No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Jess Willard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    Hi Mickey, yes poor Willard insisted that Dempsey's left glove was packed with a tool used to tighten ring ropes till the day he died! He kept what he believed to be the implement in a box and showed it to one of his biographers. It was apparently found on the canvas in Dempsey's corner by one of Jess's cornermen after the fight.

Others touted that Dempsey had used plaster of Paris!

I'm undecided but lean more to Dempsey's innocence, I think he had the beating of Willard anyway and more than enough power without extra aids.

The only doubt of mine stems from the sheer damage that Willard sustained.....a smashed eye socket! Foreman, Shavers and Tyson never did that to a man! Plus Dempsey never damaged a man's features quite like that again!
    Eye socket bone is not that thick and comparatively easy to fracture.Frazier did it to Chuvalo, Golovkin to Brook , Alvarez to Saunders.
    Last edited by Ivich; 11-06-2022, 07:54 AM.
    Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Eye socket bone is not that thick and comparatively easy to fracture.Frazier did it to Chuvalo, Golovkin to Brook , Alvarez to Saunders.
      Discrediting Dempsey is a BS past time. You can ware yourself out replying to all the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Discrediting Dempsey is a BS past time. You can ware yourself out replying to all the posts.
        Yeah I know.
        Dempsey had a sparring partner called Big Ben Wray,7 foot and close to 300lbs,Jack broke his jaw in 2 places with one left hook.he didn't need railroad spikes, plaster of paris,or bolts in his gloves.
        Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

- - Thing is in that high shadow clarifying B&W era, photos seem to show Jess thick cheekbone caved in just above the bulging jaw muscle that you can replicate with your finger above your clinched jaw muscle.

It was a jumping flurry starting with the left hook that first floored Jess in round 1.

image widget

Comment

Working...
          X