No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Jess Willard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    The difference is that Hatton has no head movement and thus can't get away with it.
    And unlike Hatton, Dempsey actually understood the concept of "slipping punches"

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

More so than Pryor Arguelo or Margarito Cotto, I think there's a valid argument for unfair play here...
      Not sure about more so Mickey its all circumstantial kind of depends on your view really.
      I'd personally put the Dempsey Willard one in 3rd on the suss stakes.
      Don't forget Kearns was a hustler and him and Dempsey had fallen out big time so if you treat Kearns claims with the suspision you should what else is left, not too much in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        Not sure about more so Mickey its all circumstantial kind of depends on your view really.
        I'd personally put the Dempsey Willard one in 3rd on the suss stakes.
        Don't forget Kearns was a hustler and him and Dempsey had fallen out big time so if you treat Kearns claims with the suspision you should what else is left, not too much in my opinion.
        Kearns was the bad egg tor sure..
        Something's not right, because Willard was a big tough man with good bone structure.. Certainly, a lot tougher than most of Jack's other opponents.. And the fact he suffered some unique injuries not conducive with a boxing glove, reeks of foul play as far as I'm concerned.. Maybe not more so, but equally in comparison to Pryor..
        Last edited by mickey malone; 08-05-2009, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          And unlike Hatton, Dempsey actually understood the concept of "slipping punches"

Poet
          Hatton slipped punches quite well until he got in with prime world class operators..

I feel Dempsey is similar.. Against Willard, who let's be honest, was about Cooney's level at best, Dempsey was able to slip the punches with a low guard.. However, if he'd fought anyone near to the ability of Mayweather or Pacquiao, he'd have been found out.. I think he's generally overrated..

Comment

Hatton slipped punches quite well until he got in with prime world class operators..

I feel Dempsey is similar.. Against Willard, who let's be honest, was about Cooney's level at best, Dempsey was able to slip the punches with a low guard.. However, if he'd fought anyone near to the ability of Mayweather or Pacquiao, he'd have been found out.. I think he's generally overrated..
            Against a Pacquiao maybe: There's a reason I don't put Heavyweights on p4p lists Mayweather would just take the occasional pot-shot and run like ****.

Poet

Comment

Against a Pacquiao maybe: There's a reason I don't put Heavyweights on p4p lists Mayweather would just take the occasional pot-shot and run like ****.

Poet
              so your saying mayweather could beat ATG heavyweights? everyone has heavyweight's on a p4p list, i think you're the only one that dosent for some silly reason.

Comment

Poet
                Get your drift, but I still think that Dempsey fights in a similar style to Hatton, only with quicker head movement, & a more reliable chin..

Comment

Get your drift, but I still think that Dempsey fights in a similar style to Hatton, only with quicker head movement, & a more reliable chin..
                  Dempsey did a lot of subtle things that don't usually get noticed but win you fights: Kind of like a prime Duran in that regard. Hatton's about as subtle as a flogging; a crude slugger if there ever was one. Dempsey had more skills than that.

Poet

Comment

Dempsey did a lot of subtle things that don't usually get noticed but win you fights: Kind of like a prime Duran in that regard. Hatton's about as subtle as a flogging; a crude slugger if there ever was one. Dempsey had more skills than that.

Poet
                    It's been a while since I've seen any of his other fights, & I noted that you had some in your library.. Brennan,Firpo,Gibbons,Tunney.. Any one of those if at all possible.. Thanks mm

Comment

Kearns was the bad egg tor sure..
                      Something's not right, because Willard was a big tough man with good bone structure.. Certainly, a lot tougher than most of Jack's other opponents.. And the fact he suffered some unique injuries not conducive with a boxing glove, reeks of foul play as far as I'm concerned.. Maybe not more so, but equally in comparison to Pryor..
                      - - Me thinks mickey got slipped one too many Mickies...

Comment

Working...
                      X