Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Had A Good Chin In His Prime!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones Had A Good Chin In His Prime!

I hate when people say Jones's chin was always his weakness. But at his peak years, his chin was never a issue. He got hit by the likes of Hopkins, Toney, Ruiz and stayed up and was never hurt.

Here's a video that proves it.

His chin only declined when he cut so much weight to go back to 175lb, which affected his punch resistance and he was also 35 years of age.

In this video Jones, gets hit with some heavy leather and still stays up.

Paulie
    Last edited by .Paulie.; 02-05-2010, 05:28 PM.

I agree all the way. But was he a good jabber?

Comment

Roy in his prime was the ATG, in my opinion the only who can beat him in his prime was Lewis at Hevi, probably

Comment

Originally posted by nachorjj View Post
        Roy in his prime was the ATG, in my opinion the only who can beat him in his prime was Lewis at Hevi, probably
        Haven't watched much boxing have you?

Poet

Comment

Definitely overblown that RJ has always had a weak chin. When you fight the way Roy does you are going to take shots, and Roy took them just fine until the move back down from heavyweight.

Comment

I saw that video before. Jones had a great chin at his natural weight.

Actually, I had never heard the Chin references until I came to this site. That thought never caught my attention when I watched him fight.

Comment

I agree, his chin was fine until Tarver.

Other fighters whose normally excellent chins became worse after gaining and losing weight:

Sugar Ray Leonard
              Ricky Hatton
              Rid**** Bowe
              Chris Byrd

Comment

Some valid points made about weight-making, but lets face it, Jones in his quest for fame and fortune, was the one to blame for all of that..
                If he'd ever fought punchers like McClellan, Jackson or Benn, we'd have seen the 'real' truth.. I know it's quite likely, he'd have slipped and bobbed his way to victories over all three, but the only fight we have to go by in his prime was David Telesco, a noted puncher, but exposed at top level, and not in the same league as the other 3, who i believe, if any of them had connected, Roy would'a gone..
                I have no doubt, that gaining and dropping weight would have affected his legs, reflexes and timing, far more than it would have done his chin.. This isn't to say that he's got a particularly bad chin, but it was definitely 'do'able in his prime..

Roy's style is hands low, come and get me, slip, dodge, counter: a naturally gifted 'quick-twitch' technique that can only be perfected by an athlete in his prime.. No one was more gifted in this department than Roy, and I think this was complimented with an "OK" chin aswell.. If i'm honest, i don't think Benn or Jackson would have beaten him either, but i do think a pre-damaged McClellan would have, more than likely knocked him out..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Some valid points made about weight-making, but lets face it, Jones in his quest for fame and fortune, was the one to blame for all of that..
                  If he'd ever fought punchers like McClellan, Jackson or Benn, we'd have seen the 'real' truth.. I know it's quite likely, he'd have slipped and bobbed his way to victories over all three, but the only fight we have to go by in his prime was David Telesco, a noted puncher, but exposed at top level, and not in the same league as the other 3, who i believe, if any of them had connected, Roy would'a gone..
                  I have no doubt, that gaining and dropping weight would have affected his legs, reflexes and timing, far more than it would have done his chin.. This isn't to say that he's got a particularly bad chin, but it was definitely 'do'able in his prime..

Roy's style is hands low, come and get me, slip, dodge, counter: a naturally gifted 'quick-twitch' technique that can only be perfected by an athlete in his prime.. No one was more gifted in this department than Roy, and I think this was complimented with an "OK" chin aswell.. If i'm honest, i don't think Benn or Jackson would have beaten him either, but i do think a pre-damaged McClellan would have, more than likely knocked him out..
                  wow, do any of you suppossed knowledgable posters of boxingscene know anything about any fighters besides the ones that fought in black and white?

Comment

Originally posted by tehMatrix View Post
                    wow, do any of you suppossed knowledgable posters of boxingscene know anything about any fighters besides the ones that fought in black and white?
                    What exactly do you not agree with in his post? Who were the great punchers Jones faced?

Comment

Working...
                    X