No announcement yet.

The 10 greatest chins of all time.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 10 greatest chins of all time.

Stanley Weston, former Ring ****zine publisher has compiled the list below. It's in no particular order:

Joe Grim: Unquestionably the most durable fighter who ever lived. Though only a middleweight, he fought the top heavyweights of his era, including Jack Johnson and Bob Fitzsimmons, neither of whom could knock him out.

Ad Wolgast: Only 5'4¼", 133 pounds, and usually undertrained, he appeared to be encased in cement as thunderous blows would bounce harmlessly off his head. Several opponents broke their hands on his skull.

Battling Nelson: Nelson prepped for his ring career by engaging in headbutting contests. His nickname of "The Durable Dane" was perfectly suited. He thrived on punishment, and what was most remarkable about him was that the more he was battered, the more aggressive and stronger he became.

Barney Ross: His superb boxing skills overshadowed his ruggedness. In 81 pro fights, he was never stopped, and never even knocked off his feet. And he fought some real hitters, like Jimmy McLarnin, Billy Petrolle and Ceferino Garcia.

Jack Dempsey: Those two ferocious rounds with Luis Firpo proved beyond a doubt that "The Manassa Mauler" rates among the greatest shock-absorbers of all time. Only once was he stopped, early in his career by Jim Flynn.

Jake LaMotta: During their six-fight grudge series, Sugar Ray Robinson was unable to drop "The Raging Bull." Most of LaMotta's foes punched themselves into exhaustion against what became known as "The Immovable Object." Although LaMotta was stopped four times during his 13-year career, only Danny Nardico managed to knock him off his feet.

Carmen Basilio: What he lacked in boxing skill, Basilio more than made up with raw guts and an iron jaw. When hurt, he would stick out his chin, spread his feet wide apart. and defy an opponent to cut him down. Only Gene Fullmer stopped him.

George Chuvalo: It took murderous punchers like Joe Frazier and George Foreman to stop the rock-like Canadian. If they paid off on durability alone, Chuvalo would surely have been champion. The Ring founder Nat Fleischer called Chuvalo the toughest fighter he had seen in more than half-a-century of covering boxing.

Jim Jeffries: Disregard his historic bout with Jack Johnson in 1910, when he fell more from exhaustion than blows. "Jeff" was knockout-proof and indestructible. From the standpoint of brute strenght, he was the strongest heavyweight champion of all.

Marvin Hagler: The first round of the Hearns fight is all the evidence needed. Hagler fought all the hardest 160-pound hitters, from Briscoe and Hart to Roldan and Mugabi, and was never legitimately dropped (Roldan was credited with a knockdown, but Hagler actually slipped).

It's a fine list. Thoughts?

couldn't make the list better, very good list and also impartial

Comment

Great list, but I'd have had Marciano ahead of Chuvalo. Heres some other guys with amazing chins:

A guy named Muhammad Ali!
      A guy called Sugar Ray Robinson!
      Larry Holmes
      Wayne McCullough
      Ray Leonard
      Steve Collins
      Chris Eubank
      Randall Tex Cobb
      George Foreman
      Gene Tunney
      Floyd Mayweather
      Evander Holyfield

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Great list, but I'd have had Marciano ahead of Chuvalo. Heres some other guys with amazing chins:

A guy named Muhammad Ali!
        A guy called Sugar Ray Robinson!
        Larry Holmes
        Wayne McCullough
        Ray Leonard
        Steve Collins
        Chris Eubank
        Randall Tex Cobb
        George Foreman
        Gene Tunney
        Floyd Mayweather
        Evander Holyfield
        Oliver McCall never ever been on the floor as a professional, amateur or in sparring.

Mike Tyson had a great chin as did Jerry Quarry

Comment

Oliver McCall!!! How could I forget him Sonnybox? Easily one of the best chins of all time.

I totally agree about Mike Tyson's chin. I suppose the youngsters on the site who have only seen him KO'd by Holyfield, Lewis and Williams when well past his prime will use those fights as examples of Mike's lack of punch resistance. NO WAY! You only have to see him shrug off Bruno's and Ruddock's hardest punches to know that he could really hold a good shot.

I've always thought that Mike's chin is the opposite of Frazier's. I know I may sound a bit ****** saying this but Mike could take an almighty whack early and show no effect, but be stopped late by a cumulation of blows, whereas Frazier could be stopped by a big punch early, but shake off moderate blows all night. Just an observation.

As for Jerry Quarry's chin, yea.....not bad, that said Ali seemed to stagger and obviously stop him in fight 2 and Ali's punch was never very heavy. That said Jerry stood up to Shavers so hell! I'd always favour Foreman to KO Jerry though.

Comment

Oliver McCall!!! How could I forget him Sonnybox? Easily one of the best chins of all time.

I totally agree about Mike Tyson's chin. I suppose the youngsters on the site who have only seen him KO'd by Holyfield, Lewis and Williams when well past his prime will use those fights as examples of Mike's lack of punch resistance. NO WAY! You only have to see him shrug off Bruno's and Ruddock's hardest punches to know that he could really hold a good shot.

I've always thought that Mike's chin is the opposite of Frazier's. I know I may sound a bit ****** saying this but Mike could take an almighty whack early and show no effect, but be stopped late by a cumulation of blows, whereas Frazier could be stopped by a big punch early, but shake off moderate blows all night. Just an observation.

As for Jerry Quarry's chin, yea.....not bad, that said Ali seemed to stagger and obviously stop him in fight 2 and Ali's punch was never very heavy. That said Jerry stood up to Shavers so hell! I'd always favour Foreman to KO Jerry though.

Comment

Bloody computers^

Comment

1. Mike Gibbons 133 fights 0 KO's
                2. Duilio Loi 126 fights 0 KO's
                3. Billy Graham 126 fights 0 KO's
                4. Packy McFarland 112 fights 0 KO's
                5. Fidel LaBarba 84 fights 0 KO's
                6. Tony Canzoneri 175 fights 1 KO
                7. Pete Herman 143 fights 1 KO
                8. Sammy Angott 131 fights 1 KO
                9. Teddy Yarosz 128 fights 1 KO
                10. Jack Dillon 252 fights 2 KO's

Comment

I'm surprised Ali didn't make it on that list...Not to be predictable, but he stood up to some of the hardest punchers in heavyweight history.

Yes, he was knocked down a few times, but was never KO'd.

I think watching the Shavers, Holmes, Foreman and Frazier fights would attest to this.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    1. Mike Gibbons 133 fights 0 KO's
                    2. Duilio Loi 126 fights 0 KO's
                    3. Billy Graham 126 fights 0 KO's
                    4. Packy McFarland 112 fights 0 KO's
                    5. Fidel LaBarba 84 fights 0 KO's
                    6. Tony Canzoneri 175 fights 1 KO
                    7. Pete Herman 143 fights 1 KO
                    8. Sammy Angott 131 fights 1 KO
                    9. Teddy Yarosz 128 fights 1 KO
                    10. Jack Dillon 252 fights 2 KO's
                    Harry Greb was only stopped twice in 299 fights, and once was due to a broken arm.

Comment

Working...
                    X