Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fight collector friend sent me Laurent Boudouani-Guillermo Jones(1998) I & II from when Jones was a light middleweight. Jones was a stringbean but I still feel he won both bouts!

Comment

• Originally posted by tyger View Post
      A fight collector friend sent me Laurent Boudouani-Guillermo Jones(1998) I & II from when Jones was a light middleweight. Jones was a stringbean but I still feel he won both bouts!
      2 of the worst decisions of the last 15 years

Comment

• Glen Johnson - Silvio Branco....

ROBBERY!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
          Saw Davey Moore's brutal 5th round ko of Charlie Weir. This was an absolute mismatch, as Moore beat the hell out of the South African from the opening bell. By the 5th round, Weir's forehead was so swollen, he was beginning to resemble Frankenstein. Finally, in the 5th, Moore put Weir to sleep with a spectacular right hand. A total mismatch, and Weir was so undeserving of a title fight. It was Moore's first successful defense of his WBA 154 pound crown.
          But at the time I considered Weir a dangerous fighter. I hadn't seen him back then, but was reading in the old ring about his wins and he put a few impressive wins together. Probably more threating because Moore's inexperiance but alot of those guys, Tadashi Mihara, Kalule and Weir were not underdogs against the young Moore due to just the fact Moore was green.

Comment

• Originally posted by TBear View Post
            But at the time I considered Weir a dangerous fighter. I hadn't seen him back then, but was reading in the old ring about his wins and he put a few impressive wins together. Probably more threating because Moore's inexperiance but alot of those guys, Tadashi Mihara, Kalule and Weir were not underdogs against the young Moore due to just the fact Moore was green.
            One thing Moore had over all three fighters was tremendous natural ability. Those three had more experience, but was not on Davey's level when it came to pure abililty. Also. Moore had a spectacular amateur career, with 4 NYC Golden Gloves and losing in the finals of the Olympic Trials to Donald Curry

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
              One thing Moore had over all three fighters was tremendous natural ability. Those three had more experience, but was not on Davey's level when it came to pure abililty. Also. Moore had a spectacular amateur career, with 4 NYC Golden Gloves and losing in the finals of the Olympic Trials to Donald Curry
              He did have have that amateur background, but with many amateur stars it wasn't enough after 20 fights much less 8. Moore still suprised me with the way he became champion in his 8th pro fight and defended the title. By the time Duran challenged him he was a favorite to win in spite of his limited pro experiance.

On a side note imagine the possible fighter he could have been if they brought him along slower, Say he had 20 fights instead of 8 when he won a title. I believe he was rushed and though he appeared ready for an aged Duran, he was not ready,

Comment

• Originally posted by TBear View Post
                He did have have that amateur background, but with many amateur stars it wasn't enough after 20 fights much less 8. Moore still suprised me with the way he became champion in his 8th pro fight and defended the title. By the time Duran challenged him he was a favorite to win in spite of his limited pro experiance.

On a side note imagine the possible fighter he could have been if they brought him along slower, Say he had 20 fights instead of 8 when he won a title. I believe he was rushed and though he appeared ready for an aged Duran, he was not ready,
                Excellent point. His original opponent was supposed to be Tony Ayala, who would of given Moore an even worse beating. Moore was a product of the time, as many fighters back then were rushed early in their career. What was really tragic was the way he died at such an early age.

Comment

• loads of spare time at the weekend so managed to fit in

alan rudkin vs harada
                  alan rudkin vs ronnie jones
                  alan rudkin vs mcgowan II
                  alan rudkin vs bobby brown
                  clyde gray vs bunny grant
                  myung woo yuh vs taiho
                  sung kil moon vs nana yaw konadu II
                  willie toweel vs len matthews
                  hector camacho vs bazooka limon
                  andy ganigan vs sean o'grady
                  gene smith vs corky gonzalez
                  glenn flannagan vs charley riley IIII
                  jose stable vs stanley hayward
                  ken norton vs jerry quarry
                  ken norton vs pedro lovell
                  ken norton vs ron stander
                  ken norton vs larry middleton

Comment

• I rewatched Chuvalo-Quarry again. Did Quarry miss the count or was he dis-oriented by the punch that knocked him down. He got up quickly and resumed a knee to clear his head. He stayed there til the referee reached ten.

I seen a similar bout much later Between a young Rafael Ruelas and Mauro Gutierrez. Ruelas went down from a punch and stayed down for the count on one knee. This bout was different from the above bout in that Ruelas was looking at Goosen in the corner as Goosen signaled for him to stay down for a few seconds and signaled for Ruelas to get up around the count of eight. Ruelas appeared alright but by the time he rose the referee already reached ten. Ruelas later outpointed Mauro Gutierrez in a rematch but of course the ko loss stayed on his record.

Comment

• yoko gushiken vs pedro flores II

Comment

Working...
                      X