Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched Yuri Arbacachov's signature performance in his 8th round KO of Muangchai Kittikasem this morning, this was one of the more entertaining
    one sided fights I've seen, Kittikasem put up a gutsy performance and his big punch stopped Arbacachov momentarily and producing a knockown but he was no match for the very technical and exact Arbacachov who hurt and put down Kittikasem multiple times throughout the fight before finally ending it.

Comment

• Froch - Kessler

Really enjoyed this one, last few rounds were brilliant!

Comment

• Yep, thread stickied.

Froch - Kessler was me last live fight.

Earlier today I watched Hagler - Leonard and scored it for Leonard this time.

Comment

• Kessler
          Not much in this round, really. Kessler lands more jabs than Froch, and delivers some rights to the body. Froch tried to establish his jab, but Kessler was more successful. Though, Froch landed a few right hands, which made it close.

Kessler
          Both men threw mainly jabs in this round again. Kessler landed his more often and landed more significant power punches, mainly to the body. He landed a few nice straight rights to the body early on. Kessler is also moving his head a bit.

Froch
          The round was fairly close early on, with both having success with the jab, though Kessler was edging it with his hard body punching. However, over the second half of the round, Froch landed the right a few times and a few left hooks. That was good enough to take the round, IMO.

Froch
          Kessler was more active than Froch in this round, sticking with his jab. However, Froch managed to landed a nice right hand and uppercut on the inside, those punches combined with his body punches and jabs took the round for me.

Froch
          Clear round to Froch. Scored with the cleaner, harder blows, including a long right hand that landed flush on Kessler’s chin late on.

Kessler
          Kessler started to landed some more power shots and combos in this round. He mainly stalked Froch as he’s done all fight, trying to set up everything with his jab and continued to work the body. Froch got some power shots in, but a lot of his hooks were, wide slapping punches with little on them.

Kessler
          Froch didn’t do much at all this round except look fatigued and force out weak jabs with nothing on them. Kessler pressed him behind the jab and landed the occasional right hand.

Kessler
          Clear round for Kessler. He landed a clean counter right early on and would land another later on that made Froch’s legs wobble a bit. Kessler pressed him hard after that punch and had Froch covering up on the ropes. Froch appears lethargic, he’s not throwing a lot. I would say the fact he’s off balance, lunging in, and squaring up indications of this, but Froch does those regardless.

Kessler
          Froch started well, working the jab, and landed a nice uppercut. However, his activity waned and it allowed Kessler to get back into the round score with his own punches. Kessler landed a counter right towards the end, but it wasn’t as clean as the big one in round eight. Froch then tried to steal the round, but a lot of his shots were wide shots with not much on them. I gave it to Kessler on his consistency in the round, but I feel this could go the other way.

Froch
          Froch just nicked this one IMO. Kessler had a good first half, that started with a stiff half hook-half jab. He would apply constant pressure throughout the round and let his hands go, but the Froch’s work over the last half bested Kessler’s over the first half. Froch’s shots were harder and cleaner.

Kessler
          Kessler started well by being very active and pressing Froch. Froch got back into the round by landing a hard right hand and an uppercut. He’d up his activity as the round progessed, but Kessler was also able to land, including a looping right hand. I gave this round to Kessler as I felt he was consistent throughout the round with is pressure, output, and landed punches. Whereas Froch came alive over the second half and didn’t do enough to nick it.

Kessler
          Much, like the last round Kessler takes this on his consistent. The first minute or so, not much was landed but Kessler was throwing more. Over the second third he became more active, landing power shots. Froch came alive down the final stretch and got himself back into the round. However, they started exchanging with both men landing but Kessler closed the round better.

As you know DK, this fight has been overrated in my eyes. The fight was marred by poor technique, skills, and wasn't fought at a high tempo.

Froch looked poor, IMO, nearly as bad as the Dirrell fight. Nearly every time he throws a combination or leads with a right he squares himself up. He was lunging in, off balance, and throwing a lot of wide, slapping hooks. Kessler could have taken advantage of this if he would've stood his ground or taken a half step back and delivered a counter right which Froch was so open for. One of the few times he did throw it, Froch's leg went a bit wobbly. Froch also has a bad habit of pulling his right back when he jabs. Also, Froch mainly throws combinations when coming forward. He can't really do it when backing up, he just jabs really. Had he taken the initiative and backed up Kessler from the start, he could've won in a convincing matter.

