No announcement yet.

Some Extremely Interesting Larry Holmes Comments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larry x View Post
    correct me if im wrong..didnt lewis beat mercer??
    No. It was a MD which shoulda been a UD for Mercer. Or a draw AT LEAST!

Comment

correct me if im wrong..didnt lewis beat mercer??
      Yes he did.

Also, Tyson couldn't take a punch?

Comment

larry holmes is the biggest hater besides floyd sr what do you expect...evander holyfield is skilled enough to hang with norton frazier etc....lol at him taking lennox admiration seriously...

holmes is top 5 heavy regardless.....
        Last edited by billionaire; 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
          No. It was a MD which shoulda been a UD for Mercer. Or a draw AT LEAST!
          You've never even seen that fight.No amount of browsing Boxrec will tell you how that fight played out Mr Boxrec Ranger.

Comment

Hey its only the other day that you guys `jumped on my case`claiming i had disrespected Larry Holmes... Now someone has put up a couple of phrases from Holmes autobiography "Against The Odds" and you yourselves are assasinating the guy.. The best laugh i have ever had on this or any other forum was the guys who claim Lennox Lewis would have beat Joe Frazier, that is just hilarious thinking, its like saying Ricky Hatton beats Roberto Duran. Joe Frazier was the roughest and toughest of them all and Larry Holmes aint being bitter, he has no need to be bitter he gets his respect on these forums every single day, what fight fans need to do is `pay attention to what great fighters like Holmes have to say`he is only telling it like it really is.

Comment

I think Tyson would have been beaten by many of the 70's heavyweights, or at least had lots of trouble with them.

Ali, Foreman, Frazier, and Holmes would have beaten him, and guys like Norton and Shavers would have definitely given him trouble.

Holyfield, Lewis, the Klitschkos, none of them would just walk into that era and have lots of success. They wouldn't be bums or anything, but they would have trouble winning titles.

Comment

i think holmes is just trying to talk himself up..prime tyson and prime holyfield beats prime holmes...holmes is nothing but a gap in history between ali and tyson..and i think that hurts him
                pretty sure a Prime holmes takes out Holyfield, it's a styles thing. I don't know what he was saying about Bonavena beating Tyson or even Frazier, pretty bad style matchups, even Frazier said he hated fighting men his height.

You watch a past prime Mike fighting Buster Mathis Jr, aka a poor mans Frazier, and it was a recipe for disaster.

Comment

I agree with most of what he's saying.. Way too harsh on Tyson though.. Had Cus D'Amato lived another 10 years, Mike would have been the greatest..

Comment

Originally posted by JmtRyan View Post
                    Yes he did.

Also, Tyson couldn't take a punch?
                    "I can't understand what these people are looking at," Giachetti said. "I watch the replay and I see three or four times where Ruddock is out on his feet. Here's the thing--Mike goes out there with the second-best heavyweight in the world, dominates most of the rounds, dominates the fight, knocks him down twice, breaks his jaw and puts him in the hospital.

"Now, he's fought Ruddock 19 rounds, and I think Mike won 16 of them, if you take away the point deductions.

"Now, were they (Tyson's media critics) at the same fight I was? I mean, what do they want from this guy? Here's Ruddock, who everyone agreed had the greatest single shot in boxing, his left hook, and he tags Mike several times right on the button with it, and Mike doesn't go down.

"I used to think Larry (Holmes) had the greatest chin I ever saw. After Friday, I changed my mind. No one, ever, had a better chin than Mike's."
                    ~ Richie Giachetti {former trainer of Larry Holmes}

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-07-...1_tyson-fights

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                      pretty sure a Prime holmes takes out Holyfield, it's a styles thing. I don't know what he was saying about Bonavena beating Tyson or even Frazier, pretty bad style matchups, even Frazier said he hated fighting men his height.

You watch a past prime Mike fighting Buster Mathis Jr, aka a poor mans Frazier, and it was a recipe for disaster.
                      you are deluded if you think Joe Frazier resembles Buster Mathis jr. in anyway...

Holmes is telling the truth about Bonavena, Joe Frazier said Bonavena was the toughest guy he ever fought, Bonavena had a style all of his own, he was a `barrel-chested two-fisted brawler who bobbed, rolled and weaved his way in, he was a very dangerous man for anyone past or present.. i have Frazier vs Bonavena (2) full fight and its as good a fight over 15rds as any fight in history

Comment

Working...
                      X