Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters Who People Think Are Overrated, But You Don't?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
    Barkley can make most fighters look bad! tommy hearns could never deal with barkley, at leat nunn got the win, same with starling nunn had to lose ten pounds just a couple of days before that fight but still beat a tricky fighter in starling, At his best nunn beats hearns, sugar ray and duran and all 3 of them knew it and wanted no part of nunn. There was alot of talk of nunn being a great in his prime after knocking out the the slick avoided kalambay, takeing the unbeaten record of gold medalist frank tate and beating former world champions barkley and curry, that does not make fans ask could this fighter be a great? of course it does! plus you have sugar ray, duran and hearns avoiding nunn
    At his best and them being past their primes is what you should have said, because all 3 were well past their best days and engaged in a somewhat of a seniors tour.

Nunn was never great in my opinion, only highly talented. He also wasted much of that talent on boring lackluster performances he looked like he had no interest in fighting. None of that makes for an all time great in my opinion.

Combine all this with the fact that his biggest wins came at the tail end of his opponents careers, his loss to Toney, and that fact that the rest of his career was very ordinary. I just can't rate him as an all time great.
    Last edited by JAB5239; 03-09-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Mike Tyson

The man is clearly a top 10 Heavyweight, and closer to 5 than to 10 imo. Buttt because he never beat a prime elite fighter he gets a bad rep.

News flash: There were none available to fight him while he was still prime. It's not like the man ducked people.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
        Mike Tyson

The man is clearly a top 10 Heavyweight, and closer to 5 than to 10 imo. Buttt because he never beat a prime elite fighter he gets a bad rep.

News flash: There were none available to fight him while he was still prime. It's not like the man ducked people.
        The same argument could be made for Marciano and Holmes though.

Poet

Comment

The names tagged with "(by some)" aren't GENERALLY overrated but have a VERY vocal group of detractors.

Jack Johnson (by some)
          Jack Dempsey
          Larry Holmes
          Sonny Liston
          Rocky Marciano
          Joe Frazier
          Joe Louis (by some)

Roy Jones (by some)
          Michael Spinks

Marvin Hagler
          Bernard Hopkins
          Bob Fitzsimmons
          Herol Graham
          Charley Burley

Ray Robinson (by some)
          Oscar De La Hoya

Roberto Duran (by some)
          Joe Gans

Alexis Arguello (by some)
          Manny Pacquiao (by some)

Comment

I'd say the Americans give Joe Calzaghe a bit more flack than he maybe warrants. Usually justified by the mysterious and elusive Calzaghe nuthuggers who apparently brand him the greatest of all time.

Bernard Hopkins gets a bit more criticism than he deserves too. The often stated "he only beat smaller men" argument has me pulling out my hair.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
              I'd say the Americans give Joe Calzaghe a bit more flack than he maybe warrants. Usually justified by the mysterious and elusive Calzaghe nuthuggers who apparently brand him the greatest of all time.

Bernard Hopkins gets a bit more criticism than he deserves too. The often stated "he only beat smaller men" argument has me pulling out my hair.
              I actually like Calzaghe, but the arguments that he was just as far past his best as either Jones or Hopkins are infuriating. I honestly see no way Calzaghe troubles a prime Jones at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
                I actually like Calzaghe, but the arguments that he was just as far past his best as either Jones or Hopkins are infuriating. I honestly see no way Calzaghe troubles a prime Jones at all.
                I agree. I would say that he was past his physical prime though, although quite clearly not anywhere near shot like Jones was.

Comment

Definately not Joe Frazier.

To me,the most overrated fighter of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    The same argument could be made for Marciano and Holmes though.

Poet
                    Holmes, definitely. And I rate him even higher than Tyson.

Marciano, meh. He only had and 8.5 year career and left on the rise of Floyd Patterson & Sonny Liston. The rumor that he was going to come out of retirement to fight Ingo Bingo should he have defeated Patterson in the rematch also raises eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Royalty View Post
                      Naseem Hamed.

Despite people saying he got "exposed" by Barrera, he was a very dominant force in boxing, during his prime. He was the man at the featherweight division and one of, if not the, hardest P4P punchers in featherweight history.
                      best pick so far...

Comment

Working...
                      X