Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what in your estimation prevents duran from being the greatest fighter whoever lived?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    There's a big difference between talking smack and not following through and not being ABLE to follow through because your opponent didn't let you. Case in point, Mayweather says he's going to punch it out with an opponent then running like Carl Lewis when the bell rings. That contrasts with Ali talking about what he was going to do with Frazier only to find Frazier wasn't going to cooperate. The point being the first case involves an act of will while the second involves someone else's will preventing your intent. In other words what Mayweather would fail to do involved a concious decision NOT to back up his mouth. THAT'S what I can't stand. From any athlete. It's not simply a matter of failing to win when you say you will or perform to a standard a you claim you'll perform to; it's about a willful decision NOT to do something.

Poet
    Trust me the name "Gayweather" didn't originate with me. Run a forum search on the name and see how many times it pops up without my name being attached.

Poet
    so you think all mayweather does in a fight is run? Come on Poet you're better than that.. if you have really watched his fights you know better than that.. so i take it you don't have ANY respect for mayweather what so ever as a boxer?

Comment

Like I said, the difference is that Ali promised ass-whoppings with every intent to deliver them; the opponents didn't always cooperate. Ali has credibility as well since, in his prime, if he said he'd stop an opponent in the X round he almost always did! Remember, my issue is with willful decisions not to deliver as opposed to being prevented from delivering by an opponent who came to win too.

Poet
      Mayweather at prime weights (30-35-40) was an exciting fighter to watch, who delivered aggression in sufficient doses for anyone who doesnt need to watch Boom Boom Mancini to be happy.

Just like Ali, when faced by physical adversity (Loss of speed in Ali's case, fighting man outweighing him by 10+ lbs for Mayweather) he fought less exciting. They both kept on announcing ass-whoopings. Ali;s handspeed was still such that he could land on whoever he wanted in the 70s (minus young off the top of my head). He chose not to throw that much, because of fire coming back and to stay fresh. How is that different?

The only two fights you could refer to as boring are Baldomir and Oscar. Both bigger men. Both famous for their chins.

Oscar knocks people out at 154. What the hell did you expect Mayweather to do? Announce that he was going to box him and make sure none of those left hooks landed? How is that different from Ali using all his guile to give us boring fights, after announcing big whoopings? If Oscar looked slower you would have seen Floyd taking more chances.

He even stood close for the 1st half of the Baldomir fight, then saw he couldnt hurt him. See Forrest unloading the kitchen on Baldo... Again, what was he supposed to do? Break those glass hands on Baldomir's skull?

Comment

Trust me the name "Gayweather" didn't originate with me. Run a forum search on the name and see how many times it pops up without my name being attached.

Poet
        Sweet Jesus poet, this is bull****.

If everyone does something ridiculous, dont mean it's cool to do it right? Margarita, Gayweather are fine for the morons on NSB. Not for you.

Comment

Poet...your tough on Mayweather...Wow. Whether you hate him or love him, he deserves our credit for stepping inside the ring and risking his life. Also, he beat everyfighter he ever faced.

Nuff Said!

Comment

Originally posted by wpink1 View Post
            Poet...your tough on Mayweather...Wow. Whether you hate him or love him, he deserves our credit for stepping inside the ring and risking his life. Also, he beat everyfighter he ever faced.

Nuff Said!
            So did Marciano and I see posters ripping him to shreds on this forum all the time.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
              Sweet Jesus poet, this is bull****.

If everyone does something ridiculous, dont mean it's cool to do it right? Margarita, Gayweather are fine for the morons on NSB. Not for you.
              Fair enough point! I can be quite derisive when I wish to be but I can see where you're coming from.

Poet

Comment

Mayweather at prime weights (30-35-40) was an exciting fighter to watch, who delivered aggression in sufficient doses for anyone who doesnt need to watch Boom Boom Mancini to be happy.

Just like Ali, when faced by physical adversity (Loss of speed in Ali's case, fighting man outweighing him by 10+ lbs for Mayweather) he fought less exciting. They both kept on announcing ass-whoopings. Ali;s handspeed was still such that he could land on whoever he wanted in the 70s (minus young off the top of my head). He chose not to throw that much, because of fire coming back and to stay fresh. How is that different?

The only two fights you could refer to as boring are Baldomir and Oscar. Both bigger men. Both famous for their chins.

Oscar knocks people out at 154. What the hell did you expect Mayweather to do? Announce that he was going to box him and make sure none of those left hooks landed? How is that different from Ali using all his guile to give us boring fights, after announcing big whoopings? If Oscar looked slower you would have seen Floyd taking more chances.

