This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
    Just watched Marvin Hagler's one punch ko of Fulgencio Obelmejias from 1982. A perfectly executed right hook. Obelmejias had no business receiving 2 shots at Hagler
    Great finish. Is that the fight where he and Leonard discussed a possible meeting in the post fight?

Comment

• Sonsona vs Alejandro Hernandez

Round 1 Sonsona

Sonsona showed his speed landed an earlier right hook straight left, then mid round
      Sonsona landed a straight left hand and an uppercut toward the end.

Round 2 Sonsona
      Sonsona landed two counter uppercut and a straight left toward the end

Round 3 Hernandez
      Hernandez put the pressure on Sonsona this round, he managed to go to Sonsona's body
      and pinned Sonsona on the ropes at one point.

Round 4 Sonsona

Hernandez started well by going to the body and bringing his shot back
      up top but Sonsona started to take over mid round with his aggression and
      straight left hand to the body and head, at one point Sonsona had Hernandez
      pinned in the corner, Sonsona did get caught with a good right hook right at
      the end where some people may have seen Hernandez pinching the round but
      i still went for Sonsona, so to did Russ Anber

Round 5 Hernandez
      Best round for Hernandez. Hernanandez pressured Sonsona throughout
      went to the body and landed a number of clean punches on Sonsona when
      he trapped him on the ropes

Round 6 Hernandez

Sonsona was having a decent round but he stepped off the gas toward the
      end and let Hernandez back in to take the round. Sonsona the hunter in the early part of the round
      became the hunted when he let Hernandez back him up, Hernandez rocked Sonsona mid round with a
      right hook. Sonsona is best on the front foot pressuring Hernandez but he keeps letting Hernandez back him
      up. To Sonsona's credit he did hurt Hernandez to the body
      in this round

Round 7 Sonsona
      sonsona landed a right hook early in the round that seemed to stun Hernandez and put him off
      balance momentarily. I gave it to Sonsana on the power shots that he landed, he landed with the uppercut and dug
      some hard shots to the body.

Round 8 Sonsona
      Better round for Sonsona he pressured Hernandez and hit Hernandez hard to the body and pinned him on the
      ropes for the most part, Henandez landed some good shots to but he was a little inactive

Round 9 Sonsona
      Both scored punches in this round and the round was on the table up for grabs but Sonsona manged
      to nail Hernandez with a hard combo that tipped the round his way imo. Russ Anber has also given
      Sonsona the last 3 rounds.

Round 10 Hernandez

Good round for Hernandez, Sonsona was in control but Hernandez took over mid round and put
      him on the backfoot, pressured him and landed some good shots. If Hernandez is losing this fight its because
      of his lack of consistency, Sonsona has been more active in the mid to late rounds.

Round 11 Hernandez
      Very good round for Hernandez, he nailed Sonsona a few times here. Sonsona looks like he is tiring and
      making the weight could be taking its toll on him. Hernandez pressued him througout this round

Round 12 Hernandez
      Another excellent round for Hernandez. Sonsona did not do much and Hernandez was all over him like a
      rash pressuring him and going to the body thourghout. Sonsona was getting nailed clean at the end of the
      fight.

Sonsona caught too many clean shots for my liking, but in the mid to late rounds 7 through 9 he showed his
      heart by coming back whilst Hernandez took his foot off the gas, it might have cost him the fight to. Herandez
      came back strong in the late rounds and Sonsona did looked tired (possibly making the weight starting
      to effect his performance) but there was too many of those middle rounds between 7-9 where Hernandez
      was not consistent enough with his attack. Who knows what would of happened if Hernandez had the right
      footwear from round one, maybe he does not lose round 1 & 2 and wins the fight. Hernandez had the wrong
      footwear on and had to change his shoes inbetween round because he was slipping on the canvas badly. q
      When Hernandez changed his shoes he won the very next round.Henandez managed to rock Sonsona
      in round 6 but Hernandez was rocked himself in round 7.

I noticed in the Lopez vs Sonsona fight how Sonsona had trouble when pressured and it was the same
      story here. When Sonsona was the aggressor forcing Hernandez back he was effective, but when he was pressured
      by Hernandez he got trapped on ropes and caught on tail end of too many shots.

--------------------------------------------------------

Molitor v Saez

Round 1 Molitor

Not much landed but Molitor did land two solid right hooks on
      Paez

Round 2 Saez
      Saez nailed Molitor early with the right hand and then went to the body
      Molitor landed two punches but he was inactive for the most part

Round 3 Molitor
      Not a lot of effective work from either guy, lots of missing but
      Molitor still landed the cleaner work.

