Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tall Puncher's vs Short Pressure Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    smaller fighter usually wins.. its harder to punch down than up, if a fighter is 6ft 6ins punching down against a 5ft 11ins fighter who has to punch up, the taller fighters chin is just the right height at around 6ft for the smaller fighter to hit it with maximum power in his punch, whereas the taller fighter cannot get full leverage into a downward punch on the smaller fighters chin which will be around 5ft 5in. this is assuming both fighters are of similar ability.. Joe Frazier bobbing & weaving his chin would be at the 5ft height he would then deliver left-hooks with devastating power to land on the chin of his opponent at around the 6ft mark
    Good analysis....

Comment

Us short fighters either need a jab or have to be a good counter-puncher. I personally like to throw the straight right to get in then cause havoc while inside.

Comment

A few examples of this style of match-up I would like to throw out (sorry if these have already been mentioned)

Zarate-Zamora
        Zarate-Pintor

Chacon-Lopez (Bobby is listed as only two inches shorter but Danny seemed to have a sizable advantage over him)

Mancini-Arguello

Monshipour-Sithchatchawal

Pryor-Cervantes
        Pryor-Arguello I-II (These two fights I think are great examples, especiallly the Cervantes fight)

Basilio-Robinson I-II

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K10 View Post
          Us short fighters either need a jab or have to be a good counter-puncher. I personally like to throw the straight right to get in then cause havoc while inside.
          Good inside game is the shorter fighters best friend, if you take away distance, you take away the height advantage

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
            Good inside game is the shorter fighters best friend, if you take away distance, you take away the height advantage
            It always makes for a great fight when you get two fighters of contrasting physical stature meet at world level.. It really is 50-50 as to who wins.. Williams Martinez, Martinez Pavlik, is the latest example..

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              smaller fighter usually wins.. its harder to punch down than up
              i disagree i find it much much much more draining and difficult to to continually punch at eye lvl then just a few inches lower at chest lvl.

Comment

Working...
              X