He even stood close for the 1st half of the Baldomir fight, then saw he couldnt hurt him. See Forrest unloading the kitchen on Baldo... Again, what was he supposed to do? Break those glass hands on Baldomir's skull?
                Ali wasn't adverse to saying he was going to dance and his opponent couldn't hit what he couldn't see. Ali, though, is usually given a pass on the later stuff because of his track record of making good when he was in his prime.

As for Mayweather, if he had
                Announce that he was going to box him and make sure none of those left hooks landed?
                I would have given him points for honesty. But since he wasn't going to do that then he should have said nothing at all or directed his braggadocio to some other question. Where I come from that kind of smack talk without any attempt to deliver would have gotten him ostrocized by his peers.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by C.Y. View Post
                  so you think all mayweather does in a fight is run? Come on Poet you're better than that.. if you have really watched his fights you know better than that.. so i take it you don't have ANY respect for mayweather what so ever as a boxer?
                  In every fight I've seen him in he looked like a Hector Camacho clone. Maybe he didn't against that 22-19 guy but then I haven't seen that one so I don't know.

PS. I detest Hector Camacho too.

Poet

Comment

Lets see.

Judah aftr the 1st 4rounds he pretty much stayed on top of him and walked him down
                    Baldomir- hit him with everything but the kitchen sink...a bigger man that has a great chin.
                    Hatton - target practice after the 1st 4 rounds, and eventually ko'd him
                    Gotti- brutally beat the **** out of him, made a all time warrior (not topfighter but a warrior ) damm near quit or wish they stopped it..and mayweather moved up to him
                    Corrales - dropped this ko great, undefeated with great hight advantage over him, hmmmm droppped him something like 6 times then stopped him.
                    Ndou - took all this guy had to offer in one round a classic round, then came on and beat the crap out of him....

Poet, you are completley clueless. Just stop please. Your trying to falsly attack a fghter that has more courage than you do (typing very tough in a chatroom), a fighter who has risked his life everytime he steps in the ring, a fighter who has fought great fighers from 130 -154, and is still undefeated. Do I like Mayweather no, but who am i to question his toughness or call him names etc, when I am sitting at home on internet blog.... Lets keep it intelligent, and about the issues poested, if you want to continue this weak debate, you will do so with out me involved, but laughing hysterically at the nerdism of a chat room toughie.

Comment

Originally posted by wpink1 View Post
                      Lets see.

Judah aftr the 1st 4rounds he pretty much stayed on top of him and walked him down
                      Baldomir- hit him with everything but the kitchen sink...a bigger man that has a great chin.
                      Hatton - target practice after the 1st 4 rounds, and eventually ko'd him
                      Gotti- brutally beat the **** out of him, made a all time warrior (not topfighter but a warrior ) damm near quit or wish they stopped it..and mayweather moved up to him
                      Corrales - dropped this ko great, undefeated with great hight advantage over him, hmmmm droppped him something like 6 times then stopped him.
                      Ndou - took all this guy had to offer in one round a classic round, then came on and beat the crap out of him....

Poet, you are completley clueless. Just stop please. Your trying to falsly attack a fghter that has more courage than you do (typing very tough in a chatroom), a fighter who has risked his life everytime he steps in the ring, a fighter who has fought great fighers from 130 -154, and is still undefeated. Do I like Mayweather no, but who am i to question his toughness or call him names etc, when I am sitting at home on internet blog.... Lets keep it intelligent, and about the issues poested, if you want to continue this weak debate, you will do so with out me involved, but laughing hysterically at the nerdism of a chat room toughie.
                      Awwwwww, now you're getting personal. By your standard NO fighter can be criticized because they all risk their lives everytime they step in the ring. And yet YOU did a pretty good job ripping Duran earlier in the thread which was the entire point of the argument in the first place. Who actually brought Mayweather up? You did! You held him up as a paragon of excellence to compare Duran's purported deficienies against. Yet now he's suddenly off-limits to criticism. This is like a game of three-card-monty where you change the standards, even change the issue, each time you're answered.

As to my personal toughness, that isn't really the issue now is it? At least it wasn't untill you once again CHANGED the issue. Even that isn't really pertinent because you speak about which you know nothing. You don't know a thing about me! You don't know what I do for a living or my life history so you have no clue about how tough I am. You are relying on assumptions that are practically always wrong. Now I have yet to make a single personal attack on you but YOU have been getting progressively more personal over the last few posts culminating in this last post where you don't even try to veil the ad-hominum slams. Even so I'm not going to sink to your level they way I might have done with a more assinine poster such as randy johnson. I could easily question your intelligence in the same many you question my courage but I'll refrain from doing so.

It is one thing to disagree with someone, it's quite another move away from the source of the disagreement and make the person you're disagreeing the issue. I have NOT done so. YOU have. I believe you need to rethink how you approach the issues discussed and, as wmute would say, leave the personal insinuations for the morons over at the NSB thread.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X