Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greater Heavyweight - Floyd Patterson or Max Schmeling?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obama View Post
    Here's the thing. Had all the close fights gone Patterson's way, his resume is superior. I'd rate him ahead. But they didn't. And as it stands, Schemeling's resume completely ****s on Patterson. It's not close. This comes up in the W column for Schmeling:

Gipsy Daniels *Natural Light Heavyweight
    Joe Sekyra
    Johnny Risko
    Paulino Uzcudun (x2)
    Jack Sharkey
    Young Stribling *Natural Light Heavyweight
    Mickey Walker *Natural Middleweight, but proven at Heavyweight
    Walter Neusel
    Steve Hamas
    Joe Louis
    Ben Foord
    Steve Dudas

That's 4 hall of famers and the very under rated Uzcudun and Hamas, among others for those not hip to the game. Hall of famers are italicized.

These are not just rated fighters. You can actually get rated without beating a fighter worth a damn in your entire career. Look at some of the guys in the HW top 10 right now for proof. These fighters that Schmeling beat ACTUALLY beat people that mattered.

Then there's the other thing. Patterson in his prime ducked practically every one out there who was likely to beat him. His first reign as Heavyweight Champion was one of the most protected reigns of all time. His level of opposition was even worse than what people criticize the Klitschkos for facing today, yet he actually had great Heavyweights to defend against. He ducked Zora Folley, Cleveland Williams, Liston for a long time, and Machen for an even longer time (Machen was past it by the time they fought). Yea, supposedly he would have fought Machen earlier had Machen not had that fluke KO loss to Johansson, but he should have fought Machen before that. It's not like Machen wasn't the #1 rated Heavyweight in the world at the end of 1957 after defeating Joey Maxim twice and Tommy Jackson in the same year. Floyd's 1957 also included beating Jackson, but his only other win came against a man with 0 professional fights. This man also knocked him down in the 2nd round. O yea, did I mention the Jackson fight was actually a rematch of a SD win he obtained a year previously? Jackson was not very good. He milked a career out of beating a faded Charles and Layne, two guys he'd never have a chance against in their prime, Charles especially.

The fact that Patterson needed a trilogy with Johannson didn't help matters either. All that did was tie the title up for 2 more years. The real fighters in the division stayed busy.

Johannson's next fight after Machen was Patterson. By the time he finished the trilogy with Patterson, Machen had fought 14 more bouts, against Folley and Liston included. Liston had fought 13 more bouts, against Folley, Machen, and Williams twice included. Folley had fought 14 more bouts, against Liston and Machen included. Williams had fought 11 more bouts, against Liston twice included. The legit top fighters of the division who actually fought the best were busy while Floyd was playing comedy with a man that retired with less than 30 fights to his name.

------

Floyd was a very exciting fighter. He had good power, incredible speed, was trained well, and always kept in good condition. But the man's skill set and chin made him a very limited fighter.
    Patterson had a limited skill set???? i have never heard anyone say that before didnt Ali say Patterson was the most skilled fighter he ever faced? Also the reason why Patterson had 3 fights with Johansson because of rematch clauses the 2nd fight was delayed due to contractual reasons so you cant blame Patterson at all for that.
    All most all of Pattersons opponents during his title reign were ranked in the top 5. It looks like you just started thuis thread to bash Patterson to be honest.

Comment

Ignore dunce.He is simply lashing out at all the users who stood up and made the right choice.He say's that the resume of Schmeiling and Patterson isn't even close and yet he has Schmeiling just two spots above Patterson

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      And would you like to poll the forum on who was better, Schemling or Patterson? I don't rate them far apart, #20 and #22 Heavyweights for me, but I'm positive people wouldn't overwhelmingly pick Patterson as the better fighter.

How's that poll coming along?
      Last edited by donkim; 12-22-2009, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X