Round 4 Molitor
      Molitor landed 3 clean left hands then pinned him on the ropes and
      peppered him with straight lefts right hands

Round 5 Saez 10/8
      Molitor was winning the round and landed a nice straight left that sent
      Saez realing however he tried to apply the pressure and caught a left in
      return and got dropped so Saez takes this round 10/8, not a heavy knockdown

Round 6 Molitor

Saez tried to ruff Molitor up but Molitor landed a 2/3 straight left hands

Round 7 Molitor
      Scrappy round but Molitor just about landed the better shots. Saez landed
      one good right hook but thats about it

Round 8 Molitor
      Closish round to mid point of the round but Molitor esablished himself the winner of the
      round by nailing Saez with some good clean straight lefts toward the end

Positives. Molitor's right hook worked very effective early on then he seemed to favour the straight
      lefts which seemed to be the punch that was landing more as the fight wore on. Molitor did not get
      caught all that much considering he was fighting such a wild unpredictable style like Saez's and he
      did win the most of the rounds and won the fight.

Negatives. Ever since i started to watching Molitor the one thing that sticks out more than most is
      that he always! backs up in straight lines, he is also reluctant to step inside and put the pressure on an
      opponent, he prefers to keep things long and be cautious. Molitor did get dropped in the fight, albeit i dont
      think significantly as his feet might have got caught underneath him.

----------------------------------------------------------------
      I dont think i did as good a job of scoring this as i got interrupted but Kessler could of gotten round 5, most of press row gave him that round i think.

Kessler vs Ward

Round 1 Ward

Ward scored the jab to head and body, counter left hand. Kessler cant seem
      to get off if you step off the line after throwing your shots, he needs a stationary
      target to get off

Round 2 Ward
      Not much seemed to land here but Ward may have closed it out a little
      better and landed the few shots that landed.

Round 3 Ward
      Clear round for Ward he landed the best punches of the fight many left
      hook right hands. Kessler is not putting enough pressure on he is giving
      Ward too much time and space to set up

Round 4 Ward
      Ever better round for Ward, he landed the jab and left hooks early then
      Kessler came back tio nail Ward with a left hook but it woke Ward up again
      as he landed quite a few clean right hands one of them hurt Kessler.

Round 5 Ward
      Scored the jab and hooks. Kessler threw a little more but missed a lot imo

Round 6 Ward
      Ward landed a lovely right uppercut inside and he landed a couple up jabs,
      Ward seems to be able not to miss Kessler even if he overhoots his punches
      because Kessler goes straight back in a line and Ward just follow up what
      he misses

Round 7 Ward
      Ward is beating him to the punch again and outhussling him. Ward cant
      miss Kessler with the upjab because Kessler fights with his head in air and
      he goes back on the line

Round 8 Ward

Ward touching with the left and using his speed advantage to set up counter
      right hands

Round 9 Ward
      Kessler actually landed 3 good shots this round but still got outhussled.
      Kessler landed two short right hands inside and he landed solid shot toward
      the end of the round, however Ward still won the round on his activity and
      working Kessler over inside

Round 10 Ward
      Ward just cannot miss Kessler with the up jab after he throws the right, its
      a technical flaw on Kessler's part, his is too upright and goes straight back
      in a line meaing he cant avoid getting hit with shots if Ward follows him
      and keeps the punches coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
        Great finish. Is that the fight where he and Leonard discussed a possible meeting in the post fight?
        Excellent memory, British Bulldog. Leonard and Hagler had a very entertaining post fight interview. Two weeks later, Sugar announced his retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
          Saw Lloyd Honeyghan's second fight with Jorge Vaca and also his fight with Breland. Both fights ended in the third round. Honeyghan went toe to toe with Vaca before knocking him out with a hellacious body shot. Breland almost killed Lloyd, as the ref waited too long to stop the fight

Comment

• Ken Norton vs Ron Stander. Norton looked quite brilliant in dispatching a washed up, out of shape Stander.

If you ever want to look up a fighter with truly terrible defense, watch a Ron Stander fight. He is basically a human punching bag who makes Gatti and Chuvalo seem great defensively. All he does is stand still with his arms held high while taking a vicious beating.

Norton landed the most brutal combinations I've ever seen him throw, including a 10 punch combination.

Here's some footage of a "prime" Stander:

Last edited by TheGreatA; 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              Ken Norton vs Ron Stander. Norton looked quite brilliant in dispatching a washed up, out of shape Stander.

If you ever want to look up a fighter with truly terrible defense, watch a Ron Stander fight. He is basically a human punching bag who makes Gatti and Chuvalo seem great defensively. All he does is stand still with his arms held high while taking a vicious beating.

Norton landed the most brutal combinations I've ever seen him throw, including a 10 punch combination.
              did u watch that on you tube or dvd?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
                did u watch that on you tube or dvd?
                I have the fight on my computer.

