No announcement yet.

Earnie Shaver's Potential

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Noodle View Post
    I remember reading in the book "Facing Ali" that Shaver's trainers didn't really improve his boxing skills and focus mainly on his punching. "Because I could punch so hard, all the trainers wanted me to do was improve on my punchnig, not my boxing skills."

Do you guys think he could crack the top 20 or even top 10 HW of all time if he had a better trainer?
    If Earnie Shavers had been trained by an Eddie Futch, who could have taught him how to cover up in a crouch like position ala Joe Frazier, he would have had a better chance at being an elite heavyweight during his prime. Unfortunately, he was one dimensional.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
      If Earnie Shavers had been trained by an Eddie Futch, who could have taught him how to cover up in a crouch like position ala Joe Frazier, he would have had a better chance at being an elite heavyweight during his prime. Unfortunately, he was one dimensional.
      He was trained by Archie Moore for a while, before his fight against Jimmy Ellis.

Shavers said that Moore taught him how and where to punch, making his punches even more devastating. He said he lost his confidence when Don King fired Moore and hired some other trainer, who didn't improve on his technique.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        He was trained by Archie Moore for a while, before his fight against Jimmy Ellis.

Shavers said that Moore taught him how and where to punch, making his punches even more devastating. He said he lost his confidence when Don King fired Moore and hired some other trainer, who didn't improve on his technique.
        Thank you for enlightening me on his being trained by Moore. Did Moore teach him the same stance that he and Foreman used? That stance would have helped him greatly later in his career. One problem earnie had was that he fought in an era that had so many great heavyweights that it would have been nearly impossible to win the title. That being said, a better defense could have gotten him the win against Ali back in 77.

Every time you provide analysis, it is very precise and well stated.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
          Thank you for enlightening me on his being trained by Moore. Did Moore teach him the same stance that he and Foreman used? That stance would have helped him greatly later in his career. One problem earnie had was that he fought in an era that had so many great heavyweights that it would have been nearly impossible to win the title. That being said, a better defense could have gotten him the win against Ali back in 77.

Every time you provide analysis, it is very precise and well stated.
          He did teach him the cross-arm defense, which Shavers used when he was in trouble. The problem was that Shavers would simply freeze up and cross his arms unlike Moore who would slip punches and counter.

To be fair to Shavers, the man almost won the title twice even with all his limitations. He nearly had Ali out in the 2nd round and lost a competitive decision, and had Holmes all but KO'd with the right hand he landed. Holmes' recovery was miraculous.
          Last edited by TheGreatA; 08-02-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            He did teach him the cross-arm defense, which Shavers used when he was in trouble. The problem was that Shavers would simply freeze up and cross his arms unlike Moore who would slip punches and counter.

To be fair to Shavers, the man almost won the title twice even with all his limitations. He nearly had Ali out in the 2nd round and lost a competitive decision, and had Holmes all but KO'd with the right hand he landed. Holmes' recovery was miraculous.
            When Holmes went down It was as though he had gotten shot. What helped him recover was the amount of punishment he gave Shavers that night. Shavers couldn't finish him off because he had taken such a beaten. Also, Holmes had tremendous heart.

Shavers faded down the stretch against Ali. In the 15th round, Shavers was saved by the bell as Ali had him in severe trouble. Shavers fought the best fight of his life that night and garnered a lot of respect from Ali. It also got him an elimination fight the following spring against Holmes. Unfornately, Holmes shut him out over 12 rounds.

Comment

Working...
            X