Penalosa vs Morel

Round 1 Morel (Kind)
    Both guys did so little it was hard to split them,the
    punches they did throw seem to miss

Round 2 Penalosa

Penalosa edged this on his right hook and body work imo,he
    also closed better

Round 3 Penalosa

Morel started well nailing Penalosa on the ropes but Penalosa fought his way back
    into the round and did most of the work for the rest of the round as Morel switched
    off, Penalosa landed straight lefts to head and body

Round 4 Morel

Tough round to score as i had Penalosa just infront but Morel closed better and
    probably landed the best punches of the round so im gonna go for Morel

Round 5 Morel

Simply more active, Penalosa did very little this round.

Round 6 Penalosa
    Penalosa landed the best punch of the fight a straight left he then landed another
    no long after that down the stretch he Penaolsa scored a right hook to.

Round 7 Penalosa
    Close round that was on the table but Penalosa won it down the stretch as he got
    more aggressive

Round 8 Penalosa

This round was close but again Penalosa picked up and Morel did not stay with him
    down the stretch, Penalosa also landed hard to the body this round

Round 9 Penalosa

Penalosa aggression took over a round which was up for grabs.

Round 10 Penalosa

Penalosa more active landing the harder punches and taking this round on his
    aggression body work is grinding Morel down to imo

Round 11 Penalosa

Penalosa overwhelming Morel with his aggression and ****ing him to the body with
    hard shots

Round 12 Penalosa

There were a few rounds (7+8+9) that were close and up for
    grabs but i felt Penalosa did more down the stretch of those
    rounds to punctuate them as Penalosa rounds, Penalosa would
    show willing to close out the round and Morel would not stay
    with him and when the rounds are up for grabs you gotta close
    them out as best you can.

I reckon some might have scored this fight closer but i dont see Morel winning many
    other rounds unless you were being kind to him,Penalose definitely deserved
    the decision and was robbed as far as im concerned.

Morel fought most of the fight moving away and missing most of the punches he
    threw whilst getting hit with hard clean punches by Penalosa,particularly down the
    stretch where Penalose was dominating the fight with his aggression and being more
    active and landing the harder shots. The beginning of the fight was close but Penalosa
    closed this fight out and should of won.

-------------------------------------------------

Concepcion vs Mario Santiago

Round 1 Concepcion

Close round as Santiago dictated the pace of the round but
    was not that effective with his jabbing, Concepcion landed
    a right hand on him mid round then toward the end he closed
    the round out better by landing a series of right hands

Round 2 Concepcion

Santiago did a little better early in the round landing the jab
    but Concepcion took over with his hard right hands he also
    landed solid to the body at one point

Round 3 Santiago (kind)

Tough round to score but i think Santiago was a little more
    consistent altthough i could of scored this round for Concepcion to because
    Concepcion did land the harder shots albeit he was a little less
    active.

Round 4 Concepcion

Another tough round to score because whilst Santiago was active early
    he was not landing anything,most of what he threw was blocked, Concepcion
    did not do a lot either but landed the best punch of the round a hard counter
    right, Santiago came back toward the end and could of taken it but seeing as i gave
    him the benefit of the doubt in the last round im going with Concepcion here. I
    thought either round 3 & 4 could of swung either way.

Round 5 Santiago

Much better round for Santiago as he showed a better defence against Concepcion's
    right hands and he managed to back Concepcion which i felt was key to him having
    more success.

Round 6 Concepcion 10/8

Santiago let Concepcion back him again this round and its no coincidence that Concepcion
    had a good round and nailed him with a series of right hands one of those
    right hands dropped him

Round 7 Santiago

Santiago backed Concepcion and was more consistent and dictated the round imo

Round 8 Concepcion

Santiago dictated the pace of the round but did not do much effective landing.
    I felt Concepcion took the round on his harder punches that he come alive with mid
    round

Round 9 Concepcion

Concepcion switched off down the stretch but i still felt he landed the harder cleaner
    shots over the coarse of the round could of swung to Santiago i guess.

