No announcement yet.

Place Your Bet: Ray Leonard vs Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place Your Bet: Ray Leonard vs Marciano

The greatest ring general in the history of the game versus its greatest attrition fighter. Conveniently, the two men are about the same size: 5'10". Who wins, and why? Marciano can expect to be well peppert by jabs. Will it be enough? His face is used to looking like a busy day in the butcher shop. Stay off the ropes, Ray. Let's get down to some action.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 12-05-2021, 11:05 PM.

Not many rounds I don't reckon.

One thing no one does or has done that kind of throws analogs out is distance inside fighting. Which I just made up cause I dunno what else to call it. Marciano throws inside punches adapted for the outside. Left hook leads from as far back as jabs. No one even attempts that. It's a different monkey.

From bell to bell there's nothing but pressure and unless you're such a good mover you simply never got touched then advantage is not yours.....and I only know of one boxer who claims to never been hit. Melankomas.

Nothing but pressure being key. I get tired of seeing people talk like Marciano is Dempsey or Frazier. You know Dempsey and Frazier and Mike Tyson too, they got similarities, but as far as pressure is concerned they Rocky's sons. Trying to do what he did. Dempsey does not fly across the ring with a punch. Dempsey charges. Tyson charges, Frazier has a nice left hook but even he needs to be much closer to feel like he can wing it and so he steps in. Marciano does not step in then punches, Marciano leaps across the ring with a punch.

I've seen no absurd mover to be the counter to his argument. Leonard? He gets hit when pressured and takes advantage when he can make a spot. What if there is no spot? What if every time you land it means he's punching too? That's Leonard ****ed.

I don't even think the big guys can do much tbh but imo that is the only logical way to beat Marciano. Be too tough, be too big, because no human can move good enough to never get hit under pressure. Floyd got hit, Leonard got hit, Ali got hit loads.

If there's anything about Marciano that is tragically downplayed it is his gas tank. You didn't see **** all like that prior or after. Not even tiny men keep a Marciano pace. They tire. In a world were there is no time limit Marciano is in trouble. If there is a time limit that game is not so much hit harder or take more it's can you keep up with this pressure. Can you put out this amount of energy for 15 rounds? The answer is no one.

Wlad's great, best win in the first 3 rounds or he's ****ed.

Lennox, so massive, so talented, so sucking wind after 10 mins

Maidana had Floyd trapped, once, really pushed him, seems like a little more gas would have done the trick.

Mike Tyson, so dangerous, so fast, so powerful, only has 4 rounds before he sits on his ass and asks to be counted out.

On top of this, take a guy like Wlad and compare him just in technique to Walcott. Wlad has **** all nothing but size and he's gonna tire extremely fast compared to Marciano.

Smallers like Leonard and Floyd love to wait for their antagonist to get slower to pick up their own pace....mistake.

Dudes like Loma look unbeatable clowning fools who take breaks then get stomped by a little pressure not even have as grueling as Rocky's.

I don't think anyone in the history of boxing beats him, that's why he's my dude. Hits too hard, too often, too much chin, and too much gas.
    The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

Hmmmm. Marciano was a Heavyweight, Leonard was at his best at Welterweight. That's too much of a weight class jump: Marciano by murder.
      uncle ben uncle ben likes this.

Comment

Remember, the two men are the same size: 5'10".

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Remember, the two men are the same size: 5'10".
          Height doesn't equal size.....but I think you know that and are being disingenuous to push an agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
            Not many rounds I don't reckon.

One thing no one does or has done that kind of throws analogs out is distance inside fighting. Which I just made up cause I dunno what else to call it. Marciano throws inside punches adapted for the outside. Left hook leads from as far back as jabs. No one even attempts that. It's a different monkey.

From bell to bell there's nothing but pressure and unless you're such a good mover you simply never got touched then advantage is not yours.....and I only know of one boxer who claims to never been hit. Melankomas.

