Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    A lot of info about Dempsey's alleged cheating can be found here:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...hlight=Dempsey

From newspaper accounts I would say that destinction goes to Ad Wolgast stopping Battling Nelson in 40 brutal rounds.
    Yeah, thanks.... Just keeps raising my suspicions again..
    Could Dempsey have been influenced by Kearns?... He was dodgy,.. 4 sure..
    Why did Dempsey's punches look like those thrown from some type of Cyborg?... More so than ever b4, or afterwards?.... Against inferior opponents to Willard as well..
    There's an awful lot to chew on here, & I'm not even 100% sure on the managerial situation at the time.... But.......... Kearns was kind'a, the 'King' of his era...
    More so than Pryor Arguelo or Margarito Cotto, I think there's a valid argument for unfair play here...

Comment

That day(Prime Dempsey)could have beat most Heavyweight Champions who ever lived!!

Only fighters who were good boxers with good mobility and good foot speed could have beaten Dempsey that day.Also the ability to tie him up.Very few champions could have beaten that Jack Dempsey!!

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
        That day(Prime Dempsey)could have beat most Heavyweight Champions who ever lived!!

Only fighters who were good boxers with good mobility and good foot speed could have beaten Dempsey that day.Also the ability to tie him up.Very few champions could have beaten that Jack Dempsey!!
        What?... You mean by fighting exactly the same way as Ricky Hatton?..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          What?... You mean by fighting exactly the same way as Ricky Hatton?..
          Don't insult Dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
            Don't insult Dempsey.
            Don't start all the insult bollocks.. It's just a factual observation.. As with Hatton, that style works against a lot of fighters, but if Willard fought like Pacquiao, Dempsey would have been wide open to it.. Although it's one of the most brutal beatings in history, it also has to be one of the most reckless..

Comment

Don't start all the insult bollocks.. It's just a factual observation.. As with Hatton, that style works against a lot of fighters, but if Willard fought like Pacquiao, Dempsey would have been wide open to it.. Although it's one of the most brutal beatings in history, it also has to be one of the most reckless..
              There was nothing reckless at all about the way he fought up until the first knockdown. After that he was just going for the kill, this was before the neutral corner rule and Willard couldn't fight back at all - why not rain haymakers upon him?
              Last edited by Miburo; 08-04-2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                There was nothing reckless at all about the way he fought up until the first knockdown. After that he was just going for the kill, this was before the neutral corner rule and Willard couldn't fight back at all - why not rain haymakers upon him?
                His footwork looks ok, but his hands are at waist level.. I don't think he'd get away with that against a better opponent, or to put it another way, I think a lot of heavies would have flattened Willard that day.. He didn't look particularly clued up or confident, before the 1st KD.. Dempsey just did what he had to do, but I think Tyson, Foreman, Liston, Louis, would have poleaxed Willard with one punch & saved him from a lot of facial damage..

Comment

Here's the fight in better quality:

Comment

The difference is that Hatton has no head movement and thus can't get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                      It has been 90 years since this fight happened:

The complete film:

The fight in pictures:

great stuff thanks for posting it. i had never seen all the pre fight footage before. even showed dempseys dog great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X