X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arce-Hussein Hussein
    Martin Castillo-Alexander Munoz

Check these fights out if ya didnt see it cuz they are hidden gems. I think one of those fights were on the Pac-Morales undercard and it was better than the main event from what I remember.

Comment

• Sanchez vs Cowdell. Pretty good fight.

Comment

• The last three fights I've watched in the past two days were Hopkins-Taylor 1, Hopkins-Taylor 2, and Taylor-Wright. I was pleasantly surprised how fast-paced the last one was.

I was only planning on watching Hopkins fights this week but it's spurred me on to watch some of Taylor's fights (namely Pavlik-Taylor I and Taylor-Froch). It kind of breaks my heart to see how quickly Taylor unraveled after beating Hopkins. He got put through the grinder quickly and those stoppages against Pavlik and Froch were sad to watch (especially considering how likable he was). It's even more sad to hear what's become of his life since.

Around November/December 2020, I took it upon myself to go back and watch fights from the past while jotting down notes and round by round descriptions of the action, and scoring them in the process. To this date (October 29, 2023), I've filled up three FIVE STAR brand notebooks and I've been able to enjoy fights which, despite knowing the results, allowed me to appreciate fighters from different times and have a MUCH MUCH greater understanding and patience for judges. It's not an easy job especially when rounds are consistently competitive, or where there's not much to choose from, even moreso when there's more than one of them. RARELY can an individual (let alone some random poster on these sites) score 12 rounds and be able to look someone dead in the eye and say: "I'm sure I scored 100% of the rounds correctly and I had zero second guesses." Bull****. Boxing writers and pundits love to point out a judge's scorecard when it's askew but you rarely see them admit when they score it really badly (of course they can't, they're watching it with commentary or with friends). Having said that, I think it's acceptable when scorecards can vary slightly (1 or 2 rounds), but I don't think it's acceptable when one fighter is getting embarrassed or getting the daylights beat out of them.

Some notable observations I've made during these past three years:

-How the HELL did Harold Lederman have Paul Williams winning in his first against Carlos Quintana?

-How did Dan Rafael have Guillermo Rigondeaux only winning NARROWLY against Nonito Donaire?

-How the hell did all three judges have Canelo SWEEPING the first four rounds against Dmitry Bivol? I could understand anything between 4-0 Bivol to 2-2 even but that was atrocious.

-You could watch Pacquiao-Marquez 2 five different times and end up scoring 7 or 8 out of the 12 rounds differently on separate viewings.

Anyway, the next fights I plan on watching are the ones between Benitez, Leonard, Hearns, Hager, and Duran (in chronological order).

Comment

• Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
          The last three fights I've watched in the past two days were Hopkins-Taylor 1, Hopkins-Taylor 2, and Taylor-Wright. I was pleasantly surprised how fast-paced the last one was.

I was only planning on watching Hopkins fights this week but it's spurred me on to watch some of Taylor's fights (namely Pavlik-Taylor I and Taylor-Froch). It kind of breaks my heart to see how quickly Taylor unraveled after beating Hopkins. He got put through the grinder quickly and those stoppages against Pavlik and Froch were sad to watch (especially considering how likable he was). It's even more sad to hear what's become of his life since.

Around November/December 2020, I took it upon myself to go back and watch fights from the past while jotting down notes and round by round descriptions of the action, and scoring them in the process. To this date (October 29, 2023), I've filled up three FIVE STAR brand notebooks and I've been able to enjoy fights which, despite knowing the results, allowed me to appreciate fighters from different times and have a MUCH MUCH greater understanding and patience for judges. It's not an easy job especially when rounds are consistently competitive, or where there's not much to choose from, even moreso when there's more than one of them. RARELY can an individual (let alone some random poster on these sites) score 12 rounds and be able to look someone dead in the eye and say: "I'm sure I scored 100% of the rounds correctly and I had zero second guesses." Bull****. Boxing writers and pundits love to point out a judge's scorecard when it's askew but you rarely see them admit when they score it really badly (of course they can't, they're watching it with commentary or with friends). Having said that, I think it's acceptable when scorecards can vary slightly (1 or 2 rounds), but I don't think it's acceptable when one fighter is getting embarrassed or getting the daylights beat out of them.

Some notable observations I've made during these past three years:

-How the HELL did Harold Lederman have Paul Williams winning in his first against Carlos Quintana?

-How did Dan Rafael have Guillermo Rigondeaux only winning NARROWLY against Nonito Donaire?

-How the hell did all three judges have Canelo SWEEPING the first four rounds against Dmitry Bivol? I could understand anything between 4-0 Bivol to 2-2 even but that was atrocious.

-You could watch Pacquiao-Marquez 2 five different times and end up scoring 7 or 8 out of the 12 rounds differently on separate viewings.

Anyway, the next fights I plan on watching are the ones between Benitez, Leonard, Hearns, Hager, and Duran (in chronological order).
          - - Re Pac/BALCO Juan 2, mid rd Pac KDs him hard, and then KDs him just before the bell into the ropes that Bayliss don’t call.

Then Bayliss has to redirect as he was heading toward Manny corner, ie a clear KO missed by Bayliss after Cortez missed the 1st rd KO in their first fight.

Conclusion: Manny fought at a higher level than average fans and refs could understand…

Comment

• I watched one of my bouts from like 35 years ago. I fought like sheet but managed to get the nod.

...................Rockin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              I watched one of my bouts from like 35 years ago. I fought like sheet but managed to get the nod.

...................Rockin'
              Where you in the house corner?

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Where you in the house corner?
                I was.................Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 10-29-2023, 08:39 PM.
                Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Re Pac/BALCO Juan 2, mid rd Pac KDs him hard, and then KDs him just before the bell into the ropes that Bayliss don’t call.

Then Bayliss has to redirect as he was heading toward Manny corner, ie a clear KO missed by Bayliss after Cortez missed the 1st rd KO in their first fight.

Conclusion: Manny fought at a higher level than average fans and refs could understand…
                  I wound up giving the second fight to Manny. Actually, I scored all three for Manny. The second fight is where I believe Marquez built his best case for winning, though. The third he fought a little too cautiously and the first fight he was in too much of a hole from the outset.

All brilliant efforts, though. The fact that he fought so well in the first after a such a disastrous start to me epitomizes what his career was all about. The real life Wolverine healing factor…

Comment

• Over the course of last week I watched and scored

Hopkins-Pascal I (114-112 Hopkins)
                    Hopkins-Pascal II (115-113 Hopkins)
                    Hopkins-Dawson I (10-9 Dawson before the No Contest)
                    Hopkins-Dawson II (118-110 Dawson)

I'm gonna' try and square away Hopkins-Cloud and Hopkins-Kovalev before the end of the week.

Comment

• Does anyone buy/sell/trade fight DVDs anymore, or is everything online? I've got shoeboxes full of dvds of fight cards and career sets that I either recorded or bought online. I haven't busted those out in years. There used to be a video trading section here years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X