Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pryor's victory over Arguello tainted?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pryor's victory over Arguello tainted?

For years boxing fans have wondered what was in the "black bottle" that the infamous Panama Lewis made Pryor drink from. Pryor, seemingly rejuvenated, came out from his corner and stopped Arguello in the next round with a barrage of punches.

No drug tests were ever taken. Arguello bitterly protested at first, but as a classy individual let it be when nothing could be done.

Could Luis Resto's admission of guilt in the new HBO documentary have finally given us some answers? Here's what he had to say:

Drath’s persistence pays off and finally after 25 years, Resto admits his guilt in the matter. Further, he adds that not only did Panama Lewis remove padding from the glove, but his hand wraps were dipped in plaster before the fight as well.

And, to top it all off, Resto said that he drank an illegal stimulant in a water bottle mixed by Panama Lewis, the same Lewis who was caught on camera in the Aaron Pryor corner asking for the water bottle --“no, not that one, the one I mixed,” in Pryor’s first fight with Alexis Arguello, just prior to knocking out Arguello.

“When you’re tired, drink that and your lungs open up,” Resto says and adds that he used it in the Collins fight.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=21214

According to Panama Lewis, the "black bottle" only contained mineral water mixed with tap water but then again he is hardly a trustworthy source on this matter. To this day he continues to deny all accusations about the Luis Resto-Billy Collins Jr. fight.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-26-2009, 09:13 AM.

I've heard there was ******* in the water..

Comment

Pryor came back and beat him fair n square in the rematch. Maybe that don't prove he Lewis didn't do dirt in the 1st fight, but it proves Pryor didn't need him to.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
        Pryor came back and beat him fair n square in the rematch. Maybe that don't prove he Lewis didn't do dirt in the 1st fight, but it proves Pryor didn't need him to.
        Hard to say, Pryor figured him out stylistically and Arguello had deteriorated somewhat by the time of the second fight. For Arguello, coming up in weight against a fellow great, the first time around was his best shot.

Comment

What Resto said just adds to the su****ions that we had about what was in that bottle but we still don't know for sure what was in it. But one thing was for sure, Pryor looked tired at the end of the 13th whereas it looked like Arguello was coming on a little, Pryor came out in the 14th like it was the first round.

Comment

Incidentally, despite spurious claims in the HBO documentary, Arguello needed a knockdown (to have a chance for a draw) or a stoppage by the 14th round when the stoppage occurred. The scorecards were (from Arguello's standpoint): 124-127 | judge: Ken Morita 127-125 | judge: Ove Ovesen 124-127. I'm not sure where this story of a "Hispanic official scoring every round for Arguello, so Pryor needed the KO" came from, but it appears to be completely fictional.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
              Incidentally, despite spurious claims in the HBO documentary, Arguello needed a knockdown (to have a chance for a draw) or a stoppage by the 14th round when the stoppage occurred. The scorecards were (from Arguello's standpoint): 124-127 | judge: Ken Morita 127-125 | judge: Ove Ovesen 124-127. I'm not sure where this story of a "Hispanic official scoring every round for Arguello, so Pryor needed the KO" came from, but it appears to be completely fictional.
              Another one of the many myths created by the HBO Legendary Nights series.

Ken Morita is Japanese and in my view ranks as one of the worst judges of all time.

Comment

What gives more credence to the possibility of dirty tricks is Panama Lewis is on record and established as a cheat (ie. being banned for removing padding from his fighter's gloves). So there is significantly more weight to it than the unsubstantiated conspiracy theories your usually hear (Foreman was drugged, Wlad was drugged ect.).

Poet
                Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 07-26-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

what also pissed me off was the judges were scoring the WHOLE fight for arguello when pryor was winning some rounds.

my cousin (who was 7 at that time) said the bottle contained an amount of *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Radical View Post
                    what also pissed me off was the judges were scoring the WHOLE fight for arguello when pryor was winning some rounds.
                    That's a myth, as I noted above.

Comment

Working...
                    X