Comment

• i just watched hopkins-trinidad then hopkins-pavlik. two very similar fights with almost a similar ending if not for Pavlik hanging out tough in the last round..reminds me again of how great Hopkins is.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    I have the fight on my computer.
                    were did you download that fight from?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                      Excellent memory, British Bulldog. Leonard and Hagler had a very entertaining post fight interview. Two weeks later, Sugar announced his retirement.
                      Leonard was a smart guy wasn't he lol

My scorecard from the Bute vs Andrade 2 broadcast.

Funeka vs Guzman

Round 1 Guzman

Guzman went to the body throughouth and scored
                      a few right hand/hooks

Round 2 Guzman
                      Guzman went to the body throughout and scored left hooks
                      when he brought his attack up stairs. Funeka is missing a lot of
                      jabs because of Guzman's headmovement and blocking.

Round 3 Funeka
                      Guzman started well but Funeka got the jab to score this round
                      and it set up some nice right hands

Round 4 Funeka

Guzman started okay but by the mid/ late round Funeka was stuffing the
                      jab in his face and right at the end he nailed Guzman with a good
                      couple of shots.

Round 5 Funeka
                      Guzman was doing well countering early but he stepped of the gas
                      got hit with a good combo mid round and Funeka closed better whilst
                      Guzman became inactive.

Round 6 Funeka
                      Guzman started aggressively but again he stepped of the gas and let
                      Funeka score with the jab and dictate the pace and close the round out
                      better. Guzman is no where near consistent enough.

Round 7 Funeka (Close) Swing round (Lederman scored this for Guzman)
                      Funeka dictated the pace and stuffed Guzman with the jab and scored
                      a few nice right hands, Guzman had a better round upping his activity
                      and closing the range but Funeka still went tit for tat with him even
                      on the inside.

Round 8 Funeka
                      I was going to give Guzman this round even though Funeka was coming
                      on towards the end and landed punches inside, but Guzman got tagged and hurt, Funeka was trying to take him out by the end of the round

Round 9 Funeka
                      Funeka started well landing the jab putting Guzman on his heels, Guzman
                      looked discouraged in the round imo. Guzman did get inside mid round
                      but he did not get much done and by the end he was being back up again
                      and letting Funeka dictate with his jab

Round 10 Funeka
                      Huge round for Funeka. I can tell whether Guzman is discouraged or
                      still hurt from round 8, what ever the case maybe he was back to letting
                      Funeka back him and being inactive, Funeka dictated the to Guzman again
                      landing the cleaner shots

Round 11 Guzman (being kind)

I thought Guzman may have taken this on his hard shots, Guzman
                      showed his heart and he was a bit more active than in previous rounds.
                      Funeka was not that effective later in the round the way he was early
                      although he was still busy

Round 12 Funeka
                      Funeka landed the jab throughout and landed his short counters

Guzman started well going to the body and bringing his attack back up
                      stairs but Funeka seemed to find a home for his jab in the 3rd, it should
                      be no coincidence that Guzman's activity level dropped off after that. There
                      were a few round after that where Guzman was on his way to winning a
                      couple of the tight/close rounds but he let Funeka outwork him down
                      the stretch by not punching enough, as was the case in round 8. Guzman was
                      winning round 8 but got himself badly hurt at the end of the round to
                      swing it Funeka's way. Im not sure if Guzman was discouraged or hurt
                      but after that 8th round he let Funeka back him up and dictate to him. In the late
                      rouds Guzman would get pinned on the ropes and Funeka was started to punish him.
                      You dont let a 6ft fighter have the centre of the ring and back you up on the
                      ropes, not if you want a chance of winning anyway.

Guzman may have taken the 7th but i still gave it to Funeka, that said i gave Guzman the 11th which could of gone to Funeka so it evens itself out. Even if you want to give Guzman the benefit of the doubt in both those rounds thats still only 4 rounds he won at best!!! i dont think he won more than 3 rounds though.

---------------------------------------------

Andrade vs Bute

Round 1 Bute
                      Bute 3 straight lefts and a nice right hook, Not enough pressure from
                      Andrade particularly considering he is fighting a Southpaw.

Round 2 Andrade
                      Andrade managed to force Bute out of his comfort zone and landed
                      some short shots

Round 3 Bute
                      Terrific straight left landed by Bute, he also countered Andrade with
                      the right hook straight left combo

Round 4 Bute 10/7
                      Competitive round where both fighters scored but Andrade got
                      caught with a head shot that came from the blind side that dropped
                      him, he got up and not long after Bute knocked him out with a
                      body shot.

Bute wins in 4th round on a body shot.
                      Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X