No announcement yet.

George Dixon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    He's Canadian, he was the first black man and the first Canadian to hold a title, first African American would be Joe Gans.
    i was going to say black but i though African American was alittle more PC.

as far as semantics, canada is in north america.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
      Great thread jab..

Dixon was one of the pioneers of scientific boxing...many years after his retirement the man was often hailed as the pioneer of scientific boxing...One of the best little fighters of all time.

here are some excerpts from an article I read long ago..

"
      Dixon had many admirers in the white boxing community, and old-timers of later eras would fondly remember his career. In 1893 he wrote an autobiography, A Lesson in Boxing. But some of the same racial controversies that swirled around the career of heavyweight boxer Jack Johnson also plagued the high-living, sharp-dressing Dixon, who married the sister of his manager O'Rourke. After he knocked out Jack Skelly at the Olympia Club in New Orleans, Louisiana, on September 6, 1892, the club banned mixed-race bouts. His fight against "Torpedo" Billy Murphy on December 15, 1893, ended in a riot.

Still, some of Dixon's fights were considered classics. An example was Dixon's 25-round draw against Australia's Young Griffo on January 19, 1895. Those who attended the fight on Coney Island in New York, noted the Washington Post in 1915, "had the opportunity of witnessing an encounter between two boys who have certainly never been excelled, and probably never equaled, in the matter of ring science."

"
      On January 9, 1900, Dixon came out on the losing end of an eight-round knockout at the hands of "Terrible Terry" McGovern in New York. Although Dixon claimed that McGovern had not made weight for the fight, he lost again to McGovern later that year. Dixon fought Abe Attell for the featherweight title in 1901, but his long period of dominance was over. "Loose living," noted the Washington Post, "had made inroads on his constitution." The aging fighter toured England from late 1902 through 1905, hoping to stave off financial problems that had left him with little more in the way of assets than a home he owned in Boston; he was reported to have burned through winnings of more than $100,000. After a December 10, 1906, loss to a boxer named Monk the Newsboy, Dixon retired from the ring.

Hospitalized because of complications from alcoholism, Dixon died in New York on January 6, 1909"

He was also involved in a cool 70 rounds fight with Charles "Cal" McCarthy in 1890...yea 70 rounds.
      Good stuff, thanks bro!

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        John L sullivan....one of the biggest racists in boxing....

had had enough with drinking and had quit, in speaking out against drinking he befirended George Dixon. Dixon would go on to say that John L sullivan was the only man in puglisim that hadnt turned him down.

also it seems george dixion is not only the worlds first african american belt holder, but also the worlds first holder of multiple belts, and the worlds first boxer to lose and regain his title in the ring.
        While I'm not defending Sullivan or saying he wasn't racist, he was more a product of his time. I can't find it now, but I posted an article about Sullivan and Jack Johnson on the old AOL boards years ago. The gist of it was Sullivan was hired to cover the Johnson-Jeffries fight. Both him and Johnson detested one another and when it was time to interview neither would speak to the other. It was suggested they pass notes and soon they were both furiously scribbling insults to one another. After awhile both started laughing and soon became friendly.

I never found another story to corroborate that, but John L. Did have high praise for Johnson's ring ability. That said, my point as it seems to me is that Sullivan was willing to get to know a black man and give him a chance when earlier in life he wouldn't. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          While I'm not defending Sullivan or saying he wasn't racist, he was more a product of his time. I can't find it now, but I posted an article about Sullivan and Jack Johnson on the old AOL boards years ago. The gist of it was Sullivan was hired to cover the Johnson-Jeffries fight. Both him and Johnson detested one another and when it was time to interview neither would speak to the other. It was suggested they pass notes and soon they were both furiously scribbling insults to one another. After awhile both started laughing and soon became friendly.

I never found another story to corroborate that, but John L. Did have high praise for Johnson's ring ability. That said, my point as it seems to me is that Sullivan was willing to get to know a black man and give him a chance when earlier in life he wouldn't. Does that make sense?
          i disagree, i think its just that people didnt like jack johnson. Joe louis didnt have anything against black people, but he made sure johnson had nothing to do with his camp.

