Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Louis At HW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Roy Jones that beat Ruiz would dance around Louis just like Billy Conn. The only reason Conn lost is because he got cocky and thought he could knock Louis out, a mistake an always cautious Roy Jones would not make.

Comment

Last edited by Benny Leonard; 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
        but when roy fought tarver and johnson, he wasnt the same fighter no more, because of losing all that muscle which destroyed his punched resistance and just ruined him as a fighter.

do you do make a good point, in saying it could be similar to jackson graham.
        I can make a better point..

What would Joe Louis have done to Johnny Louise??? I dread to think!

Taking a DC off one of the worst HW's of all time, cannot & should not, be compared to fighting arguably the very best HW of all time..

Jones knew the score, that's why he came straight back down again, effectively spoiling his resume..
        Last edited by mickey malone; 07-14-2009, 05:53 AM.

Comment

spoiling?

the man achieved the near impossible bro.

Comment

Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
            spoiling?

the man achieved the near impossible bro.
            Yeah, but this aint a fantasy thread, & the question is Vs Joe Louis.. I've just answered it.. To be honest, I think it's a stupid question, but I've refrained from giving a stupid answer.. On this occasion lol...

Comment

i see jones losing this one, louis was pretty fast, and not only that he was accurate as ****
              i dont see jones going down with one punch cuz in his prime he was very good at rolling with the punches and was smart enough to clinch, tieing up the opponenets arms, but i see him goin down a couple of times and eventually the fight being stopped

Comment

Honestly I think Roy would win. I'll get flack for this!!! They would both be around the same size and weight (Louis was around the 190lbs mark......a cruiserweight today!). Louis is a true legend who was well ahead of his competition in the 30s and 40s but I truely believe the game has moved on sufficiently in 70 years to plump for Roy.

Louis's competition at his peak (Schmelling, Baer, Gallento, Conn, Sharkey, Carnera, Simon, Braddock) would in my opinion, not survive at world level today and Louis was badly staggered, knocked down, or out by several of these. Jones's style would be too unorthodox, no one boxed quite like him back then. Louis hated jab and move types all his career, Farr and Conn (in his peak) and Walcott and Charles post prime. I think Roy would be too much.

Roy looked great against Ruiz and took some heavy blows enroute. Roy's chin only became weak after the move back to light heavy so I dont see the Johnson and Tarver KOs as a factor. Roy would have a speed, defense and mobility advantage and would likely take a decision.

Comment

I also think roy would of beat virtually all louis's heavyweight era. etc bear, schmelling, galento, farr, simon, sharkley.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Honestly I think Roy would win. I'll get flack for this!!! They would both be around the same size and weight (Louis was around the 190lbs mark......a cruiserweight today!). Louis is a true legend who was well ahead of his competition in the 30s and 40s but I truely believe the game has moved on sufficiently in 70 years to plump for Roy.

Louis's competition at his peak (Schmelling, Baer, Gallento, Conn, Sharkey, Carnera, Simon, Braddock) would in my opinion, not survive at world level today and Louis was badly staggered, knocked down, or out by several of these. Jones's style would be too unorthodox, no one boxed quite like him back then. Louis hated jab and move types all his career, Farr and Conn (in his peak) and Walcott and Charles post prime. I think Roy would be too much.

Roy looked great against Ruiz and took some heavy blows enroute. Roy's chin only became weak after the move back to light heavy so I dont see the Johnson and Tarver KOs as a factor. Roy would have a speed, defense and mobility advantage and would likely take a decision.
                    If he fought in the same way that he fought Ruiz, ie in & out with quick flurries, Louis would swat him like a fly.. If he went toe to toe with Louis, he may stand a chance, but it'd be slim.. If he tried to fight of the ropes, Louis would knock him outta the ring.. Size don't come into it, Roy beat Johnny Louise & Louis chopped down Carnera like a Canadian Redwood.. Just my opinion..

Comment

I still love Joe Louis, I hated picking against him.

I do think that...........ugly as his style is Ruiz would have the beating of many of yesterdays heavyweights too, he is I'm sure better (albeit less entertaining) than the likes of Gallento, Carnera or Simon. He's a durable, well paced heavy thats sadly too unexciting to watch.

The generations question has bothered me along time irrespective of which fighter is being debated.......or which sport!!! Honestly, go and watch some tennis from the 60s, or snooker or some football. Sports move on, Olympic records are bettered, training improves, nutrition. Fighters also have the benefit of studying opponents from good quality films that weren't that plentiful 70 years ago.

I've always thought that the 1967 Ali and the 1980 Holmes are the best heavyweights I've ever seen but will I be right to say that in 40 years time? Who knows, the age old adage that a good big un will beat a good little un does seem to hold true in boxing more often or not and in 40 years time heavies may average over 300lbs be 7ft and move fast!!

I think the Roy Jones that fought Ruiz would have a fair chance against many heavies of the past who weighed a similar amount. Ellis, Patterson, Johansson, Charles, Walcott, Braddock, Baer and perhaps even Dempsey. It would be nice if I was wrong about Louis and that he really would stand tall these days as a true legend to surpass the decades but I think my head is ruling my heart on that one.

One day I'll have to admit that the current dominant heavyweight would probably have beaten the 67 Ali. I think that Vitali and Wlad would give him very tough matches.........but I'm still waiting.

Comment

Working...
                      X