No announcement yet.

Boxers who never did weights/pushups?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RightCross94 View Post
    You are a really good poster but that is a really outdated misconception. Virtually all the top fighters today train with weights, and if you use them properly, which means training for strength instead of training to gain size, there will be no speed losses.

Manny Pacquiao who as we all know is among the fastest fighters in the game today, uses weights.

And to be honest, I think the fact that most fighters today use weights whereas most fighters 50 or 60 years ago didn't might have been the difference in a lot of fantasy matchups between similary skiled fighters. Put two fighters in the ring with similar skill levels and attributes, and give one the benefit of state of the art strength training with weights etc, and leave one with only calisthenics to build strength, it would be the difference. I don't know how many of you have ever fought for real but if you are evenly matched with skills, speed etc and your opponent is just that bit physically stronger, often a rough night.
    Are you sure about that? The only weights I've seen him use are the small ones for some sort of shadowboxing.

Personally, I feel that weights slow me down and I perform much better without them. As for push-ups, I'm sort of on the fence about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarr View Post
      Are you sure about that? The only weights I've seen him use are the small ones for some sort of shadowboxing.

Personally, I feel that weights slow me down and I perform much better without them. As for push-ups, I'm sort of on the fence about it.
      Pacquiao has probably the most knowledgeable conditioning coach in boxing, he uses weights dude, I've heard Ariza talk about it in interviews. How do you think Manny has gone up from 130 to 147 with minimal bodyfat?

Weights don't slow you down, all the top fighters use them. That's the bottom line.

And if you are an adult fighting as an amateur and you want to step up and fight good experienced fighters, you won't want to be giving your opponents (who will be damn good) a strength advantage because they use weights and you don't.

Comment

Pacquiao has probably the most knowledgeable conditioning coach in boxing, he uses weights dude, I've heard Ariza talk about it in interviews. How do you think Manny has gone up from 130 to 147 with minimal bodyfat?
        If you say so. I don't know his training routine.

Weights don't slow you down, all the top fighters use them. That's the bottom line.

And if you are an adult fighting as an amateur and you want to step up and fight good experienced fighters, you won't want to be giving your opponents (who will be damn good) a strength advantage because they use weights and you don't.
        When I first started boxing I was using weights. Eventually, I stopped and found myself to be much faster and actually have better stamina. Maybe that's just me, though. Plus, I didn't use heavy weights. Just like some 10 pound dumbbells working the shoulders, chest and back muscles.

Comment

Manny uses light weights that he can push at a high speed. He uses medacine balls, hammer & tire etc, Manny doesn't do normal weights.

Comment

lifting weights to put on size will slow a fighter down.

If you can lift weights and stay in your intended weight class then it's not all bad. Light weights to add resistance for a hard cardio routine are great for boxing.

A lot of people want to lift weights to look good, but in boxing, you need to do a certain type. Weight lifting always slowed me down, but I liked squats, shadowing with dumbells, pull ups, fast push ups and light weight presses that I could push up at a high speed.

Whenever I bulked and swelled I lost speed.

Most athletes do a certain type of weight routine. Even sprinters who are fast but have terrible stamina, don't just "press heavyweights to put on size" The only people that do that are MMA fighters and it's to cater to it's WWE fanbase.

Whatever works though.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              Manny uses light weights that he can push at a high speed. He uses medacine balls, hammer & tire etc, Manny doesn't do normal weights.

He definitely does different types of strength training which includes weights. He also takes lots of different supplements.

And he has definitely used weights to put on size recently, look how much thicker he is with cotto compared to this photo

Last edited by RightCross94; 12-14-2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

He definitely does different types of strength training which includes weights. He also takes lots of different supplements.

And he has definitely used weights to put on size recently, look how much thicker he is with cotto compared to this photo

no, he's probably doing the same thing, only they noted he has grown naturally and was eating 7000 calories a day.

Comment

well seems he didnt lift weights for hatton atleast.

And as for the way he gets himself into shape, Pacquiao said it's both simple and grueling: "Run in the morning, do about 2,000 sit-ups, then go to the gym around 1, then do another 2,000 sit-ups, and then rest," Pacquiao said, adding, "I don't lift weights at all."

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2009/05/0...000-sit-ups-a/

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    no, he's probably doing the same thing, only they noted he has grown naturally and was eating 7000 calories a day.
                    yeah well you're right he has grown, but he's definitely done some different weight training or taken a supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ylem View Post
                      well seems he didnt lift weights for hatton atleast.

And as for the way he gets himself into shape, Pacquiao said it's both simple and grueling: "Run in the morning, do about 2,000 sit-ups, then go to the gym around 1, then do another 2,000 sit-ups, and then rest," Pacquiao said, adding, "I don't lift weights at all."

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2009/05/0...000-sit-ups-a/
                      Hmm by "lifting" weights he may mean just straight pumping iron. I've definitely head Ariza talking about the various plyometrics and strength training they do.

Comment

Working...
                      X