No announcement yet.

Thoughts On This Top 20 Heavyweight List

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigMacFoster View Post
    Well if only baseless predictions on hypothetical dream matches actually amounted to anything.Look at some of the examples you've used for christ sake.

Frazier against Ali the first time? Where took a tremendous amount of punishment at the hands of a non puncher who had fought just two fights in three and a half years and then you list another fight where he lost.

Lennox Lewis held a greater right hand than Ali ever did,Lennox Lewis wouldn't have needed as many blows to defeat Frazier with the beard that he sported.

Ezzard Charles had far greater performances than he did against Joe Louis,Louis was done at this point in his career and had a pulse that resembled that of his past title defences.

Tyson was in prison between 1992 and 1995 so exactly does this version defeat Lennox Lewis?

Would his fellow prison inmates be judging this fight?

I find it ironic that you often dismiss Lennox Lewis's landslide victory over David Tua with the comment that "David Tua was the fattest man to ever challenge for a title" yet you go ahead and list the Holyfield of the foreman fight,were a 28 year old champion got staggered by a 42 year old 257 pound challenger who was fifteen years past his peak.

Who was the "fattest man to ever challenge for a title" again?
    Muhammad Ali a non-puncher... dont make me laugh, that must be the most ridiculous comment you have ever made and you make a huge ammount of them, Ali was the only man to KO Bonavena, he KOd Liston, was the only man to KO Foreman, he KOd Zora Folley and was as good a puncher as any champion..

Holyfield was at his `best the nights he fought Foreman & Bowe (2) regardless of how the fights went,

Tyson was not in his prime 92-95 he was in prison

Tyson from 86-95 would KO Lennox Lewis

The Charles vs Louis fight was Ezzard Charles at his `best` regardless of what condition Joe Louis was in..

Frazier against Ali (1) and also in Manilla was a tremendous fighter regardless of what you may think, he would have been far too much for any version of Lennox Lewis, You must be under the impression that Frazier would be just standing there letting Lennox Lewis hit him with right-hands all night.

who did Lewis ever KO with a big right-hand other than Hasim Rahman, Oleg Maskaev poleaxed Rahman TWICE knocking him over the top rope and out of the ring for 5 minutes, Lewis done nothing that had not already been done before, Hasim Rahman was a `Bum`
    Did Lewis knock out Zelko Mavrovick, did he KO Levi Billups the same Billups who was poleaxed more than a dozen times by class C fighters, Lewis never came close to a KO against an old Holfield in 24rds yet John Ruiz floored Holyfield, Bert Cooper had him in dire straights and he was hurt against Foreman you claim.... yet you are trying to claim Lewis hit hard enough to KO Joe Frazier..

Yes David Tua was the "Fattest" man to ever fight for the title

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Ali was the only man to KO Bonavena, he KOd Liston, was the only man to KO Foreman, he KOd Zora Folley and was as good a puncher as any champion..
      ** Ali was a sharp attrition puncher at his best. In his comeback when he was sitting down more on his punches, well, Kenny Norton and Bob Foster both noted he couldn't bust a g****.

The Bonavena KO was as fake as the Liston KOs. Oscar was stopped by the 3 KD rule in effect with time running out in the 15th round. Ali never went to the neutral corner for those KDs and actually has to brush by the ref to get at Oscar. It didn't help that Oscar was as dumb as they get and just jumped up instead of buying time by extending the count out.

Knocking out Folley was no big deal. Dropping a well knackered Big George for near the full count after a showstopper combo was premium, but George arguably beat the count and Ali was in no condition to continue himself. That he couldn't put a dent in the most knocked out heavy champ in history, Leon of Neon Manor, pretty much defines the contradictory nature of dropping Big George which Jimmy Young also did.

Cox's list is decent, but he needs to lose Bowe completely and swap out Louis and Ali to pass my first screening.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
        ** Ali was a sharp attrition puncher at his best. In his comeback when he was sitting down more on his punches, well, Kenny Norton and Bob Foster both noted he couldn't bust a g****.

