No announcement yet.

Computer Tournament - The Middleweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
    GIBBONS CLEVERLY OUTPOINTS DILLON; Fast Footwork Enables St. Paul Boxer to Gain Advantage in Six Rounds.

ST. PAUL, Minn., Nov. 10. -- Mike Gibbons of St. Paul outpointed Jack Dillon of Indianapolis in a ten-round no-decision contest here tonight. Gibbons led in six rounds. Three sessions went to Dillon, and the other

was even. At 3 P.M. today Gibbons weighed in at 153 1/3 and Dillon at 162 the latter one pound under the agreed weight.

Also read these

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...k+dillon&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...k+dillon&hl=en
    Also mate,... read the above opinion of Darcy towards Dillon...... you know the bit from one of his private letters home where he expressed a very derogatory remark about Dillon's chances of beating Darcy,..... Les would never have said that to a newspaper reporter, he was brought up strictly............... Just so we understand,.... are you claiming that Mike Gibbons was better than Darcy ???

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      Look, if I have to go through and make a direct comparison to all of their common opponents, and then I can show that while Gibbons had only some wins and some losses to the people that Les also fought, and Darcy wiped the floor with all of them,... Eddie McGoorty said Darcy would beat Not just Gibbons,.... but any and all MW's at the time,.. and same goes for others like Jimmy Clabby...... McGoorty and Clabby and a good number of Darcy's VICTIMS had also had Wins (or newspaper decisions),.... fact is Mike Gibbons is at the very same level as McGoorty, Smith, Clabby at the very least...... and that alone makes him a superstar, because Clabby and McGoorty certainly are in my opinion........... those fighters all said that Darcy was in another class,..... but Gibbons is in the Eddie McGoorty class...... maybe all-time greats..... they DO HAVE A CASE.... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Harry Greb.......... As I said, he is from after 1916,... a fighter on the way up but hadn't hit the big time............ I have not heard any contrary opinions about Les Darcy's dominance......... You cannot include as a comparison Gibbons career post_Darcy V Chip........ oh and there's another guy better than Al McCoy................................... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Maybe have a read through the Darcy Book thread, so you can form some picture in your mind about Darcy....... The real World champion 1915 - 17.
      With which common opponent you say Gibbons lost? Clabby?

Mcgoorty? He was actually dominated in his fights and also stopped once...Dillon whom Darcy did not face was beaten twice...How do you say Mcgoorty and Mike both were equal since Mike Gibbons defintely got the better of him...Since when has losing to a fighter makes you equal.

Mike was beaten by Jimmy Clabby in his second year as pro you hold that against him? Bob Whitelaw beat Darcy in his 4th year as pro.Fritz Holland beat him in his 5th year nd Jeff Smith beat him also.

Now Gibbons fought Smith and Mike got the better of him.

Read below.

MIKE GIBBONS TOO SKILLFUL FOR SMITH; St. Paul Boxer Wins by a Large Margin in Bout at the National Club.

Mike Gibbons, the St. Paul boxer, and Jeff Smith of Bayonne, N.J., entertained a capacity house last night at the National Sporting Club in a clever ten-round exhibition of boxing, in which the St. Paul favorite won by a comfortable margin. Gibbons weighed 152 pounds and his opponent scaled 152 1/2 pounds.

I don't think Les could have beat Dillon...Gibbons did it twice

As for McGoorty comments Sam langford thought any version of Jeffries will beat Jackson...we know what happened next.

Comment

Mcgoorty? He was actually dominated in his fights and also stopped once...Dillon whom Darcy did not face was beaten twice...How do you say Mcgoorty and Mike both were equal since Mike Gibbons defintely got the better of him...Since when has losing to a fighter makes you equal.

Mike was beaten by Jimmy Clabby in his second year as pro you hold that against him? Bob Whitelaw beat Darcy in his 4th year as pro.Fritz Holland beat him in his 5th year nd Jeff Smith beat him also.

Read below.

