Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've Been Watching John Ruiz.. Do I Need Help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've Been Watching John Ruiz.. Do I Need Help?

Well, only the 2nd Holyfield fight lol

I'm one of the worst petty offenders, when it comes criticising him.. I also take the piss occasionally, calling him Johnny Louise..
    But after studying this fight, I realize that, although it appeals to my humor, I may have dissed him somewhat..

I know he's been in some stinkers, and I know Holyfields old but John's as game as *** in this one.. The 11th and 12th rounds are a sight for sore eyes, I can tell you.. After a fairly lively (by Ruiz's standards) and even contest, Johnny cops a low one, and spends 3 minutes recovering (he's allowed 5)..

When the action re-strarts, Ruiz, with both eyes swollen to the point of closure, goes after Holy like a man posessed, even returning one below the belt, in the process.. Then, just as you think it's gonna become a repeat of Bowe Golota, Ruiz ****s him with a right to the temple..

Evander's in absolute chaos and has difficulty beating the count.. He looks like a frightened Rabbit in the glare of a full beam, and a tired Ruiz tees off on him at will for the remainder of the fight to take a well earned UD..
    How Evander stayed on his feet in for those 4 or so minutes is beyond me!

Thoughts and opinions please...

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

I'm one of the worst petty offenders, when it comes criticising him.. I also take the piss occasionally, calling him Johnny Louise..
    But after studying this fight, I realize that, although it appeals to my humor, I may have dissed him somewhat..

I know he's been in some stinkers, and I know Holyfields old but John's as game as *** in this one.. The 11th and 12th rounds are a sight for sore eyes, I can tell you.. After a fairly lively (by Ruiz's standards) and even contest, Johnny cops a low one, and spends 3 minutes recovering (he's allowed 5)..

When the action re-strarts, Ruiz, with both eyes swollen to the point of closure, goes after Holy like a man posessed, even returning one below the belt, in the process.. Then, just as you think it's gonna become a repeat of Bowe Golota, Ruiz ****s him with a right to the temple..

Evander's in absolute chaos and has difficulty beating the count.. He looks like a frightened Rabbit in the glare of a full beam, and a tired Ruiz tees off on him at will for the remainder of the fight to take a well earned UD..

Yeah Ruiz does cop a bit of un necessary criticism. Boring or not, he was a factor in the division for years and a champ....I think the recent mandatory merry go round he's involved in with the WBA has increased dislike for him, as he's clogging up the division in a way.

He's Evander.

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal '86 View Post
      Yeah Ruiz does cop a bit of un necessary criticism. Boring or not, he was a factor in the division for years and a champ....I think the recent mandatory merry go round he's involved in with the WBA has increased dislike for him, as he's clogging up the division in a way.

He's Evander.

While I can't say Im a fan of Ruiz's style I can in good conscience say Im an advocate of the man. He's a better fighter than given credit for and has a pretty solid resume. I'll take a hard nosed pug like Ruiz over some flash in the pan hype job any day. For a guy with limited skills he always came to fight and fought and beat some good fighters.

Comment

i have always had respect for John Ruiz and knew that he was a tough-cookie since as far back as 1994 when i seen him live` knock 7 bells out of Julius Francis in Bristol, his "Grappling-Hook" style is awkward and not exciting but it is very difficult for his opponent to overcome and use their own style to their advantage.. Yes Ruiz floored Holyfield something Lewis never came near to doing, Ruiz also gave a 12rds `beatdown` to Hasim Rahman and its now clear that both James Toney & Roy Jones used Steroids to beat Ruiz.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          i have always had respect for John Ruiz and knew that he was a tough-cookie since as far back as 1994 when i seen him live` knock 7 bells out of Julius Francis in Bristol, his "Grappling-Hook" style is awkward and not exciting but it is very difficult for his opponent to overcome and use their own style to their advantage.. Yes Ruiz floored Holyfield something Lewis never came near to doing, Ruiz also gave a 12rds `beatdown` to Hasim Rahman and its now clear that both James Toney & Roy Jones used Steroids to beat Ruiz.
          Good post!... I agree with all of it..

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            Lewis even ducked him. He said it was for money or rather the lack of big green that the Ruiz fight offered. But I think there was something else to it. He knew it was gonna be a rough and tough fight for him physically.

Yet the post '03 Ruiz was really crap. Toney dominated him easily. And that was an overweight, blown up super middleweight at 37!

Comment

I feel bad for the guy to be honest,not the most exciting but he deserves more credit than he gets.He probably should have spent less time in court tho.

Comment

Working...
              X