The Bonavena KO was as fake as the Liston KOs. Oscar was stopped by the 3 KD rule in effect with time running out in the 15th round. Ali never went to the neutral corner for those KDs and actually has to brush by the ref to get at Oscar. It didn't help that Oscar was as dumb as they get and just jumped up instead of buying time by extending the count out.

Knocking out Folley was no big deal. Dropping a well knackered Big George for near the full count after a showstopper combo was premium, but George arguably beat the count and Ali was in no condition to continue himself. That he couldn't put a dent in the most knocked out heavy champ in history, Leon of Neon Manor, pretty much defines the contradictory nature of dropping Big George which Jimmy Young also did.

Cox's list is decent, but he needs to lose Bowe completely and swap out Louis and Ali to pass my first screening.
        It was still impressive do even dropping the iron chinned Oscar and stopping him inside the distance, so i feel this impressive. Oscar was as tough as they come.

Comment

Originally posted by billionaire View Post
          terrible list by a narrow minded old timer...jim jeffries was a bum would be annilated by every truly great.....holyfield is too low, lewis is not better than tyson, jack johnson is too high....
          Credible list that could be juggled based on opinions. Jeffries is a bit high but he was an all time great for sure. Can't knock what he did in his era.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post

Bob Fosters remark is laughable, Ali put him down 8 times while playing with him... Norton was staggered several times by Ali.

Oscar was gone, the left-hook Ali hit him with was a `Classic`and he would not have beaten the count after the 3rd knock down.

Ali in no condition to continue after KOing Foreman ... you need to got watch that fight, Ali had barely broken sweat and could have gone another 15rds if need be...

Jimmy Young never floored Foreman... George was `staggered` by Young and tripped over Youngs foot and his glove brushed the canvas hence it was called a knock down.

knocking out Zora Folley was no big deal eh... you know nothing about this sport buddy if you think on those lines, Folley was one of the best boxers of the late 50s / 60s

Comment

Johnson, Dempsey, Liston Too High

Lewis, Tyson, Frazier Too low

Top 2 are spot on (in my opinion)
              Holmes & Foreman should be up there, & they are..
              It's pretty good with the exception of Jack Johnson.. No way was he the 3rd best of all time.. Don't mean to upset, but I'd say, both Klit's would beat him quite easily, had they all been around at the same time..

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Boxing9 View Post
                1.Joe Louis
                2.Muhammad Ali
                3.Jack Johnson
                4.George Foreman
                5.Larry Holmes
                6.Jack Dempsey
                7.Sonny Liston
                8.Jim Jeffries
                9.Lennox Lewis
                10.Mike Tyson
                11.Rocky Marciano
                12.Joe Frazier
                13.Rid**** Bowe
                14.Evander Holyfield
                15.Sam Langford
                16.Gene Tunney
                17.James J. Corbett
                18.Ezzard Charles
                19.Jersey Joe Walcott
                20.Max Schmeling
                http://coxscorner.tripod.com/20heavyweights.html

Personally i have Ali at 1, but i can accept Louis being there and arguments can be made for Johnsons high place.

Foreman however is waaay to high for my liking as is Bowe. Vander is way to low and Jeffries does not belong in the top 10. Apart from that i could accept the list, but not agree with it.

Comment

Bowe higher than Holyfield?

Comment

Just as a second observation, I wouldn't give Jeffries a cat in hells chance against Holyfield, Tyson, Lewis or Bowe..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

It's pretty good with the exception of Jack Johnson.. No way was he the 3rd best of all time.. Don't mean to upset, but I'd say, both Klit's would beat him quite easily, had they all been around at the same time..
                      Johnson probably is a bit high but you have to take into account that in my mind he was 30 odd years of his time and quite a student of the game so who is to say he wouldn't have adjusted and been a force in whatever era he fought. As for the Klits beating him,maybe but they wouldn't be knocking him out in the 26th round I have my doubts whether they could last 15 stamina wise.

Comment

Working...
                      X