Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muhammad Ali saying Jack Dempsey is a joke yet Marciano would be a threat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
    I thought Ali looked quite uninspiring against Cooper the second time. Cooper didn't have much going but neither did Ali. Cooper would have probably lasted a lot longer if not for his tendency to cut.

It's just not reasonable to expect Ali to "kill" Dempsey and Marciano. He wasn't much of a "killer" in the ring.
    It was my only time I saw Ali live and was disappointed not to see him at his best,though I was cheering on my countryman of course. If there is a film out there try and catch the groan it must be audible, mine alone

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
      Ali actually weighed 200 lbs for the rematch against Cooper.
      I would say certainly at his peak but on that night I would have been interested to seeDempsey or Marciano against him. I think hewould have been given a lot more problems by either.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        It was my only time I saw Ali live and was disappointed not to see him at his best,though I was cheering on my countryman of course. If there is a film out there try and catch the groan it must be audible, mine alone

Unfortunately the Korean commentators are talking over it.

Cooper said that he actually put weights in his pockets for the weigh-in to make himself appear heavier since he believed he was under the light heavyweight limit of 175 lbs.

Decent effort by Cooper although the fight was not nearly as dramatic as their first meeting.

Comment

I think that Dempsey would give Ali more trouble than Marciano because of his speed and height but Ali would still win.

Comment

Like most people he had probably only seen Dempsey-Willard, where after the knockdown Dempsey was just winging punches to finish him off in a very wild fashion, contributing to his low assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by -Blackout- View Post
              In the first clip Ali speaks about Jack Dempsey, making fun of the old school brawler type of fighting saying he would beat that guy up

In this next clip Ali on the other hand says a little brawler like Rocky Marciano would be the most trouble because he was a brawler and you could never predict where the punches came from..

Ali contradict himself.. What's your take on it? Is Dempsey and Marciano a threat? Is Marciano a bigger threat than Dempsey to Ali? Ali did have trouble fighting a rough slugger/hookmaster like Frazier is it fair to compare him to Marciano and Dempsey..?
              did he say that after Rocky died? because I recall him saying he would have wooped Rocky as well. Then changing his tune after Rocky died.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                I was at the 2nd Ali Cooper fight, Henry didn't really give him too much trouble that time. My biggest memory was when Ali cut Cooper 50,000 groaning as one. Cooper certainly caught him in the 1st tho. Chuvalo not to split hairs fought Ali either side of the ban I believe, think he was the only fighter to do so.
                Agree re Dempsey and Marciano,think a lot of people don't seem to get(in the short time I have been here)is that these old timers were great fighters. They were used to adapting and overcoming problems.I think that Ali would have had to much for them both but I could certainly see Dempsey winning 1 out of 10 for sure and Marciano 2/3 out of 10.
                Throw in Patterson.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                  Like most people he had probably only seen Dempsey-Willard, where after the knockdown Dempsey was just winging punches to finish him off in a very wild fashion, contributing to his low assessment.
                  Yeah, it's similar to the morons who claim Ray Robinson had no defense when the only footage they've seem of him is the last round of the second Turpin fight when he's going all out for a KO.

Poet

Comment

Because Marciano really was that great. ****** haters will not admit it but here even one of the greatest Heavyweights of all time acknowledged Rocky, because you can only truly understand his greatness if you've been in the ring yourself. Ali, Foreman, Frazier etc rate the Rock very highly.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                      Throw in Patterson.
                      Your quite right

Comment

Working...
                      X