Nothing but pressure being key. I get tired of seeing people talk like Marciano is Dempsey or Frazier. You know Dempsey and Frazier and Mike Tyson too, they got similarities, but as far as pressure is concerned they Rocky's sons. Trying to do what he did. Dempsey does not fly across the ring with a punch. Dempsey charges. Tyson charges, Frazier has a nice left hook but even he needs to be much closer to feel like he can wing it and so he steps in. Marciano does not step in then punches, Marciano leaps across the ring with a punch.

I've seen no absurd mover to be the counter to his argument. Leonard? He gets hit when pressured and takes advantage when he can make a spot. What if there is no spot? What if every time you land it means he's punching too? That's Leonard ****ed.

I don't even think the big guys can do much tbh but imo that is the only logical way to beat Marciano. Be too tough, be too big, because no human can move good enough to never get hit under pressure. Floyd got hit, Leonard got hit, Ali got hit loads.

If there's anything about Marciano that is tragically downplayed it is his gas tank. You didn't see **** all like that prior or after. Not even tiny men keep a Marciano pace. They tire. In a world were there is no time limit Marciano is in trouble. If there is a time limit that game is not so much hit harder or take more it's can you keep up with this pressure. Can you put out this amount of energy for 15 rounds? The answer is no one.

Wlad's great, best win in the first 3 rounds or he's ****ed.

Lennox, so massive, so talented, so sucking wind after 10 mins

Maidana had Floyd trapped, once, really pushed him, seems like a little more gas would have done the trick.

Mike Tyson, so dangerous, so fast, so powerful, only has 4 rounds before he sits on his ass and asks to be counted out.

On top of this, take a guy like Wlad and compare him just in technique to Walcott. Wlad has **** all nothing but size and he's gonna tire extremely fast compared to Marciano.

Smallers like Leonard and Floyd love to wait for their antagonist to get slower to pick up their own pace....mistake.

Dudes like Loma look unbeatable clowning fools who take breaks then get stomped by a little pressure not even have as grueling as Rocky's.

I don't think anyone in the history of boxing beats him, that's why he's my dude. Hits too hard, too often, too much chin, and too much gas.
            I do not give the galoot corps much chance against Rock either. That is why you see the lineup of smaller'ns you do, and not a bunch of heavies.

One reason for his dominance is that the immediate neighborhoods of 6' and 200 lbs. come to mind as the perfect dimensions for a heavyweight boxer--not too small and not too large. When the perfect fighter of those dimensions does come along, he is well nigh unbeatable. If galoots cannot take him out right away, they are taken out themselves when their tanks get low after the passage of rounds. Rocky gets more warmed up throughout the fight.

Comment

Wait, are we seriously putting a natural heavyweight (or Cruiserweight technically), versus a guy who started out at Welterweight and barely made light heavyweight? He never even had any other fight at light heavyweight besides Donny Lalonde. And he never once even fought at Cruiserweight.

This doesn’t seem fair.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                The greatest ring general in the history of the game versus its greatest attrition fighter. Conveniently, the two men are about the same size: 5'10". Who wins, and why? Marciano can expect to be well peppert by jabs. Will it be enough? His face is used to looking like a busy day in the butcher shop. Stay off the ropes, Ray. Let's get down to some action.
                You do like the freak matches.

Dundee throws in the towel, 3rd round. Too much pressure, punches too heavy. . . . The ladies are correct 'size counts.'

How about Micky Walker vs. Jack Dempsey?

Willie Pep vs.Marvin Hagler ?

Hagler was at his weakest when forced to come foward; lead. I could see Pep stealing a UD decision in a fight were Pep never let's it turn into a fight. (Shades of Leonard-Hagler.) . . . But just maybe.

Size counts.

Comment

As compared with Marciano the most obvious difference between he and Dempsey would be speed. Dempsey was among the quickest of all heavyweight champions. Secondarily Dempsey threw ultra short crippling punches shifting constantly side to side gaining angles where he could hit and not be hit. Marciano in comparison wound up from left and right field with his shots. Rocky however was very good following through after throwing these punches by dipping out, low and back effectively not being in position to be countered once he missed.

Comment

Working...
                  X