Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Archie Moore Held Back By The Crossguard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Archie Moore Held Back By The Crossguard?

Archie Moore is always mentioned as a contender for the greatest light heavyweight to ever do it and is considered one of the most accomplished fighters ever.

Though there’s always been one man in particular who is considered the best case for why Archie isn’t the greatest light heavyweight; Ezzard Charles. Not once in THREE fights could Moore beat Charles. The most he was able to do was lose a majority decision in their 2nd one, couldn’t even get a split decision. It’s made me wonder if there was just a fundamental flaw in his style that couldn’t be compensated for.

I then remembered seeing in the comment section of this video about Moore (https://youtu.be/-dnvBsqm6pE) someone explaining the various weaknesses of the cross-guard. Check out the comment thread underneath there if you want to get the specifics.

My point is, with how much effort it took to make the crossguard work and how throughly a technician like Charles was able to tear it apart, would Moore have been better off going in with a more standard guard in their second or third fight?

You know that he didn't change up any for II and III?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      You know that he didn't change up any for II and III?
      I don’t know, did he? I can’t watch these fights. Are there any published descriptions of the fights that can tell us anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Flickergrab98 View Post
        Archie Moore is always mentioned as a contender for the greatest light heavyweight to ever do it and is considered one of the most accomplished fighters ever.

Though there’s always been one man in particular who is considered the best case for why Archie isn’t the greatest light heavyweight; Ezzard Charles. Not once in THREE fights could Moore beat Charles. The most he was able to do was lose a majority decision in their 2nd one, couldn’t even get a split decision. It’s made me wonder if there was just a fundamental flaw in his style that couldn’t be compensated for.

I then remembered seeing in the comment section of this video about Moore (https://youtu.be/-dnvBsqm6pE) someone explaining the various weaknesses of the cross-guard. Check out the comment thread underneath there if you want to get the specifics.

My point is, with how much effort it took to make the crossguard work and how throughly a technician like Charles was able to tear it apart, would Moore have been better off going in with a more standard guard in their second or third fight?
        - - Cross guard something Arch adopted much later. Moreover, it was one of many guards he used in his career. Don't think all three Charles fights on youtube either, but probably the last one that I dimly recall ages ago.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Cross guard something Arch adopted much later. Moreover, it was one of many guards he used in his career. Don't think all three Charles fights on youtube either, but probably the last one that I dimly recall ages ago.
          I haven’t seen that third fight pop up at all when I search up Moore on YouTube. Think it might be found on other sites?

Comment

the cross guard is pretty good. Extremely efficient. Foreman used it his entire comeback, subtle headmovement and cross guard. Leaves you somewhat open to body shots hence the high trunks.

Archie was a technician but in all his fights he was a technician hes also brawling so to speak. Hes a similar type of fighter like James Toney or Duran. They are very skillful, if you fight them. Charles, esp for his day was very patient and not always a crowd pleaser. Most of his punches were bait shots with spurts of explosivity mixed in to befuddle his oponents. Its funny though, both Charles and Moore were definitions of knockout artists. Moore would have had an obsessive eye for detail type of thinking, but charles was very strategic in his. Looking at their styles it makes sense charles beat him 3x.

Comment

Moore taught Foreman long guard techniques, a term I hadn't even heard before.

Comment

- - I believe this was just a rumor spread just before his passing when a crossing guard held him from crossing into traffic

Comment

In other words, Queensbree never heard of it either, and thought he would say something stupid not funny.

Comment

I haven’t seen that third fight pop up at all when I search up Moore on YouTube. Think it might be found on other sites?
                    that would be anazing to watch. A lot of skill in one ring, probably boring for casuals

Comment

Working...
                    X