This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
    Cheers Shadows, im gonna have to watch this now Lol.

Mora vs Povetkin

Round 1 Povetkin 10/8

Not much happened early but Povetkin managed to drop
    Mora with a leaping left hook, Povetkin showed good
    poise and threw accurate shots when he had Mora pinned on
    the ropes instead of getting wild.

Round 2 Povetkin 10/8

Povetkin dropped Mora again in this round

Round 3 Povetkin

Povetkin more active this round and countered better in
    this round to, showed good headmovement to avoid punches
    when inside letting his hands go

Round 4 Mora

Mora was more active this round and managed to get through
    Povetkin's defence when he laid inside, Povetkin had a decent
    finish but not enough to take the round imo

Round 5 Povetkin came out landed the leaping left early and
    followed up dropping Mora with a combination as the ref
    waved it off when he hit the canvas.

As i noted in Povetkin's last fight against Nolan you can see the subtle changes
    Teddy Atlas has made, whether it be effective against better opponents is still to be
    tested, Povetkin is moving his head more, fighting more patiently, showing good speed and
    putting his punches together nicely, but as i said you have to factor in who he is
    doing it against, lets see if he can be effective that way against a quality opponent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marco Huck vs Richards.

Round 1 Richards (kind)

Richards was more active, dictated the pace and went to the
    body whilst Huck was largely inactive.

Round 2 Huck

Huck came alive this round as he landed a serious of right hands
    as he let them go with wreckless abandon.

Round 3 Richards tried to pressure Huck but caught a serious
    of right hand counters for his trouble, one of the right hands
    earlier in the round seem to catch him on top of the head, that had him down,
    however
    he managed to get up and fight on but he went back into
    the danger zone and got nailed again with a number of right
    hands, he was eventually put down again and the ref stopped the fight, well
    fell on top of him Lol.

Huck never changes, wild wreckless, poor technique, fights in spots and almost
    never fails to respond when he gets caught with a hard punch.
    Watched the rematch between Michael Watson and Chris Eubank. Watson totally dominated this fight, out landing Eubank 2-1. In the 11th round, he dropped Eubank with a nice right cross. Watson, attempting to finish Eubank, walked into a perfect right uppercut right before the round ended. How Watson got up still boggles my mind, but he had to be helped to his corner. At the beginning of the 12th round, Watson still was wobbly and the ref was forced to stop the fight as Eubank was all over him. A near riot occurred after fight during Eubank's interview, and no attention was paid to by the announcers about Watson's condition. He seemed to have collapsed in his corner. I liked Watson, and was quite disappointed that this fight not only ended his career, but nearly killed him.

Comment

• Diaz-Freitas

Comment

• Pacman-Clottey

Comment

• ESPN Classic had a Tyson Marathon so I watched like 8 of his fights. Kept me up until like 4am.

Comment

• Pacquiao-Clottey

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
              Watched the rematch between Michael Watson and Chris Eubank. Watson totally dominated this fight, out landing Eubank 2-1. In the 11th round, he dropped Eubank with a nice right cross. Watson, attempting to finish Eubank, walked into a perfect right uppercut right before the round ended. How Watson got up still boggles my mind, but he had to be helped to his corner. At the beginning of the 12th round, Watson still was wobbly and the ref was forced to stop the fight as Eubank was all over him. A near riot occurred after fight during Eubank's interview, and no attention was paid to by the announcers about Watson's condition. He seemed to have collapsed in his corner. I liked Watson, and was quite disappointed that this fight not only ended his career, but nearly killed him.
              That fight was Watson's shining moment up until that fateful 11th round when he was knocked into the ropes. All the same it was one of the best and most brutal fights where excellent technique was maintained all the way through.

Comment

• Watched Pascal-Diaconu II and Escalante-Roman last night, both were excellent fights though I didn't find the second installment of Pascal-Diaconu as good as the first. After watching that fight I really think that Diaconu would be a much better fighter if he could learn how to shorten up his punches and use angles when pressuring, he might of been able to beat Pascal had he been able to do that. Pascal in that fight looked a little bit better defensively though he still relied heavily on his reflexes he employed the shoulder roll every once in a while.

Escalante-Roman was just a war, and after seeing Clottey's non-effort on Saturday it's really nice to see two guys who'll put on a great fight for peanuts compared to what Clottey made that night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                  Cheers Shadows, im gonna have to watch this now Lol.

