Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Evander Holyfield do in the 60's-70's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patterson got inside Liston's jab too.

Obviously, Holyfield has proven himself to be a more durable fighter than Floyd but he got busted up pretty good by Bowe on the inside and Liston has just as many short range weapons with equal or perhaps even more power. Holyfield could stick and move effectively against the older Foreman and a less motivated Bowe but I doubt he would be consistent enough to frustrate Liston all night with his feet.
    Last edited by Thunder Lips; 05-30-2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Lips View Post
      Patterson got inside Liston's jab too.

Obviously, Holyfield has proven himself to be a more durable fighter than Floyd but he got busted up pretty good by Bowe on the inside and Liston has just as many short range weapons with equal or perhaps even more power. Holyfield could stick and move effectively against the older Foreman and a less motivated Bowe but I doubt he would be consistent enough to frustrate Liston all night with his feet.
      Hmm, I'm not too sure about that. For a big guy Bowe was one of the best inside fighters I've seen. I think he had slightly better inside skills and a greater short range arsenal than Liston.

However, all of these fights would be stunning. I think Frazier/Holyfield would have been one of the greatest wars in HW history. I give the edge to Frazier as I don't think Holyfield would be able to box to take enough rounds for him to win and the majority of the fight would be a long, brutal inside war. Would have loved to have seen that one more than any other.

I think he would still do very well against the others though. He had very good speed and skills and could use them to great effect against everyone. I think Ali would beat him in a good boxing match.
      Last edited by BennyST; 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

hollyfield dont have a chance in the 70 - 60 at hevyweigh foreman ali fraizer liston bonabena moore destroyed him. at hevy he wins tyson not prime and bowe

Comment

Liston going to work on Cleveland Williams from the second round onwards:

I wouldn't pick many to beat Liston in this type of a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            Liston going to work on Cleveland Williams from the second round onwards:

I wouldn't pick many to beat Liston in this type of a fight.
            This is probably very similar to how their fight would look as well. Holyfield working from the outside and then fighting in spurts on the inside. This would be an amazing fight also, but I think I would agree that Liston (the good version anyway) would beat Holyfield.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              He'd beat Liston and Frazier, lose to the other 2.

Liston had really long arms and if you were strong enough to get inside like Holyfield would be, Liston couldn't get off or use his jab.

Frazier Holyfield would be war, I just give the slight edge to Holyfield.
              Have to agree with you.. Top ten's fairly accurate to..

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
                Liston only really ever struggled with tricky movers, as well as his pistol left jab, he could work very well on the inside. You say because if you could get on the inside, Liston cound't use his jab like this was his only weapon he had, bogus.

Liston's hooks especailly the left one were devastaing, and he could use them fighting inside to the body and head. Aswell as fighting on the outside.

Liston also had pretty sound defensive skills.
                Yes, but, Holyfield is better than Liston on the inside, bar non. He wasn't too quick either. I just see Holyfield ripping off some really big combinations. Liston only pounded on Patterson because Patterson was like a small child in terms of strength comparison. Holyfield was strong as a bull for his size, even against the 90's Foreman his re cooperation and strength looked incredible.
                Last edited by them_apples; 06-03-2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                  Yes, but, Holyfield is better than Liston on the inside, bar non. He wasn't too quick either. I just see Holyfield ripping off some really big combinations. Liston only pounded on Patterson because Patterson was like a small child in terms of strength comparison. Holyfield was strong as a bull for his size, even against the 90's Foreman his re cooperation and strength looked incredible.
                  But you just totally dismissed Liston's work on the inside like it was non exsitance. When this isnt true as Liston could work on the inside rather well, and could throw powerfull hooks to the body and head.

And you say Liston only pounded on Patterson due to his lack of strength, but Liston also worked well on the inside against the 6''3 Cleveland Williams aswell as others. Liston may not have been as good as Hoylfield was fighting in the inside, but in his own right he was no mug.

And you say Holyfield was strong as a bull, but Liston was a very strong natrual Heavyweight himself, who rarely took a backfoot to no one and I don't think he would start with Holyfield, especailly if Dwight Muhhamad Qawi can stand up to Holyfield and back him up, as I feel Liston is stronger than the 190 Qawi.

Ray Mearcer and Bert Cooper also had spells of success on the inside, and both werent as strong or as well rounded on the inside than Liston.

So belive me Holyfield wound't have it all his own way with Liston on the inside.

Comment

I don't think Holyfield stands much of a chance if he goes to war against a prime Sonny Liston. The best strategy he could use is the one he used against Foreman, going in and out and doing less of the brawling which made him an exciting fighter but also made some fights much harder for him than they could have been.

I feel that Holyfield was much better at counter punching than he was at brawling/inside fighting, Bowe and others landed on him almost at will whenever he chose to stand and trade.

The third fight against Bowe was really silly on his part, then again he seemed to be in terrible shape for that one.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-04-2009, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Infern0 View Post
                      I was wondering, how would he go against Liston, ali, foreman and frazier, what do you think guys.
                      He beats post-Patterson Liston. Toss up fight between Foreman (who did well in his old age against Holyfield due to intelligence he didn't have in his youth). He beats Frazier. Him vs Ali would be a sight to see. What Jimmy Young did to Ali parallels what Chris Byrd did to Holyfield. Difference being Young was robbed, and Holyfield actually gave a great account of himself against Byrd down the stretch.

Comment

Working...
                      X