No announcement yet.

Do you think Jack Dempsey is overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    I only have top 20 p4p so it will have to do.

01. Ray Robinson
    02. Bob Fitzsimmons
    03. Sam Langford
    04. Roberto Duran
    05. Henry Armstrong
    06. Alexis Arguello
    07. Benny Leonard
    08. Ray Leonard
    09. Pernell Whitaker
    10. Ezzard Charles
    11. Joe Gans
    12. Roy Jones
    13. Pascual Perez
    14. Eder Jofre
    15. Miguel Canto
    16. Carlos Zarate
    17. Charley Burley
    18. Marvin Hagler
    19. Jimmy Wilde
    20. Willie Pepp
    canto, hagler, perez and zarate shound be on there. and alexis is far to high. monzon was better than all of them. but yet isnt there.

and pep is to low.

AND WERE THE HELL IS HARRY GREB?

sorry poet i feel your list is pretty pour

Comment

Which for me is a separate discussion entirely.

Poet
      you think Johnson beats Holmes, Foreman, Tyson and Holyfield? unless I misunderstood you your list is based on a heavyweights ability (i'm assuming on their best night) Johnson was the first black guy in boxing to really test the waters, but based on ability he looks very primitive, especially compared to a guy like Holmes.

also, Walcott needs a mention, very good ability at heavyweight even. Basically made a fool of everyone he fought but sometimes blew it with a bad mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        you think Johnson beats Holmes, Foreman, Tyson and Holyfield? unless I misunderstood you your list is based on a heavyweights ability (i'm assuming on their best night) Johnson was the first black guy in boxing to really test the waters, but based on ability he looks very primitive, especially compared to a guy like Holmes.

also, Walcott needs a mention, very good ability at heavyweight even. Basically made a fool of everyone he fought but sometimes blew it with a bad mistake.
        Walcott is one of those fighters who drops in and out of 12. He was actually in last year until I decided to bump him for Tyson.

Actually I DO feel Johnson beats those guys. I don't go as far as Bert Sugar who had him rated #1 Heavyweight all-time well into the 1990s though.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
          Sorry, I feel your nuthugging of Monzon is pretty POOR

PS. Monzon couldn't carry Arguello's jock.....and Duran would have made Monzon his *****.

Poet

Comment

PS. Monzon couldn't carry Arguello's jock.....and Duran would have made Monzon his *****.

Poet
            come on poet lets not talk silly. in my mind monzon was a better fighter than alexis. but they both could carry each others jock. and are you saying duran could beat monzon at 160? lets not talk silly now!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              Greb had the amazing ability to frustrate much bigger men. Tunney needed all of his science to beat Greb.

He beat Billy Miske, Tommy Gibbons, Bill Brennan, Battling Levinsky, Willie Meehan, Gunboat Smith whom Dempsey fought and defended his title against. Greb also defeated heavyweight contenders Bartley Madden, Charley Weinert, Kid Norfolk, Jack Renault and others.

Dempsey would have to be at his best to catch Greb. Greb's swarming tactics likely wouldn't work against the one punch KO power of Dempsey but Greb was described as being fairly elusive as well.
              Pretty amazing how well Greb dealt with bigger men. And it is indeed true that the Heavyweights Greb would defeat would go on to challage Dempsey.

After reading all the newspaper reports of there sparring sessions. There is no douting Greb had the upper hand. Dempsey coundt seem to handle Greb's swarming elusive style.

Do not a huge puncher, in one of the sessions Greb also split Dempsey's cheekbone. But there was a moment in one of the sparring sessions were Dempsey hit Greb with accurate body shot that lifted Greb of his feet, but Greb grined through it.

Before the sparring sessions Greb had hoped that sparring Dempsey would lead to a good relationship with him, and this relationship would better his chances of landing a fight, but after seeing just how good Greb was in sparring Dempsey went even more off the idea of the two ever having a showdown.

Also a interesting note is that Dempsey asked Greb to help him prepare for the first Tunney fight, but Greb declined the offer due to the fact that Greb knew Tunney would lick him.

I always felt Greb was never fond of Dempsey at times, and it is belived Greb would say to Dempsey when are you going to fight me you bum. Pretty harsh words.
              Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
                Pretty amazing how well Greb dealt with bigger men. And it is indeed true that the Heavyweights Greb would defeat would go on to challage Dempsey.

After reading all the newspaper reports of there sparring sessions. There is no douting Greb had the upper hand. Dempsey coundt seem to handle Greb's swarming elusive style.

Do not a huge puncher, in one of the sessions Greb also split Dempsey's cheekbone. But there was a moment in one of the sparring sessions were Dempsey hit Greb with accurate body shot that lifted Greb of his feet, but Greb grined through it.

Before the sparring sessions Greb had hoped that sparring Dempsey would lead to a good relationship with him, and this relationship would better his chances of landing a fight, but after seeing just how good Greb was in sparring Dempsey went even more off the idea of the two ever having a showdown.

Also a interesting note is that Dempsey asked Greb to help him prepare for the first Tunney fight, but Greb declined the offer due to the fact that Greb knew Tunney would lick him.

I always felt Greb was never fond of Dempsey at times, and it is belived Greb would say to Dempsey when are you going to fight me you bum. Pretty harsh words.
                Like I said before I always take sparring sessions with a pinch of salt. Ali was not the best at sparring and if you counted his sparring sessions as read you would probably have 20 fighters beating him.
                Greb was a great great fighter but IMO Dempsey at HW would be too much for him.

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
                  canto, hagler, perez and zarate shound be on there. and alexis is far to high. monzon was better than all of them. but yet isnt there.

and pep is to low.

AND WERE THE HELL IS HARRY GREB?

Peoples lists are a personal thing if ours were all the same we wouldn't have much to talk about would we?
                  Pep would be higher on my list and Greb would be in it but thats my list not yours or Poets.

Comment

Yes & No...Or is there a middle answer..

Comment

Poet
                      oooo way too harsh Poet.
                      I would have Duran and Arguello above Monzon too but Monzon is a great fighter. He ain't a pretty fighter but he is a great fighter.
                      Jab don't swing

Comment

Working...
                      X