Mora vs Povetkin

Round 1 Povetkin 10/8

Not much happened early but Povetkin managed to drop
                  Mora with a leaping left hook, Povetkin showed good
                  poise and threw accurate shots when he had Mora pinned on
                  the ropes instead of getting wild.

Round 2 Povetkin 10/8

Povetkin dropped Mora again in this round

Round 3 Povetkin

Povetkin more active this round and countered better in
                  this round to, showed good headmovement to avoid punches
                  when inside letting his hands go

Round 4 Mora

Mora was more active this round and managed to get through
                  Povetkin's defence when he laid inside, Povetkin had a decent
                  finish but not enough to take the round imo

Round 5 Povetkin came out landed the leaping left early and
                  followed up dropping Mora with a combination as the ref
                  waved it off when he hit the canvas.

As i noted in Povetkin's last fight against Nolan you can see the subtle changes
                  Teddy Atlas has made, whether it be effective against better opponents is still to be
                  tested, Povetkin is moving his head more, fighting more patiently, showing good speed and
                  putting his punches together nicely, but as i said you have to factor in who he is
                  doing it against, lets see if he can be effective that way against a quality opponent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marco Huck vs Richards.

Round 1 Richards (kind)

Richards was more active, dictated the pace and went to the
                  body whilst Huck was largely inactive.

Round 2 Huck

Huck came alive this round as he landed a serious of right hands
                  as he let them go with wreckless abandon.

Round 3 Richards tried to pressure Huck but caught a serious
                  of right hand counters for his trouble, one of the right hands
                  earlier in the round seem to catch him on top of the head, that had him down,
                  however
                  he managed to get up and fight on but he went back into
                  the danger zone and got nailed again with a number of right
                  hands, he was eventually put down again and the ref stopped the fight, well
                  fell on top of him Lol.

Huck never changes, wild wreckless, poor technique, fights in spots and almost
                  never fails to respond when he gets caught with a hard punch.
                  Watched the 1982 130 pound title fight between Rolando Navarrete and Bazooka Limon. I advise everyone that they must see all of the fights in the early 90's involving Navarrete, Limon, Boza Edwards and Chacon. The wars these men had when they fought each other are as brutal as any fight in the history of boxing. This fight was no exception. Late in the 12th round, Navarrete when he walked into a spectacular combo by Limon, who went down and could not beat the count. Limon threw wide punches and had no defense whatsoever, but he fought with as much heart as anyone who ever fought. A five star classic!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Pacman-Clottey, Alexander-urango

Comment

• Been watching more of Sweet Pea Whitaker's fights from his prime. His first fight with Buddy McGirt was the most entertaining so far, very competitive tit for tat action with razor sharp boxing from both sides of the affair. Pernell started a little faster but in the middle rounds McGirt started to outbox him and increasingly land right hands to the head. On the inside Pernell was more effective and he imposed his gameplan and won a close decision in a cracking fight, I mean THAT IS REAL BOXING.

I also watched his first bout with Jose Luis Ramirez and it was not as good as their second meeting. Pernell gave ground more then he boxed, I think that he was kind of spooked by the physical strength and power of the much bigger Mexican and it threw him off his gameplan in this fight and the way he fought it didn't do him any favors with the judges. He gave ground the whole fight because while he wanted to fight on the inside which was his style at the time he couldn't tie Ramirez up when he would need to (which the announcers mention during the broadcast) because of the difference in strength. He backed up, didn't let his hands go and let the Mexican come forward all night and if you aren't watching the fight that closely it kind of looks like Ramirez would be winning. Either way Pernell should of won, not the robbery many people make it out to be and it was really Pernell's fault that he didn't get the decision because he didn't adjust well IMO. In the second fight though he cleared up the whole mess, Pernell was at his best in the second Ramirez fight and it was my favorite performance from him.

After watching these fights I get the impression again that Pernell is not as unhittable or as fast as people think he is, but he is better at other things that people don't really give him credit for, he is very good offensively and though he wasn't a big puncher he threw pretty good shots and threw with more confidence then say Floyd Mayweather (at least at 140-147) or a Hilario Zapata or most other "defensive" fighters. He is also much braver than most people give him credit for. I remember a while back I think it was Dynamite Kid who was saying that people pass judgement to quickly on Pernell based on his fights with JCC and DLH and that is really the truth. The guy wasn't just some spoiler, he was a pretty complete fighter who incorporated textbook southpaw offense with a slick, sometimes unorthodox defense which made for some fun fights.

Next on the list is:

Miguel Huerta-Kid Diamond
                      Pascal-Diaconu I
                      Dawson-Johnson I

Comment

Working...
                      X