No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong vs Billy Conn Middleweight bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    All except Zivic and Risko who were on par or close to par with Garcia.

How can you argue if you don't know the fighters these men have faced?
    How can you just say i dont know who they have faced? i can give you a list of fighters they have faced

Comment

I agree with the others here, I think Conn would have been too big and too long for Armstrong, he also had the movement and speed to keep Armstrong off him, Armstrong was the better fighter pound for pound but it doesn't mean he can beat everybody in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        I agree with the others here, I think Conn would have been too big and too long for Armstrong, he also had the movement and speed to keep Armstrong off him, Armstrong was the better fighter pound for pound but it doesn't mean he can beat everybody in real life.
        Yes we know he cant beat every one smart ass but he would of had a good chance against a middleweight conn

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
          How can you just say i dont know who they have faced? i can give you a list of fighters they have faced
          When you have to ask if "are the fighters he faced a class above Garcia", it leads me to believe you don't know what you are talking about. If Im wrong, so be it. But so far there is no indication I am wrong. And just showing a list from boxrec doesn't mean you know anything about these fighters. Theres a little more to it than that, my man.

Comment

Yes we know he cant beat every one smart ass but he would of had a good chance against a middleweight conn
            So far everybody that has chimed in on this thread has said why they believe Conn would win this match up. You haven't shown one reason you believe Armstrong would win. You just keep repeating that he would have a "good cance against a mddeweight Conn." What exactly are his advantages?

Comment

Ceferino Garcia was a good fighter but he was basically a light middleweight. He fought as a welterweight also but he seemed to be more effective at around 154 lbs as seen against Armstrong. Garcia did much better in the rematch and it was tougher for Armstrong to push him around.

Based on the Garcia fight I'd say that it would be tough for Armstrong to beat any great middleweights. He never weighed more than 140 and his best weight was 130-135. Garcia outweighed him by about 12 lbs, Conn would be outweighing him by about 20.

Comment

When you have to ask if "are the fighters he faced a class above Garcia", it leads me to believe you don't know what you are talking about. If Im wrong, so be it. But so far there is no indication I am wrong. And just showing a list from boxrec doesn't mean you know anything about these fighters. Theres a little more to it than that, my man.
                Well seen as it very hard to get footage of such fighters as young corbet III and other middleweights conn faced, i have read alot about them mainly in the book sweet william, and checked out there records and they were not as good as garcia. So dont give me all tha bull**** i dont know what am talking about.

Comment

Your letting billys weight get in the way to much, and i read an biography on armstrong the guy would push lightheavies and heavyweights back in sparring, in his prime he was a freak of nature, in the book there is a story when henry is geting ready to fight gacia for the title, a guy in the gym jokes and says at this rate hank the way your collecting belts you could be fighting joe louis soon, hank turns round and said i would fight joe louis right now! thats the type of fighter armstrong was! he was a different type of animal
                  I doubt Armstrong ever seriously contemplated facing Louis. The fight would never have been sanctioned, even back then.

The great big man invariably beats the great little man. Conn was not just any old middle/light-heavy, but a swift, tough and talented boxer who was unbeaten as light-heavy champ and capable of beating top heavyweight contenders. I don't see any way Armstrong could beat him.

Comment

Well seen as it very hard to get footage of such fighters as young corbet III and other middleweights conn faced, i have read alot about them mainly in the book sweet william, and checked out there records and they were not as good as garcia. So dont give me all tha bull**** i dont know what am talking about.
                    So far you don't know ****, and you still haven't given any reasons why Armstrong would beat Conn.

Now, on to Corbett III and Garcia. Funny how Corbett has better wins at middleweight, isn't it? Im talking Conn, Lesnivich and Apostoli. Whereas Garcia's biggest win are Apostoli and a very young Lloyd Marshall. did I mention Corbett twice beat Garcia at welterweight?

Still wanna play in the deep end of the pool?

Comment

So far you don't know ****, and you still haven't given any reasons why Armstrong would beat Conn.

Now, on to Corbett III and Garcia. Funny how Corbett has better wins at middleweight, isn't it? Im talking Conn, Lesnivich and Apostoli. Whereas Garcia's biggest win are Apostoli and a very young Lloyd Marshall. did I mention Corbett twice beat Garcia at welterweight?

Still wanna play in the deep end of the pool?
                      boxing math means nothink, garcia was champion something corbet and apostoli wasnt, armstrong wouldnt let conn get in to his rythm he would be in billy's face all night long and speaking of deep water thats were armstrong would take conn, billy would never of faced anything like hank.

Comment

Working...
                      X