No announcement yet.

Quarry-Foster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarry-Foster

Am watching the Quarry-Foster fight on ESPN and I had to laugh when the announcer say's "the winner of tonight's fight will probably get a shot a Joe Frazier". I remember telling this to a certain poster on here but she was adamant Frazier ducked Foster. Lol, its always nice to see your thoughts and posts validated.

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Am watching the Quarry-Foster fight on ESPN and I had to laugh when the announcer say's "the winner of tonight's fight will probably get a shot a Joe Frazier". I remember telling this to a certain poster on here but she was adamant Frazier ducked Foster. Lol, its always nice to see your thoughts and posts validated.
    is this another one of your bait threads jab?

Im just kidding.

Stop by my bait thread jabby;

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324138

I would like to get your vote & opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      are you talking here of Jerry Quarry vs Mac Foster or Bob Foster vs Mike Quarry?

Jerry Quarry had already fought Joe Frazier when he fought and defeated the unbeaten Mac Foster, Jerry`s fight with Frazier was a classic.... Bob Foster had already been destroyed by Joe Frazier when he defended his Light-Heavyweight Title against Mike Quarry..

The Quarry brothers was both fantastic fighters, lacing the gloves on at age 3yrs old and fighting the best in the world during their great ring careers, sadley both died of punch-drunk syndrome.

RIP Jerry & Mike

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        are you talking here of Jerry Quarry vs Mac Foster or Bob Foster vs Mike Quarry?

Jerry Quarry had already fought Joe Frazier when he fought and defeated the unbeaten Mac Foster, Jerry`s fight with Frazier was a classic.... Bob Foster had already been destroyed by Joe Frazier when he defended his Light-Heavyweight Title against Mike Quarry..

The Quarry brothers was both fantastic fighters, lacing the gloves on at age 3yrs old and fighting the best in the world during their great ring careers, sadley both died of punch-drunk syndrome.

RIP Jerry & Mike
        Jerry vs Mac.

Comment

I was watching that and wondering how well Jerry would stack up against today's cruisers lol

Comment

Originally posted by hollister View Post
            I was watching that and wondering how well Jerry would stack up against today's cruisers lol
            Jerry vs Todays cruisers - IMO not a single cruiserweight ranked today would last beyond the 7th round against Jerry Quarry... Jerry was good enough to out-box excellent boxers like Floyd Patterson, Joey Orbillo, Thad Spencer, Larry Middleton & Buster Mathis, he punched hard enough to KO bombers like, Earnie Shavers, Mac Foster & Joe Alexander.. his chin stood up to the bombs of Ron Lyle, Joe Frazier, Mac Foster & Earnie Shavers... Jerry Quarry was a great fighter.

Comment

How about that fight! I watched it on espn classic last night too. Quarry was supposed to get another shot at frazier from that fight or maybe he did, not sure. Mac Foster landed right on the ref during that second knockdown and it complicated his already wobbly condition, but I kinda think the ref should have given him a standing 8 and let him go one more time. Still I do think Quarry would have just finished him anyhow but that last knockdown was kinda lame because Foster was kinda upended by the ref who was in the way.

Comment

I believe it was set up so that Mac Foster would go onto fight Frazier. He could not get past Quarry however. The plans went out of the window when Quarry who had already been beaten by Frazier won in decisive fashion. It was a win that rejuvenated Quarry's boxing career which was thought to be on the slide when he had been controversially KO'd by Chuvalo.

Foster was a puncher and retired holding a record of 30 knockouts in 30 wins. He looked devastating in dispatching washed up Zora Folley, Cleveland Williams and Thad Spencer but could never manage a win over an opponent in their prime. He mostly gained his reputation on having supposedly KO'd Sonny Liston in sparring.
                Last edited by TheGreatA; 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I can't see today's cruiserweights having too much success against Jerry Quarry. There's just not much talent there.

Quarry's fights against bigger, stronger punchers such as Shavers, Lyle, Foster show what a difference experience can make. Along with his brothers, Jerry had boxed since he was a little kid and knew all the tricks in the book. In those fights he put it all together and won big, despite being physically outmatched.

Comment

Beating Jerry Quarry doesn't set up a title shot,as Ali found out in 1972.If Joe Frazier and his team wanted to avoid you,then they would find anyway possible to do so.They tried to do the same with George Foreman the first time too.Two fight Frazier was too lazy to fight three times a year and would rather face an overrated light heavyweight champion,who was a proven flop as a heavyweight,just because he actually had enough confidence in his suspect chin to take the punches of a light heavyweight.So many fight's that didn't happen,all because of Frazier's blatant fear of punchers.

You really need to get over me Gabby,it's getting rather worrying that you have taken such an interest in me actually.I thought you had gotten over this after your last attempt in discrediting me,which led to you making a fool out of yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X