MIKE GIBBONS TOO SKILLFUL FOR SMITH; St. Paul Boxer Wins by a Large Margin in Bout at the National Club.

Mike Gibbons, the St. Paul boxer, and Jeff Smith of Bayonne, N.J., entertained a capacity house last night at the National Sporting Club in a clever ten-round exhibition of boxing, in which the St. Paul favorite won by a comfortable margin. Gibbons weighed 152 pounds and his opponent scaled 152 1/2 pounds.

As for McGoorty comments Sam langford thought any version of Jeffries will beat Jackson...we know what happened next.
        I think you a picking little bits but there is nothing like the full story,.... Clabby rated Darcy way ahead of Any middleweight he'd fought or seen.... As for Dillon I think Darcy Would have knocked Jack out in the middle rounds and he would have knocked Gibbons cold.... None of these guys compare to Darcy....... I see Y'll have to post a 1000 word post with a compilation of the entire facts. now you mention Bob Whitelaw,...... He was given a decision victory which half the observers thought was Darcy's fight,... hence the disturbance to the peace,... Read The descriptions from my posts on the two Whitelaw Darcy fights..... LES DARCY Was SEVENTEEN BLOODY YEARS OLD AND Had Busted hands in their first fight and probably won the last 5 rounds just like he did in the first fight with Holland. AND IN The second Whitelaw bout, Darcy, this time, with hands in perfect order he savagely destroyed Whitelaw in one of the great one-sided displays,..... he almost killed him...... Darcy had by then (six Months later), just turned eighteen,.... cannot you see how great that is ???....... I see that I'm going to have to set this out, point by point............................................. ........................................... -------------------------------- Also, I don't think you have anywhere near the real picture of Darcy,.. for gods sake he DIED, DEAD, DECEASED, TERMINATED at TWENTY ONE......... Don't you think he was going to fight Greb at some point,.... and I'm not convinced that Darcy wasn't capable of being on the same continent as harry Greb..... Take your time mate but try and look at it from This side of the Pacific................. And One more thing,... with all the very good fighters that have come from Australia and Darcy being head and shoulders above all of them............. You are almost saying that we are so weak a nation as to not even havw ONE SINGLE AUSTRALIAN In The TOP 100 ??????............ We must have fluked it at Fromelles, and Poziers, Kokoda, El Alamein, Tobruk and Long Tan and all those others,... seeing as though we are only third rate tough guys,,,,,,

Comment

I think you a picking little bits but there is nothing like the full story,.... Clabby rated Darcy way ahead of Any middleweight he'd fought or seen.... As for Dillon I think Darcy Would have knocked Jack out in the middle rounds and he would have knocked Gibbons cold.... None of these guys compare to Darcy....... I see Y'll have to post a 1000 word post with a compilation of the entire facts. now you mention Bob Whitelaw,...... He was given a decision victory which half the observers thought was Darcy's fight,... hence the disturbance to the peace,... Read The descriptions from my posts on the two Whitelaw Darcy fights..... LES DARCY Was SEVENTEEN BLOODY YEARS OLD AND Had Busted hands in their first fight and probably won the last 5 rounds just like he did in the first fight with Holland. AND IN The second Whitelaw bout, Darcy, this time, with hands in perfect order he savagely destroyed Whitelaw in one of the great one-sided displays,..... he almost killed him...... Darcy had by then (six Months later), just turned eighteen,.... cannot you see how great that is ???....... I see that I'm going to have to set this out, point by point............................................. ........................................... -------------------------------- Also, I don't think you have anywhere near the real picture of Darcy,.. for gods sake he DIED, DEAD, DECEASED, TERMINATED at TWENTY ONE......... Don't you think he was going to fight Greb at some point,.... and I'm not convinced that Darcy wasn't capable of being on the same continent as harry Greb..... Take your time mate but try and look at it from This side of the Pacific................. And One more thing,... with all the very good fighters that have come from Australia and Darcy being head and shoulders above all of them............. You are almost saying that we are so weak a nation as to not even havw ONE SINGLE AUSTRALIAN In The TOP 100 ??????............ We must have fluked it at Fromelles, and Poziers, Kokoda, El Alamein, Tobruk and Long Tan and all those others,... seeing as though we are only third rate tough guys,,,,,,
          What Clabby rated Darcy as is interesting, but factually I can give you 5 guys name who rated Gibbons highrer...It proves nothing.Milburn Saylor said Darcy was overrated and Gibbons will take him...again it doe snot prove anything.