Kessler won the fight IMO on his activity and pressure. It was pretty consistent in each round. He wasn't very sharp with his crosses and didn't throw enough counter right hands. He did pay the price for backing up in straight lines a few times, but it's clear from in between rounds that Montoya is trying to fix that. I will say though, he did add some subtle head movement and isn't as stiff. He went to the body surprisingly well. Froch seemed a bit tired from six on and Kessler's body work had a lot to do with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
            I agree with you. Just another example of Gus Johnson overhyping a fight with his exaggerated announcing.
            Poor Gus.

But to be truthful Silva, I was able to acquire the British version of the fight, and they were going nuts during the fight. Especially during 10-12, when Duke McKenzie was going ballistic.

Both broadcasting teams overrated the fight. Sure it had it's moments, but it lacked the quality that truly great fights have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
              Wow cheers JAB.

Kessler vs Froch

Round 1 Froch( extremely close)

Not much in this round, Kessler landed some rights to
              the body and scored with the jab a little, Froch however
              scored with a left hook, cuffing right hand and was
              a little more active, although this could easily be called even.

Round 2 Kessler
              Not much in this round either, Kessler was touching
              Froch upstairs and downstairs whilst Froch was a little inactive
              and waiting, although he did seem to score at the end a little
              , both rounds 1 & 2 were pick em rounds so i split the difference
              and give them one each, as i do feel Froch may just! of edged
              round 1 on the harder punches

Round 3 Froch

Froch started well with the jab but let Kessler come on mid
              round as Kessler was able to touch him to the body, although
              toward the end Froch put that left hook right hand together
              and came alive down the stretch to score with the more solid
              punches to punctuate the round imo

Round 4 Froch
              Not much in the round early but mid round Froch landed
              a solid right hand and then a lead uppercut that landed clean
              , he also scored the jab toward the end, Kessler came back a little
              but a Froch round for me.

Round 5 Froch
              Clearest round of the fight to score, Froch landed a serious
              of solid punches on Kessler, Froch landed those long reaching looping
              shots

Round 6 Kessler (very close)

This was hard to score because Kessler was more aggressive
              and consistent but also got caught by some solid shots himself,
              he started the round landing the jab and he scored a good
              combo to the stomach then landed a nice left hook on Froch
              , but toward the end he was getting caught with a few solid shots
              from Froch whilst applying that pressure, although he did trap
              Froch on the ropes and scored another body attack, could of
              gone either way but i like Kessler's consistency & aggression, oh
              Kessler landed a nice right hand on Froch this round to.

Round 7 Kessler
              Much better round for Kessler as he seemed to zero on better
              with his accuracy, he was more active and scored a combo early
              where he went downstairs and brought a right hand over the
              top, he also landed a short inside left hook after that, Kessler
              caught Froch again toward the end as he closed out the round
              better and nailed Carl when he left himself off balance

Round 8 Kessler
              Not much in the round early, although Kessler did land a nice
              counter right hand but Froch seemed to score with the jab throughout
              the middle portion of the round, however Kessler nailed him
              with another counter right hand that hurt him, Kessler then
              pinned him against the ropes and put his punches together

Round 9 Froch

Better round for Froch as he landed the jab and scored
              with an uppercut early, toward the end he was nailing Kessler
              with his wild **** that comes out out of left field

Round 10 Froch

Both answered each others attacked this round but Froch
              managed to edge infront by landing the more solid
              cleaner punches, he also got the best of Kessler in the exchanges imo.

Round 11 Kessler (tough round to score)

Kessler started well letting his hands go in combination
              as he went downstairs with the combo then brought it back
              up top, he was also consistent the whole round imo, Froch
              nailed him mid round but he also nailed Froch with the biggest
              punch of the round, a right hand, Froch came back toward the
              end but i liked Kessler's consistency over the round, he sustained
              his attack more imo.

Round 12 Kessler (very hard to score)
              This round could of gone either way but i think what tipped
              it was that Kessler landed more solid punches on Froch that
              were also harder punches imo, he also closed the round out
              right toward the end, Froch closed it out to but what was more
              pivotal for me was that Kessler closed it out with like 10 seconds
              to go, Froch did his best work 20 seconds before that.