Round 10 Santiago

Excellent round by Santiago as he backed Concepcion
    up and the nailed him on the ropes, Santiago gave up
    the distance laid inside and tried to hammer Concepcion, Concepcion fought back
    mid round but Santiago came back toward the end to continue dominating the round

If only Santiago had tried to back Concepcion up the whole fight i reckon he would of
    won, Concepcion's counter right hand was keeping him in this fight as he was landing
    it hard,clean and often throughout the fight, that said he only seemed to have major
    success with it when he was in centre ring or backing Santiago up when Santiago
    backed him up he was not effective with it.

I do feel Concepcion did enough to win though mainly based on the fact he landed
    the harder punches, Santiago was busy and dictated the pace but a lot of his jabs
    either missed or were blocked and he was throwing punches that had very little on
    them.

---------------------------------------------------

Donaire vs Manuel Vargas

Round 1 Donaire

Donaire pushing Vargas back behind the jab and landing
    counter rights and nice solid left hand,rabbit caught in the
    headlights springs to mind for Vargas.

Round 2 Donaire
    Vargas landed a good right hand but Donaire answered that
    with an even harder right hand and controlled the rest of the
    round

Round 3 Donaire started landing the right hand against then
    he opened up with an impressive combo that dropped Vargas
    who was flat on his back and could not beat the count.

Donaire used his height & reach as he backed Vargas up behind the jab,
    Vargas was never going to get into this fight backing up, not against a guy
    that maintains distance and utilizes that reach by staying disciplined behind the jab.
    Vargas backing up was relying on counters but those counters were not there because
    Donaire did not leave him anything to counter, he worked his way in behind
    the jab and kept it long where the gap between them favoured the rangy fighter
    which was Donaire.

Donaire looks the way he always looks, fast throwing good counter punches, however
    im not sure how much his inside game has improved if at all.
    Just finished watching the classic Bruce Curry-Monroe Brooks fight. Curry knocks Brooks out with a left hook as lethal as any left hook I have ever seen a 140 pound fighter throw. One of the greatest 140 pound title fights of all time. Highly recommended

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
      Let us know what you think. Weaver engaged in many wars throughout the 80's
      I will man, I remember Weaver's second fight with Dokes and that was a ****ing war, Weaver was kind of a bigger version of Matthew Saad Muhammad it seemed to me. Guy was just fun too watch

Comment

• Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
        I will man, I remember Weaver's second fight with Dokes and that was a ****ing war, Weaver was kind of a bigger version of Matthew Saad Muhammad it seemed to me. Guy was just fun too watch
        Yes he was, great comparison. Look at the wars he was in-Holmes I, Coetzee, Dokes II, and vs Carl Williams. Each fight a classic war.

Comment

• I guess seeing the infamous Epic Beard man's 20 second TKO in the AC Bus incident has inspired me to watch some fast KO's. So i have seen RUiz vs Tua, Tyson Vs Fraizier, and Hagler vs Lee recently. They all seem to be rather long compared to the Epic Beard Man TKO in the AC Bus incident.

Comment

Yes he was, great comparison. Look at the wars he was in-Holmes I, Coetzee, Dokes II, and vs Carl Williams. Each fight a classic war.
            I haven't seen the Williams one, did Williams capture the form he did in the Holmes fight?

Comment

• Vinny Maddalone KO5 Shannon Miller

Rd.1-Maddalone (10-7)
              Rd.2-Miller (close)
              Rd.3-Maddalone (close)
              Rd.4-Miller
              Rd.5-KO!!

Excellent heavyweight brawl, Miller was an undefeated local prospect in his first televised step-up fight. In the first round Miller was dropped twice hard with very wide looping right hands ala Dennis Andries-Jeff Harding II, except even wider if that's possible. Miller slugs his way back into the fight and is doing the better work of the two and it seems the momentum has shifted until the first minute of the fifth when Miller gets caught with a BIG left hook and the ref doesn't even count. Thrilling, sloppy heavyweight slugfest with a great one punch KO at the end.