I know every bit about Darcy and Gibbons...I doubt Darcy will KO Gibbons I saw him in action in his last fight...He looked brilliant. i think Gibbons out points him.

I pointed to Darcy's loss becuase you said Darcy destoyed everyone Gibbons faced...not true...Gibbons handled Smith better...a Darcy did Clabby better

Clabby fought Gibbons when he was very young...Same as you point with Darcy...so why do you pick on it...

Darcy dies young and he might have become greater than Gibbons eventually but from what I see of their resumes and success I have to rate gibbons higher...

I am not saying anything about Australia...Cool down...done take it that way.

Comment

Read below.

All this building up of Gibbons and Dillon as superior fighters to Darcy is post-modern-U.S.-revisionism............ Darcy's contemporaries went with Darcy as the Top MW of his time,(and maybe Invincible, and we know that Dillon and Gibbons weren't)...... Really, no fighter has ever been treated so shabbily as Darcy................ And any "slacker" references to Darcy are total BOOLSHEET

Comment

All this building up of Gibbons and Dillon as superior fighters to Darcy is post-modern-U.S.-revisionism............ Darcy's contemporaries went with Darcy as the Top MW of his time,(and maybe Invincible, and we know that Dillon and Gibbons weren't)...... Really, no fighter has ever been treated so shabbily as Darcy................ And any "slacker" references to Darcy are total BOOLSHEET
              "Darcy is post-modern-U.S.-revisionism"

1) You accuse the wrong person my friend...I am not from USA neither I live there

2) Many contemporaries thought Darcy was overrated...Not me

3)many contemporaries said Gibbon was better

4) I dont think Darcy was "slacker"

I think Gibbons was better...his resume proves it

Comment

What Clabby rated Darcy as is interesting, but factually I can give you 5 guys name who rated Gibbons highrer...It proves nothing.Milburn Saylor said Darcy was overrated and Gibbons will take him...again it doe snot prove anything.

I know every bit about Darcy and Gibbons...I doubt Darcy will KO Gibbons I saw him in action in his last fight...He looked brilliant. i think Gibbons out points him.

I pointed to Darcy's loss becuase you said Darcy destoyed everyone Gibbons faced...not true...Gibbons handled Smith better...a Darcy did Clabby better

Clabby fought Gibbons when he was very young...Same as you point with Darcy...so why do you pick on it...

Darcy dies young and he might have become greater than Gibbons eventually but from what I see of their resumes and success I have to rate gibbons higher...

I am not saying anything about Australia...Cool down...done take it that way.
                Every time I see Darcy being dropped off the radar has always peed off the Aussies... let me tell you this,...... there is a traditional resentment from us....... by the way I want you to produce the names and reports where anyone that HAD ACTUALLY SEEN DARCY FIGHT.. I am your mate,............................................. ......... but please don't bring up what that little bastard Abe Attell told the press about Darcy,......... Attell had NEVER EVER SEEN DARCY FROM A BAR OF SOAP, he was obviously paid to say that utter crap, and that money came from scumbag Australian traitors,.... who were hounded by fans until even the 60's when some few remained let me tell you............. I will find guys for you and I will build my case............. and Darcy said that Dillon was a "BUM"....... Les actually thought that he'd knock Dillon out in 2 or three rounds.......... anyway mate... please show me those statements....... only from those who had seen Darcy,.,... Langford, Kearns, Rickard, Burns, McGoorty................. LAST Point....... to get a proper picture though, we have to look at how the top 10 MW's of 1915-16, all went and I mean, Clabby, McGoorty, Klaus, Darcy, Gibbons, NOT Dillon (now a LHW), and another 5 to make it up..... the picture is complicated,........................ I'd love to see that footage of Gibbons,..... never heard of it,........ but seriously Les would have KO'd Gibbons............ you see, a punch that knocks a guy OUT,...... means everything that happened is null and void............ have you read the Book thread yet ????? .... if you haven't... you haven't read Swanwicks Case for Darcy........ there is nowhere near as many Darcy facts in any other Book................... of course if you have read the book... I hope you'll accept my apology.
                Last edited by McGoorty; 09-16-2011, 02:49 PM. Reason: a typo

