No announcement yet.

Who Was The Greatest and Worst Promoter Of All Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Na, it's a truth. Italian-American were discriminated against.

They 'Al Caponed' Carbo and Palermo, giving them 20 years each. When the Black guy got five years and then the judge suspended his sentence because of his War service.

The five year sentence would have been fair considering, but they were putting Carbo and Palermo away for 20 years for all the other crimes they committed, but without the RICO Act (which would not come until 1970) they couldn't convict.

Just like they did with Capone; had that been you or I, back in 1932, we would have gotten a large fine and a year or maybe two in prison, e.g. Westly Snipes. Al Capone got 11 years. We all know why.

Carbo and Palermo got 'Al Caponed.' AND THEY DESERVED IT.

Gibson was sentenced correctly. The decision to suspend his sentence speaks to his political connections. He was a successful Black man associated with the War Department. He embarrassed the Civil Rights movement and proved that the Black man was the White man's equal, even when it came to crime.

The two WOPs got what they deserved. They bled every fighter, whoever appeared on TV, on all four Networks, for nine years. Gibson was there for it all, right from the get go.

Sports writers were calling the IBC "the octopus." Because it touched, fleeced, every aspect of the game. The fighters, managers, promoters, and broadcasters all had to pay the IBC fees.

The one conviction they got, for extortion was just boiler plate, they needed to shut down IBC and they did with anti-trust laws.

Anyway I am not comparing the plight of the Italian-American to that suffered by the American Black man. I understand well, being Italian that they don't compare.
    I only read the first line. Maybe I'll come back and read the rest, but I'm not saying they weren't and also not getting into a convo. about this. I'm just making a polite request to keep it about boxing. Of course you can feel free to do what you want, however.

Comment

Originally posted by YGriffith View Post
      Don king is best and worst promoter tbh.

ItsTrueTho.gif

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post

I only read the first line. Maybe I'll come back and read the rest, but I'm not saying they weren't and also not getting into a convo. about this. I'm just making a polite request to keep it about boxing. Of course you can feel free to do what you want, however.
        I am exhausted by your rudeness.
        Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 06-28-2023, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I am exhausted by your rudeness.
          I thought I was being quite polite. Take it how you want.

Comment

Na, it's a truth. Italian-American were discriminated against.

They 'Al Caponed' Carbo and Palermo, giving them 20 years each. When the Black guy got five years and then the judge suspended his sentence because of his War service.

The five year sentence would have been fair considering, but they were putting Carbo and Palermo away for 20 years for all the other crimes they committed, but without the RICO Act (which would not come until 1970) they couldn't convict.

Just like they did with Capone; had that been you or I, back in 1932, we would have gotten a large fine and a year or maybe two in prison, e.g. Westly Snipes. Al Capone got 11 years. We all know why.

Carbo and Palermo got 'Al Caponed.' AND THEY DESERVED IT.

Gibson was sentenced correctly. The decision to suspend his sentence speaks to his political connections. He was a successful Black man associated with the War Department. He embarrassed the Civil Rights movement and proved that the Black man was the White man's equal, even when it came to crime.

The two WOPs got what they deserved. They bled every fighter, whoever appeared on TV, on all four Networks, for nine years. Gibson was there for it all, right from the get go.

Sports writers were calling the IBC "the octopus." Because it touched, fleeced, every aspect of the game. The fighters, managers, promoters, and broadcasters all had to pay the IBC fees.

The one conviction they got, for extortion was just boiler plate, they needed to shut down IBC and they did with anti-trust laws.

Anyway I am not comparing the plight of the Italian-American to that suffered by the American Black man. I understand well, being Italian that they don't compare.
            I think at point you had to go through the mob to get a world title shot, especially if you were an Italian boxer.
            nathan sturley max baer likes this.

Comment

[QUOTE=Willie Pep 229;n31912858]
              Originally posted by Ivich View Post

I never mentioned the IRS.
              Typing in Thruman Gibson would produce no results.Truman Gibson is another matter.
              I'm not saying Gibson did not break the law,I'm saying,he was no gangster.
              "Lie down with dogs ,you get up with fleas."

Louis took training expenses for both his charity fights.Jacobs contributed a percentage of his profits. [/QUOTE]

Yea I got his name correct in the first narative and then decided to get it wrong in the second.

I also got the wrong Secretary of War in one of the naratives. It should have Stimson not Stanton. Stanton was Lincoln's guy. Lol

The way I understood the situation donating a part of his profits was the problem.

FIRST OFF: Gibson's involvement goes back to the IRS. You really can't talk Gibson unless you involve the IRS and War Department's effort to get Louis out of tax debt.

The IRS made it clear that the fights were to be charity events in which no one makes a profit. This is what screwed Louis. When he donated his purse to war relief it was taxable.

Had it been a true charity event then Louis' contribution would have been non-taxed.

Dispite Jacobs, Gibson, and Roxborough malfeasance the IRS and War Department were willing to give it a third try with Louis-Conn II in the first week of October making it abundantly clear that no one was to make a PROFIT and both Louis and Conn would be cleared of their tax debt.

But Roxborough and Jacobs just couldn't bear the thought of not stealing some of the money and the fight got called off.

No sir, I am sorry Jacobs and Roxborough were thieves and they screwed Louis over.

In regards to Truman Gibson. You make money off the IBC you are stealing from fighters. You associate yourself with the likes of, Carbo, Palermo, and Norris then you are stealing from fighters. That makes you a gangster.

IMO You're making excuses for a thief.

From Boxrec:

Truman Gibson was a political adviser to U.S. President Harry Truman, lawyer for Joe Louis, and secretary and president of the IBC International Boxing Club. The IBC was dissolved after the Supreme Court ruled in 1959 that it had violated antitrust law. Two years later, Gibson and four co-defendants – Frankie Carbo, once described by the New York district attorney's office as "the underworld czar of boxing", Louis[SIC] Tom Dragna, Joe Sica, and Frank Palermo – were convicted in federal court of conspiracy and extortion in an effort to siphon off earnings from the welterweight champion Don Jordan. Gibson was sentenced to five years' probation and fined.​

P.S. Are you aware how they used Joe Louis to set up the IBC, and then bought him out?

Gibson was a real bottom feeder.
              I am aware
              .Gibson was a positive force for Blacks during WW2.

Comment

Working...
              X