No announcement yet.

Foreman's Fighting Style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
    he had a really really quick jab probably one of the best in boxing history.
    i love coming into contact with others who recognize foreman as the pinnacle of all boxers.most disrespect him and simply dont understand the absolute force this man had behind that left jab..

Comment

Thanks Slipx and it is good to come into contact with others who know their boxing.Foreman was never a slow lumbering guy who just threw wild punches looking for the knock out.He came at you setting up his punches with his jabs like most good boxers do.The only difference is Foreman was one of the hardest punchers in boxing history.Foreman was quick on his feet (Just as Ali why he didn't try to out box Foreman) He had pretty quick hands (Just look at his record in his prime 45 wins 42 ko's if he was so slow at hand it would be easy to avoid his punches)
      You know all fighters lose if they fight good opponents.But Foremans first lost came to a hall of Famer yet he can never live that down.Louis in his prime to Max Shmeling but nobody thinks Max was a better fighter than he is.Tyson was crushed by Douglas but nobody holds that against Tyson.Tyson just gets excuses about him not training hard.Foreman never really trained hard for any fight.Lewis isnt put down because he was knocked out 2 times in his career by one punch to average fighters so why is Foreman's career based on just the Ali or the Young fight?
      You will say if you can box you can out box Foreman but neither Ali or Young out boxed Foreman.Ali layed on the ropes and got lucky and Foreman toyed with Young until he was dead tired.(I was reading something by Foreman a few days ago and he said Don King told him to try to make the fight last longer because most of his fights only lasted a few rounds)You will say if you can get Foreman past 5 rounds you could beat him.Foreman was only tired 2 times in his career.Lewis got tired more than 2 times Ali got tired more than 2 times but nobody questions their stamina so why question Foremans?All fighters have flaws.There are no perfect fighters.ALi and Foreman kept their hands low.Ali wasnt much of a puncher.Foreman never got proper leverage on his punches.Louis had a glass chin and didnt fight many top level 220 plus pound heavyweights.Marciano wasnt a real heavyweight to began with so his punches wouldnt be able to hurt a big heavyweight and he couldnt take their punch.Lewis had a glass chin and never fought top level guys besides a washed up Holyfield and Tyson.Tyson was ko'd 5 times so that says a little about his chin and Tyson never beat a top level guy either.Holmes couldnt punch and never fought top level guys.Bowe had great heart but i question his chin.Holyfield almost knocked out Bowe in their 3rd fight with one punch but yet a prime Holyfield could never knock a old 42 year old Foreman down.Vitali Klitchko is slow and up until now he never beat a top level guy in their prime.Dempsey ducked all black fighters and his chin wasnt the best.(He was ko'd in one round by Fireman Jim Flynn)Jack Johnson fought small guys usually.Nothing special about a 200 pound man beating up a 160 pound man.And boxing was alot different back then.They threw one punch at a time and then held.How can you say Johnson had a great deffense when fighters fought this way?Johnson also had a glass chin.(He was knocked out a few times before he became champ one time by a guy who only weighed about 160 or so)Johnson like Marciano and Dempsey were to small to be a real threat fighting true heavyweights.
      But neither of these guys get disrespected like Foreman does.I ask myself why all the time.Why would you respect a rapist like Tyson but put down Foreman?Foreman grew up poor and was a criminal when he was young as well but he turned his life around.Even when he was a young boxer he never acted like Tyson
      He never bashed the people he boxed against.He never made threats about eating somebody kids like Tyson does.
      Tyson is done at 38 he cant even beat bums like Mcbride or Williams yet Foreman could fight until he was 48 against a higher class of opponents than Tyson fought and non including Holyfield who knocked out Tyson could put Foreman down.
      Could you answer any of the questions i asked please.Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
        yet a prime Holyfield could never knock a old 42 year old Foreman down.
        That fight was brutal, too. I remember Evander landed this 5 punch power hook combo right on George's head, his head looked like a speedbag or something. Guy wasn't even dazed, it's amazing how he isn't really punchy at all and is actually fairly articulate, heh.

Comment

I think I can answer your question on why Tyson is a much lesser fighter, yet has more respect than Foreman.

I think most of the disrespect towards George is because some people think he's a 'phony' in the sense that he used to be such a brash talking tough guy, but now, he could easily pass for one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet in your lifetime. Some people think it's all a show, and it could be, you know. Excellent salesman can easily appear to be something they are not, such as a friend, or basically anything else if they put their mind to it; and we all know, Foreman is a great salesman.

Boxing thrives in the ghetto. Any boxer originating from a ghetto is going to be a huge fan of Mike Tyson, especially a young black male just learning how to punch. Most people believe that staying true to yourself is a number one priority, once you fail to do this, you lose respect from everyone. It's no different in the ghetto, actually I think it's over emphasized in ghettos to stay true to yourself. And, Tyson has to be one of those guys who has seriously stayed true to himself. He felt no need to reinvent himself, like Foreman did. At 18 he was a disrespectful dirty fighter, and at 30 he was a disrespectful dirty fighter. He even has his own clothing line with shirts titled 'B Real.', so you know Tyson makes staying true to himself a number one priority, and I think that's why he has so much of a fan base.

but george is clearly the legend here, and tyson the couldvebeen.we wont see mike come back at age 40+ and take out a 25 year old heavyweight champion, believe dat.

Comment

foreman had brutal power and a good chin and other good qualitys, but he was always going to have trouble with the great ''boxers'' as all punchers have, as a pure psysical specimen he's probably up there at the top, but as an overall boxer he's still down in the list behind the likes of ali and holmes IMO.

Comment

that's why robinson is so respected.

he could box, and he could punch.

jesus shrink that sig pic man lol

edit-nice , u got it signed by holmes...hope thats framed and put up somewhere safe
              Last edited by Slipx; 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slipx

jesus shrink that sig pic man lol
                yeah it's kinda big lol

Comment

Originally posted by The_One77
                  foreman pratically had no boxing skill and that's why he lost against ali. all he did was try to overpower him by widly swinging punches without hardly any accuracy, all being very wide. His style was open to all punches from ali and that's why he got hit so often.
                  Ali labelled him the mummy.

Foreman, no boxing skills? You're making me laugh there.

Comment

I said it once and say it again. The guy won a god damn ****ing "Gold Medal " in the Olympics Games.

This was during during the prime of the cold war era with USSR developing great amateur boxers. Look at winners in boxing during the 60's -70's International competition and you see the Eastern bloc got a lot of medals.

Big george's skill vastly underrated because of his power. If you got it, then you should use it. Why does Foreman have to be an expert in boxing skills like Ali or Holmes when you got two Huge bazzoka's in the left and right hand.

In the end, Foreman's legacy is hurt by being a villian for a hero to shine. Ali was the hero and Foreman was the villian and so was Frazier.
                    I think in most poeple's eye's they will always play the villian role vs. the triumph underdog hero in Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreat1
                      Bryd does it sometimes,
                      Byrd also punches with his hands open, we call that "slapping" and if it were not for that he'd actually be a respected heavyweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X