No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Louis At HW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    I still love Joe Louis, I hated picking against him.

I do think that...........ugly as his style is Ruiz would have the beating of many of yesterdays heavyweights too, he is I'm sure better (albeit less entertaining) than the likes of Gallento, Carnera or Simon. He's a durable, well paced heavy thats sadly too unexciting to watch.

The generations question has bothered me along time irrespective of which fighter is being debated.......or which sport!!! Honestly, go and watch some tennis from the 60s, or snooker or some football. Sports move on, Olympic records are bettered, training improves, nutrition. Fighters also have the benefit of studying opponents from good quality films that weren't that plentiful 70 years ago.

I've always thought that the 1967 Ali and the 1980 Holmes are the best heavyweights I've ever seen but will I be right to say that in 40 years time? Who knows, the age old adage that a good big un will beat a good little un does seem to hold true in boxing more often or not and in 40 years time heavies may average over 300lbs be 7ft and move fast!!

I think the Roy Jones that fought Ruiz would have a fair chance against many heavies of the past who weighed a similar amount. Ellis, Patterson, Johansson, Charles, Walcott, Braddock, Baer and perhaps even Dempsey. It would be nice if I was wrong about Louis and that he really would stand tall these days as a true legend to surpass the decades but I think my head is ruling my heart on that one.

One day I'll have to admit that the current dominant heavyweight would probably have beaten the 67 Ali. I think that Vitali and Wlad would give him very tough matches.........but I'm still waiting.
    This is where boxing is unique.. All of the other sports that you have mentioned have more competition these days than they did years ago, especially snooker.. With boxing it's the opposite.. There isn't as many guys competing these days.. They get inflated purses & only fight a couple of times a year for 1 of 4 titles.. It's all wrong! Old school fighters were far more practised in their profession & had more experience, sometimes fighting 10 times in 1 year for 1 title.. The likes of Joe Louis would have a good chance of cleaning up in any era..

Comment

Louis by KTFO within the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Comment

Hi Mickey, I totally see your angle. Fighting champs like Louis and Ali defended their titles very regularly and would be more ring sharp than someone who defends their title two or three times a year.

I've probably argued your way in the past too, certain fighters can make the generation jump. I'm sure that Robinson would do more than well today for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Hi Mickey, I totally see your angle. Fighting champs like Louis and Ali defended their titles very regularly and would be more ring sharp than someone who defends their title two or three times a year.

I've probably argued your way in the past too, certain fighters can make the generation jump. I'm sure that Robinson would do more than well today for example.
          Cheers!... The Cruiser weight division would buzz for sure lol..

Comment

Quite right...........and about time for the cruiserweights!

I've not seen a cruiserweight with faster hands than Floyd Patterson or Ali since the creation of the division, the old training methods clearly worked. David Haye has pretty quick hands but not in their league, likewise the younger Holyfield.

Comment

I could have sworn we covered this fight already. I'd give it to Joe Louis by knock out in the late rounds; like 13 or 14. If Jones can get knocked out by Tarver, Louis can most definately bomb on RJJ.

Someone answer me this, what is the big deal about RJJ? Aside from him being an entertainer and a gentleman, is he really a super fighter? I've never been a RJJ fan, i liked Sugar Shane better during the 90s era. Speaking of which, is Jones still fighting? Or did he hang em up? His last fight was against that Joe guy wasn't it?

Comment

Jone's ability to hold a punch was very good until he lost weight to fight Tarver, so many seem to think that Roy always had a glass chin. It wasn't the case. Other fighters who had great chins until having problems making weight include Hatton, De La Hoya, Ray Leonard and Chris Byrd. I think it is something to do with a lack of cushioning fluid around the brain.

We'll never know how a matchup would have gone but I do think that Roy at heavyweight was better, faster, craftier and more powerful than other hit and move types who gave Louis kittens like Farr and Conn.

Over twelve rounds I'd lean to a Jones decision........(but I'd be rooting for Louis!!).

As for Roy, hes just beaten Calzaghe victim Omar Sheika and has a big fight coming up with Jeff Lacy. If you didn't like him in the 90s check out his fights with Thornton, Brannon, Toney or Griffin 2, the man was amazing. I liked Sugar Shane too mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Squabbles94806 View Post
                  I could have sworn we covered this fight already. I'd give it to Joe Louis by knock out in the late rounds; like 13 or 14. If Jones can get knocked out by Tarver, Louis can most definately bomb on RJJ.

Someone answer me this, what is the big deal about RJJ? Aside from him being an entertainer and a gentleman, is he really a super fighter? I've never been a RJJ fan, i liked Sugar Shane better during the 90s era. Speaking of which, is Jones still fighting? Or did he hang em up? His last fight was against that Joe guy wasn't it?
                  The big deal about Roy is that his speed and reflexes may be the best ever, at light heavyweight the guy moved like a welterweight or lightweight. His fundamentals are lacking and that has cost him since he came back down from heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    The big deal about Roy is that his speed and reflexes may be the best ever, at light heavyweight the guy moved like a welterweight or lightweight. His fundamentals are lacking and that has cost him since he came back down from heavyweight.
                    Indeed... Good call.

Comment

Louis by KO in 4 rounds or so. I just can't see Jones hanging with Louis' power and accuracy. Louis' accuracy was incredible....

Comment

Working...
                      X