No announcement yet.

Overrated Bad Decisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Both Marquez-Pacquiao fights. Knockdowns count people.

Froch-Dirrell. I thought Froch did nothing and lost the fight but Dirrell lost it himself.

De La Hoya-Trinidad. Bottom line is Trinidad kept fighting and Oscar decided to give away the end of the fight.

It can be looked at this way, but Oscar still controlled the fight, landed more punches and was the better ring general throughout. I believe I had him winning 8 rounds, but I could understand an argument for 7. Without a KD I just don't see how Tito deserved that decision. NO WAY Tito won 7 rounds. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      [/B]

It can be looked at this way, but Oscar still controlled the fight, landed more punches and was the better ring general throughout. I believe I had him winning 8 rounds, but I could understand an argument for 7. Without a KD I just don't see how Tito deserved that decision. NO WAY Tito won 7 rounds. Jmo.
      I agree, I thought De La Hoya won as well but you cannot count on judging in professional boxing and when you deliberately give away the last 4 rounds like Oscar did the judges like to punish you.

Comment

Originally posted by Royalty View Post
        I strongly disagree with the ones in bold.

Many people use the excuse that Dirrell "lost it himself".. but what did he really do? He made Froch miss, most of the night, and landed more effective punches. I just think it's an excuse that was started by Froch fans and others actually bought into it.

As for DLH-Trinidad, that wasn't close, at all in my opinion. DLH gave away the final rounds, but I thought he gave Trinidad a boxing lesson in the rest of the fight. I don't know how anyone could've given the fight to Trinidad.
        I thought Dirrell won as well but it isn't the blatant robbery many make it out to be. The first 5 or 6 rounds saw both fighters very tentative to do anything, and in the champ's hometown they will give those rounds to the champ if they can. Definite hometown decision, a little overrated as a blatant robbery.

Comment

Every close Hopkins fight. A lot of people claim every close fight Bernard has ever been in that didn't go his way is a robbery, and they weren't they were all close fights that either could win.

Comment

I agree, I thought De La Hoya won as well but you cannot count on judging in professional boxing and when you deliberately give away the last 4 rounds like Oscar did the judges like to punish you.

Thats a fair point. But how much can you punish a fighter who swept at least 6 of the first 8 rounds and with no knockdowns? I haven't scored it in awhile, but I've watched it plenty of times and just can't find a way to give Tito that fight. That said, watching a fight live and watching it on tv are two different things.

Comment

I thought Dirrell won as well but it isn't the blatant robbery many make it out to be. The first 5 or 6 rounds saw both fighters very tentative to do anything, and in the champ's hometown they will give those rounds to the champ if they can. Definite hometown decision, a little overrated as a blatant robbery.
              it depends on what you like really.froch did show aggression but if the fight was scored on clean punching alone dirrell would have won by a landslide,and im sure if the fight was staged in a neutral country the scorecards would have reflected that

i have yet to speak to a froch fan who can name 6 clear rounds that he won and that annoys me.all they seem to say is 'you have to take the belt from the champ in a convincing way' 'dirrell was fighting like a *****' etc etc

i understand what they are trying to say,but they are acting like dirrell should have come over here and stood toe-to-toe with a brawler if he wanted the belt,when in fact the best strategy was to box and move like he did

Comment

Joe frazier vs Oscar bonavena and Roberto Duran vs Iran barkley.

Oh wait! My mistake.

This topic isn't about an overrated fighter who was declared the winner in a bad decision.

My apologies.

Comment

You thought that Barkley won that fight? More over, you thought Duran was overrated? Are you crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Snopkins View Post
                    Joe frazier vs Oscar bonavena and Roberto Duran vs Iran barkley.

Oh wait! My mistake.

This topic isn't about an overrated fighter who was declared the winner in a bad decision.

My apologies.

Comment

Yes,and so did the one judge who actually scored the fight correctly.

fights are scored round by round,not the last quarter.barkley dominated the vast majority of the fight except the last three and the first rounds.barkley was the far more consistent fighter throughout,and contrary to the claims of the Duran apologists,Duran most certainly didn't spend the entire night slipping everything barkley threw.

And yes,Roberto "I never lost a fight" Duran is incredibly overrated.
                      Last edited by Snopkins; 03-11-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X