No announcement yet.

Best Exits from the Sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Exits from the Sport?

Fighters who went out on top or in a timely, dignified manner (I'm not including fighters who died tragically like Villa or Sanchez):

Top tier: Marciano, Carbajal, Lopez, Galaxy

Mid Tier: Lewis, Foreman (controversial loss), Dempsey (controversial loss), Jofre

Mickey Ward is up there, with the conclusion of his trilogy with Arturo Gatti.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
      Fighters who went out on top or in a timely, dignified manner (I'm not including fighters who died tragically like Villa or Sanchez):

Top tier: Marciano, Carbajal, Lopez, Galaxy

Mid Tier: Lewis, Foreman (controversial loss), Dempsey (controversial loss), Jofre
      Marciano is the obvious choice, but Im partial to Carbajal. He was written off after his loss to Matala and than fought his way back to a title shot only to get thrashed and pull victory out of the jaws of defeat. Thats just a movie style ending.....you gotta love it!!

I think many would disagree with this one but I loved the way Pazienza went out. I was at that fight and it was a great, emotional night. Paz was a done fighter by this time but wanted to get 50 career wins before he retired. He could have picked a guy he knew he could beat, that would ensure his 50th win. Instead he took on a fighter who wasn't great by any means, but at the time had the ability to beat Vinny. It might have only been Tocker Pudwill, but Paz turned back the clock and fought a great, great fight that night. Certainly not the best card I ever attended, but it was amongst the most memorable. Lots of celebs in the crowd, Duran walked Paz out and was cheering him ringside. Great way to go out in my opinion.

Comment

lennox lewis,marvin hagler,joe calzhage,mike spinks even though he went out on a k.o.

Comment

I thought Alexis Arguello's exit after his second loss to Pryor was classy. Unfortunitely he marred it by coming back a couple more times.

Comment

Joe Louis retiring as champion was great, especially after avenging the first, controversial Walcott fight. Shame he had to come back because of money problems.

Comment

Can't forget Gene Tunney. Retired as the Heavyweight champion

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Joe Louis retiring as champion was great, especially after avenging the first, controversial Walcott fight. Shame he had to come back because of money problems.
                Obviously I'm not including guys who initially retired in a good way, then came back - there are plenty of this type (Louis and Arguello were mentioned). Tunney is a good pick.

Comment

Lennox Lewis for sure.

Beaten everyman he's EVER faced.

He beat the best of the past, Present (for his time), and the future (VK)

Comment

Originally posted by BEEHOP View Post
                    Lennox Lewis for sure.

Beaten everyman he's EVER faced.

He beat the best of the past, Present (for his time), and the future (VK)
                    Nevertheless, he hurt his legacy by not rematching Klitschko before retiring - a fight I think if he came in shape for he would not have had great trouble with. He left with unanswered questions in the eyes of the casual fan, justified or not. This is why I can't include him in the top tier, but he's close.

Comment

Working...
                    X