I had it a draw but given the fact i made a note beside each of
              the 3 rounds Kessler won on my card that each of those rounds were extremely
              hard to score and could of gone either way and i only gave Froch the benefit of the
              doubt in one round (round 1), then i guess you could say i was a little
              bit kinder to Kessler and that, that should be a sign that Froch might have
              slightly edged it, it was a very close fight to score though so maybe a draw was
              a fair reflection.

I felt Kessler could of had more success if had he put more sustained pressure
              on Froch, Froch is a guy that cant fight aswell going backward but he can cope to
              a degree, particularly when you are not applying consistent sustained pressure, Kessler
              was closing distance methodically imo, only in a few rounds did he really fight the kinda
              fight im talking about and keep the pressure on Froch, he won those rounds clearer to
              , now the reason i feel it would of benefited Kessler more to put more sustained
              pressure on Froch is because Froch gets wide when pressure and does not have good
              technique, he wings punches when pressure is put on him and leaves his chin out, that is why keeping the pressure on him would of worked wonders imo. Also i think maybe Froch's
              workrate was so poor BECAUSE! he was backed up, he knew if he let hands go Boxing
              off the backfoot that he would leave himself more exposed because he does not trust his
              technique, therefore he played it safe and tried to pick his spots more although it worked
              against him as he was too inactive a lot of the time.

Froch for his part should of been trying to back Kessler up and take advantage of him backing
              up straight and followed him with those long looping shots, Kessler did a better job
              of not going back straight but he still did it occasionally and paid for it when Froch
              threw his wild long loopey punches.

Angulo
              Joel Julio
              Joel Julio
              Joel Julio
              Joel Julio (Angulo came on toward the end)
              Angulo (close but Angulo was more consistent for me)
              Joel Julio
              Angulo (harder shots, although closish)
              Angulo
              Joel Julio

Angulo went back to walking in the front
              door on Joel Julio he then timed a right hand over
              the top of Julio's jab that dropped him, Julio
              got up but ref waved it off.

Angulo still troubled be lateral movement, he was
              reset by the movement and hit with quick fire combo's
              from Julio, although toward the end his desperation turned
              into more sustained pressure, great shot that finished it.
              Watched 2 fights from the 80's last night. First was the shocking last round ko of Frank Bruno by Bonecrusher Smith. Bruno had totally dominated the first 9 rounds, keeping Smith at bay with his jab and rocking him several times with his vaunted right hand. In the final round, Smith began throwing haymakers in desperation. Finally, he staggered Bruno and Bruno was held up against the ropes until finally Smith's barrage violently put Bruno away.

The second fight I saw was the 1987 jr welter battle between Hector Camacho and Howard Davis. Camacho easily handled Davis as he darted in and out the entire fight, landing his left cross at will. Davis was definitely past his prime, as he could not deal with both Hector's foot and hand speed. I gave Camacho 8 of the 10 rounds. For same strange reason, Davis a year later got a title shot against Buddy Mcgirt and Camacho instead went on to fight Ray Mancini in one of the worst fights in the history of boxing.

Comment

Watched 2 fights from the 80's last night. First was the shocking last round ko of Frank Bruno by Bonecrusher Smith. Bruno had totally dominated the first 9 rounds, keeping Smith at bay with his jab and rocking him several times with his vaunted right hand. In the final round, Smith began throwing haymakers in desperation. Finally, he staggered Bruno and Bruno was held up against the ropes until finally Smith's barrage violently put Bruno away.

The second fight I saw was the 1987 jr welter battle between Hector Camacho and Howard Davis. Camacho easily handled Davis as he darted in and out the entire fight, landing his left cross at will. Davis was definitely past his prime, as he could not deal with both Hector's foot and hand speed. I gave Camacho 8 of the 10 rounds. For same strange reason, Davis a year later got a title shot against Buddy Mcgirt and Camacho instead went on to fight Ray Mancini in one of the worst fights in the history of boxing.
                I haven't seen the Camacho-Mancini fight since it happened that night in 1989 (?), but at the time I felt Mancini got screwed out of a close decision and fought an excellent fight after being off so so long. Thoughts?

Comment

Round 1 Camacho
                  More active, scored to the body and scored a few straight lefts to the
                  head, Davis looks confused with the left handed stance, he was inactive for
                  the most part, Camacho also scored with the jab.

