No announcement yet.

Michael Spinks vs. Bob Foster at LHW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
    Third greatest 175 pounder (foster) vs the fourth greatest 175 pounder. Foster has some difficulty at first, but rallies down the stretch to win a close but unanimous decision
    You have Spinks as FOURTH?!?

Comment

This poll is obviously filled with people who never saw Foster fight, but casting a vote anyway. Old timer bias is always evident in these polls.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        Foster moving forward dragging his right leg while jabbing would not be effective against the Herky-Jerky style of Spinks.. Both carried dynamite in their right-hands but i see Spinks in the late rounds finding the openings and KOing Foster... Foster failed by KO everytime he moved up and fought the bigger guys yet Spinks was awesome against the big guys, (Holmes & Cooney)
        Foster beat 16 heavyweights,most by ko.
        mrbig1 mrbig1 Slugfester Slugfester like this.

Comment

Spinks moved up better. Foster faltered when he got to the top big boys, Frazier and Ali, Spinks didn't, Holmes and Cooney.

Comment

It must be a foregone conclusion that they are capable of hurting each other badly. Spinks fought a graybeard Holmes and probably didn't beat him anyway. I will watch it again. Foster's heavyweights were not only better but closer to prime or best anyway. Doesn't mean who wins though.

We would all sell our houses to watch this one. Would it live up or disappoint us? Would we get our money's worth for pure entertainment, or just the knowledge of who wins?
            Last edited by Slugfester; 12-01-2023, 02:52 AM.
            Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
              It must be a foregone conclusion that they are capable of hurting each other badly. Spinks fought a graybeard Holmes and probably didn't beat him anyway. I will watch it again. Foster's heavyweights were not only better but closer to prime or best anyway. Doesn't mean who wins though.

We would all sell our houses to watch this one. Would it live up or disappoint us? Would we get our money's worth for pure entertainment, or just the knowledge of who wins?
              Now Slugdrunk, I just re-watched that fight because of your bull, and Spinks won even though he threw a lot of stuff in rushes that was not landing but kept Holmes so busy he couldn't do anything either. One or two usually landed.

In the meantime Holmes proved he was not the smart fighter and ring general he is often given too much credit for. Being a ring general does not eat up stamina. He didn't know how to use his weight advantage either and could only stick to what he knows. At 36 he couldn't do his hippo dance in imitation of Ali anymore, but he didn't exploit his other choices. Part of it was age, but part of it also was failing the use of proper tools. His pursuit of Spinks was way too slow. A younger Holmes would not have much trouble with Spinks, and probably would have won by KO.

In the meantime Spinks showed great head movement, every awkward move in the book and, mid rounds, stayed just in range with head movement so he could punch back. In rounds 1 and 2 he did nothing. Spinks still won, you slugdrunk. After he got tired he often did the Walcott walkaway. Holmes would have to lazily find his way back to him, wasting time but not energy.

Spinks looks so awkward that I think it convinces opponents he is tired and will soon go out, a little prematurely. I am sure Holmes thought he was getting tired and would become an easy target in time to be KOd.

I think Holmes had already made his Marciano statement, so was completely gracious after the fight. I don't remember exactly when he said it.
              Last edited by Slugfester; 12-01-2023, 02:55 AM.

Comment

For what it is worth.

I thought Spinks won the first fight and Holmes the title back in the second fight. But not so.

Spinks' awkward style would prove difficult for Foster whose style can be described as classical.

I wonder how often 1940-1970 fighters found themselves dealing with awkward fighters? I suspect not too often. The classical style was dictated by convention. Even Clay was considered for the day, radical.

Back then the fight game, the fans, the promoters shided away from awkward looking fighters which makes meI wonder how difficult Spinks's style would be for Foster.

BTW I think at a 175 (LHW) title fight, advantage Foster.

As a catch weight fight with both at their best, advantage Spinks.

DooGee#33 DooGee#33 likes this.

Comment

Good points. Most of Spinks's weird head movement is to his right, into the path of Foster's left hook, if Foster can time it. But Spinks is really hard to time with all that weirdness of movement.This fight would rank on the interest scale right there with Hagler/Monzon for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
                    This poll is obviously filled with people who never saw Foster fight, but casting a vote anyway. Old timer bias is always evident in these polls.
                    - - U a confessed ol' timer is it?
                    Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                      Spinks moved up better. Foster faltered when he got to the top big boys, Frazier and Ali, Spinks didn't, Holmes and Cooney.
                      --- Foster a deadly LH faltered also against lessor heavies. A great LH, but clearly Spinks had something extra besides chin to move up the chain.
                      Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X