• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by louis54 View Post
    they are dead
    Thomas Hauser certainly isnt.

Comment

Originally posted by BOX2008 View Post
      Who in your opinion are the best boxing historians?
      As a kid, before 24 hour sports talk radio became popular, Art Rust, Jr. had a talk show on WABC radio in NYC throughout the 80's. He was the most knowledgeable man I ever heard talk about boxing. He had a nightly show from 6-10 where he would always add about the great fights of the past. Sadly, he became destitute and died a few months ago. Today, Tony Page, who works 1am-6am on WFAN, continues in the tradition of Rust. He, along with Yankee great Willie Randolph, attended Rust's funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
        As a kid, before 24 hour sports talk radio became popular, Art Rust, Jr. had a talk show on WABC radio in NYC throughout the 80's. He was the most knowledgeable man I ever heard talk about boxing. He had a nightly show from 6-10 where he would always add about the great fights of the past. Sadly, he became destitute and died a few months ago. Today, Tony Page, who works 1am-6am on WFAN, continues in the tradition of Rust. He, along with Yankee great Willie Randolph, attended Rust's funeral.
        I never heard Rust's radio show, but he did a fine job on Joe Louis' biography.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          I'm not saying he wasn't a knowledgeable boxing historian, but Rust and his wife were better known as baseball journalists..

Wasn't it his biography on Louis that mentions the controversial Lana Turner incident?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            I'm not saying he wasn't a knowledgeable boxing historian, but Rust and his wife were better known as baseball journalists..

Wasn't it his biography on Louis that mentions the controversial Lana Turner incident?

Lena Horne, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

You would have loved him, Malone. Only sports talk radio host to go weeks talking boxing. He had all the greats from the 80's on his show. He also wrote books on Darryl Strawberry and the Negro Leagues. He also announced the first Spinks-Holmes fight on the radio and was the lead announcer for the Luis resto-Billy Collins tragedy. His color commentators-Jake and Vicky Lamotta. Most knowlegeable man to ever host a mainstream talk show.

Comment

Jab, if you ever want to hear a great post fight analysis of a major fight, go to WFAN.COM and tune in to Tony Page. He is the most passionate and knowledgeable guy who talks about boxing on the radio. He was a Rust disciple. Page was also once the BWAA President.

Comment

Jab, if you ever want to hear a great post fight analysis of a major fight, go to WFAN.COM and tune in to Tony Page. He is the most passionate and knowledgeable guy who talks about boxing on the radio. He was a Rust disciple. Page was also once the BWAA President.
                  I'll have to check that out. Thank you.

Comment

Lena Horne, yes.
                    I often get those two muddled

Yes, of course, it was the other one from the same era with a similar name..
                    I was referring to the incident that often gets grossly exaggerated by a certain member.

Comment

You would have loved him, Malone. Only sports talk radio host to go weeks talking boxing. He had all the greats from the 80's on his show. He also wrote books on Darryl Strawberry and the Negro Leagues. He also announced the first Spinks-Holmes fight on the radio and was the lead announcer for the Luis resto-Billy Collins tragedy. His color commentators-Jake and Vicky Lamotta. Most knowlegeable man to ever host a mainstream talk show.
                      For sure.. I've read some of his stuff, and have occasionaly referenced him for information.. He was indeed, very knowledgeable on a number of sports..
                      I once made the mistake of cross referencing something he'd written about Louis, with one of the trolls on here, and questioned his reputation as a historian.. In doing that, I learned a valuable lesson, that Rust was telling the truth, and the troll was just adding his own unfounded exaggerations..

I wasn't aware Rust had died, and I'm surprised about him being destitute too.. It almost echo's the death of Louis who died in the same circumstances (or would have done, had it not been for 'Sir' Max Schmeling) shortly after Rust had completed the Bio..
                      It wasn't so long ago, I was reading one of his 'straight to the point' articles on racism in sport, very interesting and quite funny at times also..
                      RIP - to a man I once wrongly labeled as a Baseball correspondant..

Comment

Working...
                      X