No announcement yet.

How Many Fighters Retired Undefeated?..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
    Wow, has someone ever had a worse resume en route to a world title shot?

Besides Pete Rademacher of course.
    Leon Spinks?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      Leon Spinks?
      Sad thing is Spinks won. Yet another reason why Ali is not the greatest.

Comment

Only the greatest fighter of the decade did REALLY retire undefeated-Joe C! Schmuck Ottke lost at least four fights in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
          Sad thing is Spinks won. Yet another reason why Ali is not the greatest.
          That's sort of stupid to say. Ali had Parkinson's Syndrome by then and was in no way near gifted like he was in his prime or even post-Vietnam.

It's like saying the same thing with SRR about him losing to journeymen fighters towards the end of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ring King View Post
            That's sort of stupid to say. Ali had Parkinson's Syndrome by then and was in no way near gifted like he was in his prime or even post-Vietnam.

It's like saying the same thing with SRR about him losing to journeymen fighters towards the end of his career.
            No it's not. Robinson wasn't champion anymore. Hadn't been in years. Ali was still Champ. And if he was so finished, why did he win the rematch? The man just beat a prime Earnie Shavers convincingly prior to the first Spinks fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
              No it's not. Robinson wasn't champion anymore. Hadn't been in years. Ali was still Champ. And if he was so finished, why did he win the rematch? The man just beat a prime Earnie Shavers convincingly prior to the first Spinks fight.
              And after the second Spinks fight he lost to Holmes.

The point is he wasn't even near half of what he used to be. You can't base a fighter's legacy off of their last performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbelievable View Post
                Or like Harold Johnson losing to the Bob Satterfield's and Oakland Billy Smith's of the world,my mistake,Harold Johnson was actually in his prime at that time but go ahead and ask dunce if Harold Johnson was a greater fighter than Roy Jones Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
                  Or like Harold Johnson losing to the Bob Satterfield's and Oakland Billy Smith's of the world,my mistake,Harold Johnson was actually in his prime at that time but go ahead and ask dunce if Harold Johnson was a greater fighter than Roy Jones Jr.
                  It's not like Satterfield or Smith were bad fighters.

I do agree that it's utterly ridiculous to bring up Ali's loss to Spinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbelievable View Post
                    And after the second Spinks fight he lost to Holmes.

The point is he wasn't even near half of what he used to be. You can't base a fighter's legacy off of their last performances.
                    He retired after the second Spinks fight. He wasn't Champion when he came out of retirement for Holmes. He was further along then than before. Not to mention Holmes is a top 10 ATG Heavyweight, many would say top 5. Ali was SUPPOSED to lose to him at that point. I never said Ali was prime when Spinks beat him. But he was clearly competing with the best in the world at that time, and Spinks was far from the best in the world. Which is why Ali was HEAVILY FAVORED to beat Spinks in the first fight. He was NOT SUPPOSED to lose. Yet he did. If it wasn't such a terrible upset he wouldn't have been able to correct it in the rematch.

Ali was simply known to struggle with small Heavyweights.

And who said I based his legacy off it? I said it's one of the many indications he's not THE greatest, I never said he wasn't one of the greatest. Don't assume.

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
                    Greater LHW. Not greater p4p. Get your bull**** straight, pooperscooper.

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    I do agree that it's utterly ridiculous to bring up Ali's loss to Spinks.
                    C. O. N. T. E. X. T.

Comment

I don't think the Spinks fight should be brought up in any context though to be honest. Robinson may not have been the champ when he lost all those fights in his 40's but he was probably in better shape and atleast wasn't slurring every other word like Ali was at the time.

You'd surely agree that Ali shouldn't have even been the champ at that point in his career, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X