Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you name guys who maybe shouldn't have been in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Saad Muhammed, Rosario, and Terry Norris are all HOFers, I don't see any reason why Miguel Cotto isn't one already. Do you agree?

What did these three above mentioned do that Cotto hasn't done?

Terry Norris is the only one of the 3 with a win over a HOFer (Leonard). Cotto has beaten a sure fire HOFer in Mosley.

Rosario won a LW title 3 times and a JWW title once. Cotto won a JWW title once, and a WW title twice.

Muhammed won a LHW title once and successfully defended it 8 times, Norris successfully defended his JMW title 10 times. Cotto successfully defended his JWW belt 6 times, then moved up to WW and won a belt, defending it 4 times before losing to Margarito.

So Cotto has won 3 world titles in 2 weight divisions, successfully defending his titles a total of 11 times. Only two losses, one against a ATG, and the other against a convicted cheater. And Cotto has a victory against a HOF fighter (Mosley), which only one of the previously mentioned 3 have.

If these 3 are HOFers, so is Cotto.

Comment

I have always considered it a bit unfair that Terry Norris is in there while Nigel Benn is constantly overlooked.

Benn and Norris have similar resumes (early KO losses, 2 world titles, then three straight defeats once past-prime to end their career) yet Norris got in while Benn isn't even nominated. If anything I feel that Benn has the better wins.

Barry McGuigan got in partly because he has done a lot to help ex-boxers and charities, and because of the impact he had in the UK while he was world champion. Back then there was a lot of troubles in Northern Ireland and the communities were divided along religious/political lines. They still are to an extent, but things have improved a lot since the 1980s. Anyway, McGuigan married a woman who was a different religion to himself, and helped to bring the different communities together. I can understand that a lot of people don't think that stuff should come into consideration when choosing who gets in, but I figured I'd mention it anyway, as it is a factor in why he's in there.

Comment

Unlike the other HOFs, the boxing HOF is all about popularity. It's not really a gage of how good a fighter is.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Unlike the other HOFs, the boxing HOF is all about popularity. It's not really a gage of how good a fighter is.

Poet
          So Cotto will surely be a HOFer, right?

He's very famous and popular and gets mentioned with the other great Puerto Rican fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
            So Cotto will surely be a HOFer, right?

He's very famous and popular and gets mentioned with the other great Puerto Rican fighters.
            I think he'll almost certainly get in, at least if he keeps his fan base up until his retirement.

Poet

Comment

Working...
            X