Comment

1) You accuse the wrong person my friend...I am not from USA neither I live there ;- I didn't know where you are my friend, but the fact remains that boxing history from those days has been written by the Americans, so no matter where someone lives,... they are going to get the American version,.. at least here, we know other facts..... but even some here have the wool pulled over their eyes

2) Many contemporaries thought Darcy was overrated...Not me ;- Glad to hear some respect to a great fighter,.... but there was many bribes paid out by Darcy's smear campaigners in Australia,..... I don't think any of Darcy's American critics, had ever even seen Darcy. Abe Attell hadn't, so what the cheesecake was that IDIOT talking about..... His words were such crap that they must have come out of his Ars..........

3)many contemporaries said Gibbon was better _ As I have already said above........ please give me at least 5 that are not called Bat Masterson or Abe Bloody-two-tongue Attell,.... man I lost a lot of respect for Abe as a person after I came across his poison.

4) I dont think Darcy was "slacker" :- Not many people say that today,.... he was treated like turd,............ it was always a stinking lie.

I think Gibbons was better...his resume proves it Of course you realise, his resume after Darcy left for America and hounded to death................. Gibbons was much more fortunate to live,... Darcy never got that chance,...... his resume at time of death shows that Darcy in his prime never lost a fight...... by the way,... I'm sure we;ll find knockdowns and some knockouts in Mike Gibbons career........ NOBODY EVER KNOCKED DARCY DOWN EVEN WHEN HE HAD BEEN PUNCHED WITH MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION TO HIS BALLS, or when Hardwicke snapped two of Darcy's teeth off.... Never happened....... Gibbon's will never knock Darcy down in 100 rounds (5 fights), MUCH harder bangers tried and never even made his legs wobble once...... Gibbons however will certainly go down in a 20 round fight (Darcy didn't waste his time with 10 round NO-Decision-to-protect-big-name-Americans0from-having-lots-of-losses-therefore-we-protect-their-reputation-BOUT Garbage,... what is that crap ???..10 rounds ???)...... there's no way to outbox and dance away from Les for 20 rounds... that's the reality of 20 round fights.... and they are the true championship distance...... no I just cannot see a smaller guy with much less reach (as far as I know),.... beating Les Darcy............ And as Darcy said,... he couldn't believe how anybody gave Dillon a chance of beating him........ a BUM..... Les said that. and he saw Dillon.
                  Read the Red stuff above mate.

Comment

1) You accuse the wrong person my friend...I am not from USA neither I live there

Gibbons knocked out McGoorty but Eddie was old man.

