscar the nod and it turned into a good debate. Had I not said anything we'd have a thread saying Duran KO's him, breaks his ribs, eye sockets, etc. and then it would have closed.

I don't see the fight going that way but anybody that says Duran would beat Oscar is entitled to that opinion and that's probably what would happen, but I don't see it happening as easy as some do, and I believe that anybody who believes Duran would murder Oscar in the ring doesn't know what they're talking about.

Comment

the best duran at lightweight and welterweight gives de la hoya a bad beating

Comment

Originally posted by Snopkins View Post
                Duran was so unstoppable as a lightweight that he felt the need to avoid unifying the division against Rodolfo Gonzalez when he had the chance.

So tell us how you know its Durans fault this fight never came to be? Because you read on boxrec that Gonzalez wanted the fight and it didn't happen? It couldn't have been contrasting schedules in '73? It couldn't have been because Gonzalez lost to a fighter Duran had previously beaten, in '74? Tell us, what is the defining factor that Duran AVOIDED this fight?

Nobody brought up that glass jawed,cherry picking leech until you mentioned him.

browsing boxrec doesn't give you any real idea on any of these greats that you claim to know of.

Lmfao!!! Have you ever heard the phrase "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"?

Comment

First i would like to say that Duran was alot harder to hit than most people think.SRL said the same thing.

Duran wins comfortable at Lightweight,and 8-6-1 at welterweight.

The Duran who beat Davey Moore at 154 beats Oscar as well.

I rate Duran higher as an ATG.

I think Duran's body work and slipping of punches is what wins him this fight.Duran fought so relaxed that it gave him more stamina,and he could go the distance at a pace that Oscar never experienced before.

Comment

Working...
                  X