Round 2 Camacho
                  Davis is letting Camacho get off first, Camacho is going to Davis's body well. Davis
                  started to workout the Southpaw stance later in the round by applying more
                  pressure but he still did too much waiting and got hit with the better punches

Round 3 Camacho
                  Consistent with jab, went to the body and scored two good straight left
                  hands, Davis is waiting too much and not applying pressure like you
                  must against a lefty, he is allowing Camacho to get off first

Round 4 Davis (sympathy round which i originally scored for
                  Camacho)
                  Not much happened but i gave it to Camacho on a couple of clean jabs
                  and left hand towards the end. Davis could of taken this because not
                  much happened.

Round 5 Camacho (little closer)
                  More pressure by Davis but he was not that successful landing! Camacho
                  went to the body hard and scored counter jabs and one straight left hand

Round 6 Camacho ( little closer)
                  Far too much waiting by Davis, Camacho had a quiet round but still scored
                  to the body, Davis tried to steal it late.

Round 7 Davis (sympathy)
                  Lots of pressure and pushing Camacho back

Round 8 Camacho
                  He controlled the round and scored to the body, he also scored the jab and straight lefts

Round 9 Camacho
                  He hammered Davis to the body, Davis started okay but let Camacho take
                  over

Round 10 Camacho
                  I thought he landed better to the body and Davis let him get off as per usual

I would not have given Davis any rounds but i was feeling generous as it was so one sided, Davis clearly
                  struggled with the Southpaw stance and its lesson that he should of learned imo. You have to apply pressure
                  when you Box Southpaw's, he let Camacho get off way too much and tried to Box a Southpaw, which is
                  the worst thing you can do because they are use to fighting your style. Camacho showed
                  good ring generalship and scored hard to the body all night long.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    I haven't seen the Camacho-Mancini fight since it happened that night in 1989 (?), but at the time I felt Mancini got screwed out of a close decision and fought an excellent fight after being off so so long. Thoughts?
                    One of the worst decisions I ever saw. Camacho ran, I mean literally ran for 12 rounds and didn't land a significant punch, just pathetic jabs. I gave mancini 8 rounds because, despite being out 4 years, was clearly the aggressor and was forced to chase the road runner for 12 rounds. Every time he cornered Camacho, Hector held him. A pathetic showing by the not so macho man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                      Round 1 Camacho
                      More active, scored to the body and scored a few straight lefts to the
                      head, Davis looks confused with the left handed stance, he was inactive for
                      the most part, Camacho also scored with the jab.

Round 2 Camacho
                      Davis is letting Camacho get off first, Camacho is going to Davis's body well. Davis
                      started to workout the Southpaw stance later in the round by applying more
                      pressure but he still did too much waiting and got hit with the better punches

Round 3 Camacho
                      Consistent with jab, went to the body and scored two good straight left
                      hands, Davis is waiting too much and not applying pressure like you
                      must against a lefty, he is allowing Camacho to get off first

Round 4 Davis (sympathy round which i originally scored for
                      Camacho)
                      Not much happened but i gave it to Camacho on a couple of clean jabs
                      and left hand towards the end. Davis could of taken this because not
                      much happened.

Round 5 Camacho (little closer)
                      More pressure by Davis but he was not that successful landing! Camacho
                      went to the body hard and scored counter jabs and one straight left hand

Round 6 Camacho ( little closer)
                      Far too much waiting by Davis, Camacho had a quiet round but still scored
                      to the body, Davis tried to steal it late.

Round 7 Davis (sympathy)
                      Lots of pressure and pushing Camacho back

Round 8 Camacho
                      He controlled the round and scored to the body, he also scored the jab and straight lefts

Round 9 Camacho
                      He hammered Davis to the body, Davis started okay but let Camacho take
                      over

Round 10 Camacho
                      I thought he landed better to the body and Davis let him get off as per usual

I would not have given Davis any rounds but i was feeling generous as it was so one sided, Davis clearly
                      struggled with the Southpaw stance and its lesson that he should of learned imo. You have to apply pressure
                      when you Box Southpaw's, he let Camacho get off way too much and tried to Box a Southpaw, which is
                      the worst thing you can do because they are use to fighting your style. Camacho showed
                      good ring generalship and scored hard to the body all night long.
                      I gave Davis the 5th and last round, but your analysis was right on. Davis failed horribly against the best southpaws he faced(Camacho and Jim Watt). This fight could have easily been a shutout

Comment

Working...
                      X