Comment

i disagree, i think its just that people didnt like jack johnson. Joe louis didnt have anything against black people, but he made sure johnson had nothing to do with his camp.

Johnson hated Louis, and trashed him every chance he had. Many people felt he was jealous of Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Johnson hated Louis, and trashed him every chance he had. Many people felt he was jealous of Louis.
              wasnt that due to louis turning down johnson as his coach?

like im sure johnson was jelous, but didnt johnson offer to train louis, and louis turned him down, thus the jelousy and hatred insueded due to being turned down.
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM.

Comment

wasnt that due to louis turning down johnson as his coach?

like im sure johnson was jelous, but didnt johnson offer to train louis, and louis turned him down, thus the jelousy and hatred insueded due to being turned down.
                The impression I got from reading Johnson's book was that he wanted to always be the greatest (and only) Black heavyweight champion. His ego was gigantic.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  I missed it bro. Feel free to repost it though, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested.
                  Sure,, I know I have it somewhere,, the film is of an older Dixon, but is surprisingly little damaged, and it does back up Greatest1942's claim about the scientific thing,, also you do get the sense that he was very very tough and packed decent power in both hands. it was mentioned earlier that his end was a sad one,, as indeed it was for most of those great little guys of that era like Griffo, Nelson, Wolgast and co,,, Griffo ended his days as a homeless drunk on the streets of New York far from his native Australia,,, Wolgast ended up in a mental asylum........... It went with the territory I suppose,, just think of the conditions they fought under (20 plus round fights and tiny gloves)....................... ....................... George Dixon was great,,,, in an era studded with great fighters from three continents, and in an era where Boxing was usually the only show in town,

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Yeah,, and you can see why I suppose,, Joe Louis woulda killed Jack,... it would have been short I think,, under 5 rounds would be my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                      Great thread jab..

Dixon was one of the pioneers of scientific boxing...many years after his retirement the man was often hailed as the pioneer of scientific boxing...One of the best little fighters of all time.

here are some excerpts from an article I read long ago..

"
                      Dixon had many admirers in the white boxing community, and old-timers of later eras would fondly remember his career. In 1893 he wrote an autobiography, A Lesson in Boxing. But some of the same racial controversies that swirled around the career of heavyweight boxer Jack Johnson also plagued the high-living, sharp-dressing Dixon, who married the sister of his manager O'Rourke. After he knocked out Jack Skelly at the Olympia Club in New Orleans, Louisiana, on September 6, 1892, the club banned mixed-race bouts. His fight against "Torpedo" Billy Murphy on December 15, 1893, ended in a riot.

Still, some of Dixon's fights were considered classics. An example was Dixon's 25-round draw against Australia's Young Griffo on January 19, 1895. Those who attended the fight on Coney Island in New York, noted the Washington Post in 1915, "had the opportunity of witnessing an encounter between two boys who have certainly never been excelled, and probably never equaled, in the matter of ring science."

"
                      On January 9, 1900, Dixon came out on the losing end of an eight-round knockout at the hands of "Terrible Terry" McGovern in New York. Although Dixon claimed that McGovern had not made weight for the fight, he lost again to McGovern later that year. Dixon fought Abe Attell for the featherweight title in 1901, but his long period of dominance was over. "Loose living," noted the Washington Post, "had made inroads on his constitution." The aging fighter toured England from late 1902 through 1905, hoping to stave off financial problems that had left him with little more in the way of assets than a home he owned in Boston; he was reported to have burned through winnings of more than $100,000. After a December 10, 1906, loss to a boxer named Monk the Newsboy, Dixon retired from the ring.

Hospitalized because of complications from alcoholism, Dixon died in New York on January 6, 1909"

He was also involved in a cool 70 rounds fight with Charles "Cal" McCarthy in 1890...yea 70 rounds.
                      As always, nice post mate, (4 months later I still think Darcy beats Gibbons but...... : )... )

Comment

Working...
                      X