No announcement yet.

Do The Evolution...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    I've said it many times.....and gotten crucified for it. I guess it rather offends the worldview of some people who's ideology is predicated on THEIR generation being better in and of themselves and more highly evolved than all those generations past. They can't accept any idea that they themselves are not superior but rather the benificiaries of outside things such as technology and healty conditions in which to develope.

Poet
    Well it does sound weird in a way it takes 1000's of years to evolve but like I said I'm sure my grandson must have half a foot on my grandfather and I would say that he is the norm rather than the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by VibesMan View Post
      In most sports the athletes of today deliver significantly increased measures than that of their 60/70/80s counterparts.

Think Usain Bolt and what he'd do to Carl Lewis over 100m.

Compare the speed of serve of, say, Rod**** to Bjorg and so and so on.

We know just how great SRR, Homicide Hank, Ali et al were but my question is this.

If we assume athletes today are stronger, faster and better prepared than their predeccessors how much does that make up for raw talent?

People react like you've just shat in their coffee should you suggest a modern day middle takes down Hagler but could it be that Evolution gives a moderatley talented fighter an advantage over a great from yesteryear?

some of it's true some of it isn't

I can't say the Hw's have improved because this generation actually lost to last generation.

there are some great new fighters though that can ****/beat some great older fighters as well.

I haven't really seen any advancement from the 70's and on. We have seen some new styles emerge but that's about it.

I think the sad thing is boxing's best athletes have always come from poverty, or have had reasons to drive themselves. The USA simply isn't as poor as it once was so the only good fighters are coming from other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        Well it does sound weird in a way it takes 1000's of years to evolve but like I said I'm sure my grandson must have half a foot on my grandfather and I would say that he is the norm rather than the exception.
        I have 3" on my Dad and he has 2" on his dad. It ain't evolution that's for sure.....it's more like 10s of thousands of years or more. Not to mention the example I use of how it's only in the developed world where people are getting larger: In the 3rd world people are pretty much the same size that they've been for hundreds of years.

Poet

Comment

Working...
        X