No announcement yet.

Greatest French fighter(s)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    Carpentier followed by Cerdan, without doubt.. Johnny Famechon deserves a mention to, although fought out of Australia..

Wamba, who I agree was dreadfully underrated, was originally from the Congo in Africa..
    However, he fought out of France.. I seem to remember him being WBC champ & on a long winning streak when his career suddenly came to an abrupt halt.. Anyone know why?... I know he was down to fight Tommy Hearns at one stage, but the fight never came off..

There's been some good fighting brothers from France to.. Famechon's, Tiozzo's, Acares's, Girard's..

Bourdouani, Mormeck are also good fighters.. Renee Jarquot who beat Don Curry for one of the L/M titles, wasn't bad either..
    Nah, we claim him! Aussie mate, through and through. No damn frogs are going to pinch him. Famechon was a right proper ruddy bugger, cobber. True blue and all that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      Carpentier followed by Cerdan, without doubt.. Johnny Famechon deserves a mention to, although fought out of Australia..

Wamba, who I agree was dreadfully underrated, was originally from the Congo in Africa..
      However, he fought out of France.. I seem to remember him being WBC champ & on a long winning streak when his career suddenly came to an abrupt halt.. Anyone know why?... I know he was down to fight Tommy Hearns at one stage, but the fight never came off..

There's been some good fighting brothers from France to.. Famechon's, Tiozzo's, Acares's, Girard's..

Bourdouani, Mormeck are also good fighters.. Renee Jarquot who beat Don Curry for one of the L/M titles, wasn't bad either..
      Thats right, Jacquot. He fought Terry Norris for the lm title. Actually, he had won the WBC title against Don Curry but then got unlucky in the first defense against John Mugabi and slipped on the canvas, injuring his ankle. In the first round too.
      Last edited by Benncollinsaad; 09-28-2009, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Nah, we claim him! Aussie mate, through and through. No damn frogs are going to pinch him. Famechon was a right proper ruddy bugger, cobber. True blue and all that ****.
        LOL.
        Always amazes me how great the Aussies are good at sport
        If you think about it the U.K. settled it with people who were the poorest athletes i.e. the people who couldn't outrun the police.
        Kind of throws evolution on its head a bit

Comment

1) Marcel Cerdan
          2) Battling Siki
          3) Georges Carpentier
          4) Marcel Thil
          5) Eugene Criqui
          6) Emile `spider`Pladner
          7) Jean Marc Mormeck
          8) Gratien Tonna
          9) Louis Arcaries
          10 Anaclet Wamba

all very good fighters

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            1) Marcel Cerdan
            2) Battling Siki
            3) Georges Carpentier
            4) Marcel Thil
            5) Eugene Criqui
            6) Emile `spider`Pladner
            7) Jean Marc Mormeck
            8) Gratien Tonna
            9) Louis Arcaries
            10 Anaclet Wamba

all very good fighters
            How can you leave out Fabrice Tiozzo and Bruno Girard?

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
              How can you leave out Fabrice Tiozzo and Bruno Girard?
              it was not a case of leaving anyone out.. i named my top 10 all time great French Fighters and the 2 you suggest are not in my Top 10

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                it was not a case of leaving anyone out.. i named my top 10 all time great French Fighters and the 2 you suggest are not in my Top 10
                What did Battling Siki, Thril, Criqui and Pladner do to deserve making the list?? I never even heard of the last three!

Comment

What did Battling Siki, Thril, Criqui and Pladner do to deserve making the list?? I never even heard of the last three!
                  Siki beat Carpentier but I don't think he was as great as Carpentier. His career was rather unimpressive aside from that one win.

Marcel Thil was the middleweight champ which is more than enough to make the list.

Ray Famechon, the uncle of the Australian Johnny Famechon, deserves a mention here. Ray was a long-time featherweight contender who fought Willie Pep and Sandy Saddler.

Comment

very surprised at you that you ask what did these fighters do to deserve being on my list..
                    Battling Siki was one of the most colourfull fighters in history who often walked around with a pet Tiger on a lead, many books have been written about this fighter whose life-style made Mike Tyson seem like a boy scout, Criqui & Thil both won over 100 fights and are in the IBHOF Criqui is famous for being the only world champion with no jaw, his jaw was shattered by a bullet in WW1 he had it rebuilt with a Goats leg bone, Thil was a great fighter beating the likes of Gorilla Jones, Jock McAvoy and the great Len Harvey.
                    Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      Fair Dinkum!... We did the same with Boza Edwards & arguably Lennox Lewis.. Bit like some of the Kiwi's where Bob Fitzsimmons is concerned..

Comment

Working...
                      X