Jose Reyes KO4 Ivan Valle

Rd.1-Reyes (10-8)
              Rd.2-Valle (10-8)
              Rd.3-Valle (10-8)
              Rd.4-Reyes (KO)

Interesting fight, Reyes comes out with these leaping left hooks and catches Valle in the first round with one and puts him down. In the second Valle catches Reyes when he attempting one of those leaping hooks and knocks him down. The third round's knockdown is odd because Valle catches Reyes with an obvious low blow, the ref counts it as a knockdown and then tells Valle to keep his punches up. About fifteen seconds into the fourth round Valle is caught with a left hook and put down for good. Good fight between two capable fringe contenders.

Comment

• Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
                I haven't seen the Williams one, did Williams capture the form he did in the Holmes fight?
                Williams had Weaver out on his feet in the first round. Weaver recovered, and ko'd Williams in the 2nd

Comment

Williams had Weaver out on his feet in the first round. Weaver recovered, and ko'd Williams in the 2nd
                  Mike Weaver KO2 Carl Williams

Rd.1-Williams
                  Rd.2-Weaver (KO)

What a great short fight this was, Williams was snaking the jab through Weaver's guard and hurting him with it but Weaver hung tough and lasted through. The second was looking even worse for Weaver when he was up against the ropes and getting pounded on but then he drops the hammer out of nowhere and puts Williams down hard. After that Mike was all over Williams putting him down twice more to stop the fight. Dramatic stuff, reminiscent of Gaby Canizales' comeback KO over Happy Lora in it's brutal finish, great choice Silva, Miracle Mike shining through again.

Comment

• Carmen Basilio W15 Sugar Ray Robinson I

Rd.1-Robinson
                    Rd.2-Robinson
                    Rd.5-Basilio
                    Rd.9-Basilio
                    Rd.11-Basilio
                    Rd.12-Robinson
                    Rd.13-Robinson
                    Rd.14-Robinson (close)
                    Rd.15-Basilio

What a great fight this was, I watched an extended highlight that was in excellent film quality and it was just a give and take scrap all the way through with some real classy action. First two rounds were tame in comparison to the later rounds an they were close and from the fifth round onward it was brutal to say the least. The 11th and 12th were both give and take action rounds with Basilio battering Robinson against the ropes in the 11th and Ray rocking Basilio with left and rights in the 12th. In the 13th Basilio is having a good round and Robinson lands a corker of a left hook and almost KO's Basilio but Basilio showcases his underrated defense and weathers the storm. In the 14th Basilio was having a good round and near the end he is hurt by right hands to the body and I had to give the round to Robinson because of it but it was very close. The 15th was a good way to end the show with Basilio really getting the last word in with some good flurries.

One thing that became clearer and clearer in this fight was Basilio's ability to hit Robinson with counterpunches, Basilio was in much better shape basically because of the age difference in this fight and he was able to really explode with every punch he threw while Robinson was fighting very conservatively throughout the middle rounds so he could make a strong finish (which he did) and he seemed to explode with every third punch in his combinations but for the most part he was just pawing with the jab and Basilio was winging his right over the top and nailing Robinson all the way through. Robinson in the late rounds though captured some of the magic of his youth, he was nailing Basilio with rights and left hooks but when Basilio was hurt he was able to catch the punches on the gloves or weaved his way out of danger. Just a great fight with a little bit of everything, a real pleasure to watch an a must see for every boxing fan.

Comment

• Leonard Dorin D12 Paul Spadafora

Rd.1 Spadafora
                      Rd.2 Dorin
                      Rd.3 Dorin
                      Rd.4 Dorin
                      Rd.5 Spadafora
                      Rd.6 Spadafora
                      Rd.7 Dorin
                      Rd.8 Dorin
                      Rd.9 Spadafora
                      Rd.10 Dorin
                      Rd.11 Dorin
                      Rd.12 Dorin

Final score Dorin-8, Spadafora-4

Real classy stuff shown by both fighters but the volume of punches and the cleaner punches were landed by Dorin. In this fight at times he would let go of his usual stalking style to a more mobile aggressor and he showed very fast feet an good boxing ability when he employed this tactic. This would have been my pick for FOTY in 2003

Comment

Working...
                      X