No announcement yet.

The king of middleweight division!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phallus View Post
    i think Harry Greb beats Robinson, Greb's swarming attack was made to destroy a pure boxer like Robinson
    They had nothing like Robinson in Grebs time, they had never seen a pure boxer as Robinson was. Back then it was essentially crude brawling. Robinson re-wrote the book on how to box, he did it all well.

I would take Robinson over Greb........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      They had nothing like Robinson in Grebs time, they had never seen a pure boxer as Robinson was. Back then it was essentially crude brawling. Robinson re-wrote the book on how to box, he did it all well.

Robinson was a 'pure' boxer ?, what's your definition of a pure boxer Rockin ?, seems to change a lot between people

If anything Gene Tunney was a more 'pure' boxer then Robinson, in the sense of jab and move, hit and not be hit etc.

Edit: I must of skipped over the crude brawling comment, there were plenty of great boxers back then and I'm pretty shocked to see you write that Rockin, just to name a few of the first that come to mind Benny Leonard, Panama Al Brown, Tommy Loughran, Gene Tunney, hardly boxers you would associate with 'crude brawling'.
      Last edited by NChristo; 07-29-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Gotta disagree with this my man. Both Loughran and Tunney were seen as masterful boxers still to this day with others who were able to compete nicely against them with their own skills even if not as smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Gotta disagree with this my man. Both Loughran and Tunney were seen as masterful boxers still to this day with others who were able to compete nicely against them with their own skills even if not as smooth.
          Beat me to it, Loughran you want to watch to music. Ringcraft per se I'd rank Loughran over SRR (bold statement I know) boxer with biggest armoury of punches then Robinson over anyone but pure boxer is a different question.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            Beat me to it, Loughran you want to watch to music. Ringcraft per se I'd rank Loughran over SRR (bold statement I know) boxer with biggest armoury of punches then Robinson over anyone but pure boxer is a different question.
            What would you describe as a pure boxer G ?.

Comment

Harry Greb & Ray Robinson are my choices for the top 160 lbers of all time. I go back & forth on them.....

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                What would you describe as a pure boxer G ?.
                Still waiting to see him
                I guess good movement the full range of skills the full range of punches, ringcraft,it's kind of hard to quantify whilst Louis was pretty much the full package re punches I'd put Walcott for example above him as a pure boxer. Loughran you have to take into account virtually fought one handed. You couldn't say Robinson wasn't cute (remember he is my No.1 atg) but Pep could pat him on his backside as he passed if they fought. To call Duran purely a slugger is to miss so much, his defence and ring nous were first class he'd be pretty near pure. Difficult, it's like trying to quantify beauty on a woman.

Comment

Still waiting to see him
                  I guess good movement the full range of skills the full range of punches, ringcraft,it's kind of hard to quantify whilst Louis was pretty much the full package re punches I'd put Walcott for example above him as a pure boxer. Loughran you have to take into account virtually fought one handed. You couldn't say Robinson wasn't cute (remember he is my No.1 atg) but Pep could pat him on his backside as he passed if they fought. To call Duran purely a slugger is to miss so much, his defence and ring nous were first class he'd be pretty near pure. Difficult, it's like trying to quantify beauty on a woman.
                  Just curious that's all, I see a lot of people just classifying Counter Punchers as pure boxers, others doing it with crafty ones like Jersey Joe, Hopkins, Charles etc, others with defensive masterminds etc etc.

Doesn't seem to be a set type for the Pure Boxer nor a example for someone to lead, seem to get thrown around an awful lot without 2 people agreeing on what it actually is .

On your previous post I would probably swap it around and say Robinson had Loughran on Ring craft and Loughran had him on the 'pure boxer' side of things. Could see swapping it around though.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    On your previous post I would probably swap it around and say Robinson had Loughran on Ring craft and Loughran had him on the 'pure boxer' side of things. Could see swapping it around though.
                    You may be right my friend but let me throw this in: Loughran used to manoeuvre his opponent to his corner towards the end of the round so he could sit straight down as the bell went To me that puts the craft(y) into ring craft!

Comment

It's hard to say, Loughran was very good and as a LHW he'd have an advantage but gee, it's hard to argue. They were both ring generals, so was Packey McFarland, just one loss in over a hundred fights was a classic Boxer/Puncher, a LW that regularly beat WW's and MW's, including Mike Gibbons. McFarland rarely gets a mention, he looks brilliant against Freddie Welsh. Packy and Welshy had 3 fights with Packey winning 1 and 2 draws, a great fighter, the best LW between Gans and Leonard and arguably as good at least in resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X