Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Bert Sugar still say Willie Pep won around without throwing a punch???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Bert Sugar still say Willie Pep won around without throwing a punch???

Bert says this 100% true. pep won around without throwing a punch. but boxrec says this is not true

Pep "combined a punch with his much vaunted boxing ability to knock out Graves." Graves was floored 9 times. Pep was down twice in 6th. Graves broke left hand in round 2. Falsely reported for years as match where Pep won 3rd round without throwing a punch. This story was officially debunked in 2003
    so why would he keep saying it, and is there a chance it is true? as i belive ring magazine also claimed it was true!

discuss!

Originally posted by winky44 View Post
    Bert says this 100% true. pep won around without throwing a punch. but boxrec says this is not true

so why would he keep saying it, and is there a chance it is true? as i belive ring magazine also claimed it was true!

discuss!

Because **** like that keeps people reading.

Wish I had thought to ask Willie about the Graves fight when I met him. He didn't seen interested in talking boxing though and instead joked with me and my friends and asked us about ourselves.

Comment

It was supposedly an action-packed fight according to the newspaper reports and Jackie Graves himself said this to be true.

Bert Sugar has either never been told the truth or he simply doesn't care. It's not the only story he keeps telling that has been proven a myth.

Comment

Bert relies on too much schtick.

He could only dream of being as great as the late Jack Newfield.

Comment

Cos he's got that big turd hanging out of his mouth...

Comment

'Willie, if you could win a round without landing a punch, why didn't you do that for the entire fight? You could've won going away, without beating the hell out of me!'"
            --Jackie Graves

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3522638

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey Roll View Post
              'Willie, if you could win a round without landing a punch, why didn't you do that for the entire fight? You could've won going away, without beating the hell out of me!'"
              --Jackie Graves

lol... Great quote!

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey Roll View Post
                --Jackie Graves

I guess this explains it:

"I give Willie Pep the benefit of the doubt," said Bert Sugar, suggesting that a legend can be as fragile as the language that preserves it.

"Instead of saying Pep won a round without throwing a punch, say he won a round without landing one. There's a difference," Sugar said. "Besides, sports writers in those days wrote whatever the hell they wanted."

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  I guess this explains it:

"I give Willie Pep the benefit of the doubt," said Bert Sugar, suggesting that a legend can be as fragile as the language that preserves it.

"Instead of saying Pep won a round without throwing a punch, say he won a round without landing one. There's a difference," Sugar said. "Besides, sports writers in those days wrote whatever the hell they wanted."
                  so is he admitting he was wrong???

Comment

Don't think Bert has ever let facts get in the way of a good story

Comment

Working...
                    X