Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring vs BWAA: Fight of the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003: BWAA has the better choice. Toney vs Jirov is one of my all-time favorite wars, and the skill on display there was at a higher level. Of the Ward-Gatti trilogy the first fight is the only outstanding one in my opinion.

2007: Ring Magazine has the better choice. Just a classic fight from a classic rivalry. I do remember Pavlik-Taylor 1 fondly, though. It was a surprising but emphatic changing of the guard and proof that Pavlik was for real.

2010: Ring Magazine has the better choice. Mexico vs Puerto Rico, classy boxing from Ivan Calderon with relentless pressure from brawler Segura until he finally broke down the Iron Boy. Khan was fairly dominant against Maidana outside of a few moments here and there.

2011: Ring Magazine has the better choice. Back and forth championship fight with multiple knockdowns. Rodriguez vs Wlowak was an epic little 10-rounder, however. Worthy of being mentioned.

2018: BWAA has the better choice. Hurd vs Lara had way more blood and guts than Canelo vs Golovkin 2.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 12-29-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Who do you think got it right for 2023?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        2003: BWAA has the better choice. Toney vs Jirov is one of my all-time favorite wars, and the skill on display there was at a higher level. Of the Ward-Gatti trilogy the first fight is the only outstanding one in my opinion.

2007: Ring Magazine has the better choice. Just a classic fight from a classic rivalry. I do remember Pavlik-Taylor 1 fondly, though. It was a surprising but emphatic changing of the guard and proof that Pavlik was for real.

2010: Ring Magazine has the better choice. Mexico vs Puerto Rico, classy boxing from Ivan Calderon with relentless pressure from brawler Segura until he finally broke down the Iron Boy. Khan was fairly dominant against Maidana outside of a few moments here and there.

2011: Ring Magazine has the better choice. Back and forth championship fight with multiple knockdowns. Rodriguez vs Wlowak was an epic little 10-rounder, however. Worthy of being mentioned.

2018: BWAA has the better choice. Hurd vs Lara had way more blood and guts than Canelo vs Golovkin 2.
        - - Lady Lara vs who ever hear of Hurd 4 U is typical. Canelo vs GGG the two top P4P fighters in boxing.

Canelo changed tactics of the first fight where he slowly moved in reverse around the ring keeping GGG off balance so he could walk GGG into his power punches. Rematch Canelo took Ring Center and Knocked GGG backwards everytime he came in range for 10 rounds. Satisfied that he had a substantial points lead, he then replicated the 1st fight for the last two rounds, a MASTERCLASS of his previous Masterclass he got no credit for. Poor Golovkin was never the same, but, hey, took his huge earnings back to Kzach where he's a huge HERO and reported now in charge of their Ama boxing program.

Comment

Working...
        X