No announcement yet.

Was Norton a 'real' champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Norton a 'real' champion?

Ken Norton is noted as the former WBC heavyweight champion. He didn't win his title in an actual title fight, but rather awarded to him by the WBC.

Leon Spinks, the then WBC and WBA heavyweight champion, came off a victory over Ali. He was supposed to fight Ken Norton but refused to and opted for a rematch with Ali. Spinks was stripped of the title and it was rewarded to Norton, after Norton beat Jimmy Young in a title eliminator match.

He ended up losing the title in his next fight against Larry Holmes, who won the title via split decision.

Do you think Norton should be recognized as a former world champion?
    Yes
    76.47%
    No
    23.53%

I'm not a fan of fighters getting titles anywhere other than in the ring.
    However it would be a hard hearted person who didn't believe that Kenny Norton deserved to be introduced as an ex world champion. He fought in an awesomly tough era of heavyweights and made a big contribution.

Comment

Normally I'd say no. But given the calibre of fighter Norton was I'm inclined to give him a pass and say yes I have no problem with him being known as an ex-world champ.

Comment

I would say yes. Many of us thought he beat Ali but didn't get the decision. He fought Jimmy Young in a title elimination and won. Young also lost a controversial decision to Ali and was a top heavyweight. Spinks beat Ali and had to fight the winner of the the Norton-Young match but refused and fought a rematch with Ali. Norton might have held the title for awhile if not for a masterful boxer from easton Pa. But Norton should have gotten the shot against Spinks and he would have won.

Comment

Norton was a `Paper-Champion`just like Lennox Lewis.. Norton was given the belt coz Muhammad Ali fought Leon Spinks in a rematch then retired.. Lewis picked the belt out of the garbage can in 1993 he lost it then was given it back by the WBC in 96 yet he fought no-one who was a linear title holder... Lewis finally won the title in 99 on a very dubious decision over an old Holyfield, of the 48 sports reporters sat at ringside 43 had Holyfield as the winner, Lewis then refused to fight the No1 contenders Ruiz, Byrd & Vitali so was stripped of every belt... Ken Norton fought the No1 contender Larry Holmes in his 1st defence and lost on a split-decision in one of the greatest heavyweight title fights in boxing history which is a shame as Norton was a very good fighter.

Comment

No but I don't hold it against Norton, the guy was a very good fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              Norton was a `Paper-Champion`just like Lennox Lewis.. Norton was given the belt coz Muhammad Ali fought Leon Spinks in a rematch then retired.. Lewis picked the belt out of the garbage can in 1993 he lost it then was given it back by the WBC in 96 yet he fought no-one who was a linear title holder... Lewis finally won the title in 99 on a very dubious decision over an old Holyfield, of the 48 sports reporters sat at ringside 43 had Holyfield as the winner, Lewis then refused to fight the No1 contenders Ruiz, Byrd & Vitali so was stripped of every belt... Ken Norton fought the No1 contender Larry Holmes in his 1st defence and lost on a split-decision in one of the greatest heavyweight title fights in boxing history which is a shame as Norton was a very good fighter.
              Why does everything with you always come back to a slam on Lennox Lewis?

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                In 96, Lewis sued Don King for 4 million dollars because King and tyson refused to put the WBC title on the line against him, instead they decided to fight Bruce Seldon and then Holyfield. Lewis had been the number 1 contender since 1995 until February 7, 1997 when he defeated Oliver McCall to regain the title. He defeated the linear champion Shannon Briggs(by virtue of his win over George Foreman) on March 28, 1998. He was blatantly robbed in his first fight with Holyield before finally defeating him 8 months later
                Last edited by 1SILVA; 11-28-2009, 01:41 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Why does everything with you always come back to a slam on Lennox Lewis?

Poet
                  Because he's a ****.

But hey, who wants to argue? Ain't worth it, right? Can't argue with a sick mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                    In 96, Lewis sued Don King for 4 million dollars because King and tyson refused to put the WBC title on the line against him, instead they decided to fight Bruce Seldon and then Holyfield. Lewis had been the number 1 contender since 1995 until February 7, 1997 when he defeated Oliver McCall to regain the title. He defeated the linear champion Shannon Briggs(by virtue of his win over George Foreman) on March 28, 1998. He was blatantly robbed in his first fight with Holyield before finally defeating him 8 months later
                    Been done to death Silva, Sonny has his opinion and is sticking to it. Do think though though shoe horning it into a thread on Norton isn't on. I don't like one of my neighbours but I don't moan about him in a thread about Mike Tyson even though his name is Mike!

Comment

Working...
                    X