Comment

How do you explain Mike's loss to Lightweight Packey McFarland...... I love McFarland and he certainly was a greater fighter,... but a Lightweight ??....... he was twenty years old when he lost to Clabby (Mike must have been in fair comapny just to be there with Clabby), Darcy was only seventeen and had fought only one overseas fighter.. admittedly Mike had only about 15 fights into his career (Clabby),..... But his Newspaper decision against a Greb with just 14 fights to his name and younger than Mike,..... sort of makes that about equal. -------- why can't he stop Gus Christie who Darcy ate alive ??.... obviously Mike wasn't the puncher that Darcy was.------------------------------------------------ He loses to a nobody named Jack Denning he's about 26 yo now................................... I don't see how he is totally dominating Smith,,,, no KO in their first fight..... he then has his first McGoorty bout,,... AND LOSES ( now recall Darcy's total knockouts over him !!!!)...and Loses to JACK MCCALLUM ???????.. who's he ????...... by this time he is a veteran, at this time Les is 16 and a LW,..... who is beating grown men who are all hardened ring veterans..... they are both way too good for Young Ahearn....... ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Oh he beats the pretender Al McCoy,.... but of course who didn't beat that bum. and there are so many nobodies here it's ridiculous, why is a top fighter fighting all those bums, when he's already mixed it with legends---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- George KO Brown, what a fighter...... Darcy and Gibbons can't knock him out. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Beats McGoorty and Clabby, but only by newspaper decision...... bit he can't stop McGoorty.... again... I'll say this for MIKE........ I find out he had a GREAT Chin too...... McGoorty knocks anybody out if they don't have an iron chin. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WTF !!!!!!! Who is Soldier Bartfield...... I have no idea,..... but HE BEATS GIBBONS. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ted Kid Lewis was a WW,.... no big deal,................ Now in actual fact Darcy was way better than Jeff Smith, maybe The dirtiest fighter ever,...... Smith looked for the easy way out,.... he only won a single round against Darcy..... he needs to cheat and steal a victory by a DQ........ In The second fight Smith took a terrible beating from Darcy, and this time fouled Darcy just so he didn't get knocked out........ But can Mike Gibbons bash the crap out of him..... No Smith goes the distance many times with Mike...... instead of two cowardly effort in two fights that kasted on 7 rounds in total....... Did you know that Smith was kicked out of Australia in disgrace,... and he never received a cent for the two round hiding that Smith took from Darcy because he was a disgrace. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Now he fights Chip three times with two newspaper decisions and a draw...... Couldn't knock Chip out in 3 fights...... Darcy won every single one of the nine rounds and KNOCKED CHIP OUT COLD WITH ONE PUNCH IN THE 9th................................... His resume better than Darcy ..... THAT'S A BIG statement....................... I just can't see it..... He is barely better than Chip..... ------------------------------------------- Les Darcy showed that Chip was NOWHERE in the ballpark......... As you can see I have been doing some research....... I haven't come across any statistics showing how many times that Mike may have been knocked down over his career,.... but in truth it seems as though Darcy faced the far bigger puncher in Harold Hardwicke (who was somewhat of an all round sportsman,.. around Olympic class swimmer as well)............ I'll give you this for Gibbons............. he may have a chin near Darcy's class, but Darcy's record as a big hitter shows he was far more powerful than Mike....... that shows up with my above facts........ It seems to me that Mike Gibbons would find 20 rounds against Darcy a long time to avoid Les's power........ Gibbons never fought a Banger who hit like Darcy,......... I don't see that guy on Gibbons record... -------------------------- I'm so glad I didn't do 1000 words, but I think I have an even stronger case now. Of course I recognise your right to your opinion..... And please find that fight film of Mike Gibbons for me if you can........ The only way I will ever change my opinion here would be to see Mike in action and be totally blown away and say out loud "WTF !!!!!!,,,,,, JC all mighty,.... is this the white Robinson ???....... how the **** can ANYONE BEAT THIS GUY,....... IS HE THE GREATEST OR WHAT..... OMFG... poor Les would be knocked out in 10 seconds OMFG"............ You know what I mean... he would have to be TOP 10 MW of all time.... because I have Darcy there,.. I'm just not exactly where....... But we can almost compare them directly... similar conditions and a fair number of common opponents........ Darcy proved he was superior to every opponent he ever fought..... he really lost on two decisions,... which were very close and very disputed...... and he was eighteen years old by the time he was robbed in the Smith fight. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not one opponent, did not Darcy destroy,.... he avenged all losses with stoppages.................................... He was much better than anybody he ever fought.

Comment

Working...
                      X