Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several days ago, I watched Ring magazine’s 2011 Fight of the Year: Victor Ortiz vs Andre Berto. This was a very satisfying slugfest between these two. They had explained in the beginning how Berto had suffered a meltdown in the middle of a fight a few years prior and that he had been trying to redeem himself ever since. So, that kinda made me root for him. And boy did he put up one fell of a fight, even though Ortiz was doing the better job more often.

Last night, I saw another awesome fight from that year: Delvin Rodriguez vs Pawal Wolak. The quality of this fight grew higher and higher over the course of ten rounds. Wolak was just unbelievably relentless, just non-stop! Rodriguez took a bit longer to get started than Wolak, but when he really started putting the hurt on, he gave Wolak one of the nastiest swelling around his right eye I had ever seen. Similar to previous fight I mentioned, they mentioned how Rodriguez was coming off a year of rest after being screwed in his last three fights where he lost very close judges decisions. So once again I found myself rooting for the underdog. If you check this out, I must tell that this one will be really, really difficult to judge, no matter who you are.
    siablo14 siablo14 likes this.

Comment

• Jones Canizales last night
      Spinks Cooney this morning

Comment

• Last night, I saw Bazooka Limon vs Cornelius Boza Edwards. As soon as I saw this in my YouTube recommended feed, I just KNEW I had to see this. If you’ve seen both of these guys’ fights against Bobby Chacon, you know exactly what I mean. And man, they didn’t disappoint here! At times, Edwards acted like the smarter fighter, but Limon managed to get him into a brawl plenty of times to make this an entertaining scrap!
        Last edited by Flickergrab98; 12-07-2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nash out View Post
          Luis Ortiz vs Malik Scott. Possibly the best fight of all time. Unbelievable skill level on display. Ortiz's slick Cuban skills from a southpaw stance, and power shots, and Malik Scott showing incredible speed and defence, utilising the full size of the ring, even the floor at times, to avoid being hit. It was a special fight. I had Ortiz winning it by 1 point, but Scott showed that he is truly elite. Nash out.
          - - Gonna let an unbiased description define this sordid debacle in the last Scott fight of a mediocre career as an occasional fringe contender-

referee: Jean-Robert Laine | Stanley Christodoulou 106-120 | Robert Hoyle 105-120 | Nelson Vazquez 106-119
          vacant World Boxing Association Inter-Continental Heavy Title (supervisor: Mariana Borisova)
          Scott counted knocked down in rounds 4, 5 and 9; 4 other attempts at jumping on the canvas not counted

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Gonna let an unbiased description define this sordid debacle in the last Scott fight of a mediocre career as an occasional fringe contender-

referee: Jean-Robert Laine | Stanley Christodoulou 106-120 | Robert Hoyle 105-120 | Nelson Vazquez 106-119
            vacant World Boxing Association Inter-Continental Heavy Title (supervisor: Mariana Borisova)
            Scott counted knocked down in rounds 4, 5 and 9; 4 other attempts at jumping on the canvas not counted

I gave Scott bonus points for the way he worked on the floor. It was such a skilled and unique way of showing tremendous defensive skills by putting his body in a place where Ortiz can't hit him. I recall the fans cheering throughout the fight, and Scott got a standing ovation at the end. Nash out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
              What fight did you watch recently/last night ?

This morning i had it on my mind to watch and score the Witherspoon vs Holmes fight so that is what i did. Ive just watched Douglas vs Tucker (boring as hell) and Tyson vs Pinklon Thomas.

What fight did you watch recently or today?
              Benavidas vs Angulo
              The sound was great because it was a very empty venue. You could hear the leather popping, sounded like a gunshots. Also, he's a "grunter". In boxing, you have your, what I refer to as "grunters" and "shushers". It's kind of boxing version of the kiai, in karate, where one forcefully exhales when striking. I'm a "shusher", myself. Anyway, Benevidas is a tall, long armed super middle weight, power puncher. He is unusually fast for his length, as well as a savage puncher. If you are a beginner, and haven't sparred yet, and plan on getting into boxing competitively, give this fight a look. Gives you a good idea what boxing is really about. I think today with PPV, Youtube, SHO, etc, people are prone to staying home and watching it on TV. If this is ones only exposure to the sport, it can be very misleading. BTW, great fight to watch. Angulo is one tough dude. Although technically, they RTD'd in the 10th, of a 12 round bout, dude lasted 5 or 6 more rounds than a lot of lesser men would.

Comment

• Originally posted by dreamroom View Post

Benavidas vs Angulo
                The sound was great because it was a very empty venue. You could hear the leather popping, sounded like a gunshots. Also, he's a "grunter". In boxing, you have your, what I refer to as "grunters" and "shushers". It's kind of boxing version of the kiai, in karate, where one forcefully exhales when striking. I'm a "shusher", myself. Anyway, Benevidas is a tall, long armed super middle weight, power puncher. He is unusually fast for his length, as well as a savage puncher. If you are a beginner, and haven't sparred yet, and plan on getting into boxing competitively, give this fight a look. Gives you a good idea what boxing is really about. I think today with PPV, Youtube, SHO, etc, people are prone to staying home and watching it on TV. If this is ones only exposure to the sport, it can be very misleading. BTW, great fight to watch. Angulo is one tough dude. Although technically, they RTD'd in the 10th, of a 12 round bout, dude lasted 5 or 6 more rounds than a lot of lesser men would.
                Benavidez*
                dreamroom dreamroom likes this.

Comment

• I very carefully scored Triple-G vs Canelo 1. It is impossible to give that fight to Canelo, and almost impossible to score as a draw, but they scored it a draw. Byrd is one of the more half witted judges ever. Or the openly crookedest.

Comment

• Two nights ago I finally finished watching the second James Toney vs Mike McCallum fight. Toney was in excellent shape for this fight, while McCallum showing his age more than he did in the first. So, that didn’t spell good news for the latter. These two still made this a very difficult fight to judge. Pretty similar to the first fight in that way, just as much of a tactical yet entertaining match as the first too. McCallum was finding more success when he tried to overwhelm Toney rather than box him. He also seemed to be able to sneak more body shots in this fight than he did in that last from what I remember; though against a guy like Toney who’s excellent at fighting out of the Philly Shell, one of if not the best guard for protecting the body, body shots must be hard to pull off. Personally, I pick Toney out of a pretty close match.

After that, I watched Naseem Hamed vs Marco Antonio Barrera. Overall, not a super action-packed fight but still managed to be pretty entertaining. Not QUITE as much of a lopsided total destruction as I was led to believe, but at no point did the Prince ever get the lead on my personal score cards. I was really shocked when they mentioned how so few sports writers didn’t give Barrera a chance of winning. I can only assume they still had the “loss” to Morales and both his losses to Junior Jones still in their heads. They also probably assumed Barrera would make the same mistakes all of Hamed’s other opponents have made and didn’t expect him to fight as intelligently as he did here. One last thing, this fight is a testament for why both of these guys are some of the most (popular) disrespectful fighters to enter the ring. Those who haven’t seen this fight yet, give it a watch if you want to know what I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      I very carefully scored Triple-G vs Canelo 1. It is impossible to give that fight to Canelo, and almost impossible to score as a draw, but they scored it a draw. Byrd is one of the more half witted judges ever. Or the openly crookedest.
                      Shhhh, don't be too loud with that opinion. The sycophants will hunt you down.

Comment

Working...
                      X