No announcement yet.

The sad story of Rocky Lockridge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sad story of Rocky Lockridge

I just got through watching the show "Intervention" on A&E. Usually they show regular people who you've never heard of with addiction to drug, alcohol or both. But when I read the preview for tonights show it caught my eye because it said ex boxer struggles with alcohol and crack addiction.

For the past 15 years Rocky Lockridge has struggled with these addictions and has been homeless for 10 on the streets of Camden NJ. I knew he had a stroke some years back but I had no idea he had fallen so far. This was one of the saddest shows I've ever watched. It literally brought tears to my eyes. I can remember watching Rocky in the mid to late 80's, I believe he fought on ABC or CBS in a few Saturday afternoon fights which were pretty popular back then. I also remember vividly the ko centerfold of him on the wall of the first gym I ever fought out of.

Anyway, Rockies estranged sons who he had not been in contact with got him into a treatment program. It said his recovery was slow but he was making progress. Unfortunately he left treatment after 90 day against the advice of counselors but moved in with a sober friend in Louisiana. Supposedly he has been sober since I think November 2009, but things like this are often a long and rough road.

Heres to hoping he gets his life together, he was a good fighter and a good champion. If anyone has anymore information it would be appreciated.

The % of athletes who fall into severe depression is really quite high. The intense felling you get, or the high to put it a different way, is such an amazing feeling when you train every day so hard. Your body feels strong, you're mentally strong and feel good and then when you stop suddenly, it all just throws you to hell.

You don't have the same regimen, your body slows down and goes into a sort of laziness shock and mentally you slacken as well. I know from experience the hell you go through after stopping intense training. It really messes you up.

Being used to some kind of intense high, which had previously come from training and winning etc, they look to something else to fill that void and sadly it is usually drugs and booze.

Lockridge was great to watch man. That's really awful. I used to watch his old fights and some of them were true ATG wars. His first fight with Lopez was incredible. Man, I hope he pulls through. It is a long, hideous, horrible, painful uphill battle all the way. If he can show as much vigilance for that as he did in his boxing days, all will be well.

Comment

Just on the great Lockridge, did anyone have Gomez beating him? The powers that be in boxing obviously wanted Gomez to win that third title in his third division, but does anyone actually believe he did win?

I always feel bad about that fight. It was Lockridge's big name fight and, in my opinion, he got screwed.

Anyone else? Lockridge was really in his prime at that point. The later fights against Lopez were as he had slowed and become much easier to hit, not that he was ever Pep reborn.

I kind of felt he was often screwed over in his career to be honest. He lost those two BS decisions to Eusebio Pedroza over fifteen and then won all but four rounds in a fifteen round fight against Gomez, imo, and got screwed out of that one too. He had one of those frustrating careers in which every decision in big name fights he had seemed to go the other way no matter how much he won by. Boxing sucks that way.
      Last edited by BennyST; 04-06-2010, 06:47 AM.

Comment

No way Gomez beat him. The last three rounds were nothing rounds and the judges gave them to Gomez(and the fight). I had Rocky winning even if he would have lost the last three rounds. It was the Gomez fight that actually made me want to respond, not about the bad decision but about Rocky's response. He was a good guy, humble and respectful, especially in the interview after the fight.

This sure brings back memories, his fight with Juan Laporte, his fights with Cornelius Boza Edwards, Pedroza and especialy the Roger Mayweather fight!

Comment

I watched this last night...quite sad. It seemed to have a positive ending, but as you say, relapse is often a very real outcome.

Very dramatic intervention though. His sons were quite intense (and rightfully so).

Comment

If you missed A&E Intervention last night, you can view all off the segments of the show at the A&E Interventions site!

Intervention - Video - A&E TV

Yes, I watched it along with the NCAA Champion basketball game (picture and picture).

It was so sad, as I knew Rocky when he trained with my good friend Lou Duva in New Jersey. They even wrote that he won the New Jersey Boxer of the Year, which I gave to him in 1987. In 2000, we Inducted him into the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame and as the President, I gave him that award too.

I saw a change in him from 1987 to 2000, BUT I thought it was just me. He use to be a very smart guy & talked so well so it really hurts to see him this way. Several months ago, they had an article on him and a short clip and that hurt, but nothing like this.

Hopefully he stays clean, I will be praying for him.

Thanks, Henry

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I just got through watching the show "Intervention" on A&E. Usually they show regular people who you've never heard of with addiction to drug, alcohol or both. But when I read the preview for tonights show it caught my eye because it said ex boxer struggles with alcohol and crack addiction.

For the past 15 years Rocky Lockridge has struggled with these addictions and has been homeless for 10 on the streets of Camden NJ. I knew he had a stroke some years back but I had no idea he had fallen so far. This was one of the saddest shows I've ever watched. It literally brought tears to my eyes. I can remember watching Rocky in the mid to late 80's, I believe he fought on ABC or CBS in a few Saturday afternoon fights which were pretty popular back then. I also remember vividly the ko centerfold of him on the wall of the first gym I ever fought out of.

Anyway, Rockies estranged sons who he had not been in contact with got him into a treatment program. It said his recovery was slow but he was making progress. Unfortunately he left treatment after 90 day against the advice of counselors but moved in with a sober friend in Louisiana. Supposedly he has been sober since I think November 2009, but things like this are often a long and rough road.

Heres to hoping he gets his life together, he was a good fighter and a good champion. If anyone has anymore information it would be appreciated.
              I watched the A&E show last night, and I agree with you, it was very depressing. His fall from grace is too far common among athletes. I hope he is sincere in getting his life together.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                I watched the A&E show last night, and I agree with you, it was very depressing. His fall from grace is too far common among athletes. I hope he is sincere in getting his life together.

I believe he is sincere. Unfortunately it takes more than that. Most people relapse over and over before getting their life together, if at all. I wish the best for him, but I've seen people not as bad with way more resources not make it.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I believe he is sincere. Unfortunately it takes more than that. Most people relapse over and over before getting their life together, if at all. I wish the best for him, but I've seen people not as bad with way more resources not make it.
                  I first saw Rocky as an amateur boxer who fought several times on ABC in the USA vs the World in Boxing series. He then was on NBC on Tomorrow's Champions. The first major fight I saw him in was against Juan Laporte. Laporte ko'd him in the 2nd round with a right cross from hell. The following year, he ko'd Roger Mayweather with that same punch in the 1st round. His fights with Tony Lopez were epic wars, and he was blatantly robbed against Wilfredo Gomez. A borderline HOF'er who was a warrior and a great, exciting fighter. Also gave JCC one of his toughest fights at 130 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                  X